My c30 refit

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
Hello!

I have a 1976 Catalina 30 Tall Rig that is currently undergoing a complete refit. I'll post pics from time to time to show what is being done.

P.S. I've noticed a few asking about dimensions on particular parts of the boat in other posts. I have mine on the hard and in my back yard. So if anyone needs a quick measurement let me know...I just have to walk out the door.

The first pic is of the day I bought the boat. It was gross..

Attachments

Aug 25, 2010
Catalina 30 Seabrook, TX
Strange, I do not see the storage space, (cut outs) behind the seat-back as in my 1984 C-30. Did they not provide that in the 70's? Lots of room, what are they using it for?

Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
Nice work, sure hope you re-wired it while you were at it. :)
I have a lot of the wiring done (rough though). All new wiring for the engine, instrument panel, breaker panel. I ran some over to the nav station with it's own bus blocks for accessories/gadgets. Just need to buy all the gadgets...my wallet can't wait..:)

Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
Strange, I do not see the storage space, (cut outs) behind the seat-back as in my 1984 C-30. Did they not provide that in the 70's? Lots of room, what are they using it for?
Yeah, I've been considering whether to make cutouts there. I noticed them on some other boats. Do you have any pics of yours?

Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
Here's are closer pics of the hanging locker and the nav station. I used a granite looking laminate for the top of the nav station that I'll use through out the rest of the boat. The two bulkheads to the left and right of the hanging locker are brand new. I made them out of 1/2" birch ply and stained them with a natural teak color. The old ones where rotted and discolored.

Attachments

Jul 7, 2009
Catalina 30 Mark I Stockton, Mo
Looks Good!

I have a 1975 C 30 that I'm going through as well...I like what you've done! I got mine painted top to bottom this summer, and it looks pretty good. I had some core voids in the deck that I had to fix, and I pulled all of the deck hardware so as to repair all of the thru deck holes. I'm refinishing all of the teak, cutting down the nav station, moving the batteries and electrical panels to the right side above the nav station, etc. etc. It's not going nearly as fast as I had hoped it would, but that's OK...I will sail it some day, and it will be all the sweeter knowing all the work that went into it. I just hope it doesn't sink when it finally gets in the water!

Attachments

Jul 7, 2009
Getting a little closer...

These are a couple of my favorite pictures of the renovation...the first is what she looks like with fresh paint top and bottom, the second is the renovated cockpit with 2 new ports installed in the galley and the aft berth. Can't wait to feel the power under sail!

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Catalina 380 16 Rochester NY
Great project! I remember that first picture a few months ago! I never thought to remove the bulkheads an then repaint the interior. Too late for me, but it looks fantastic.

I also like the other boat's idea of a port in the galley. A unique way to moderize the boat!

I have enclosed a few 'during' pics with the openings you guys were talking about (pardon the dust!). They certainly helped with the wiring, I thought they were standard...

Great job!
Chris

Attachments

Dec 11, 2008
Catalina 30 Solomons, MD
chris, I have two questions.

On the re-wiring, did you run most of your wires up in side the seat backs?

On the char table - did you build a new one or just cut up the old one?

Since sailing season is over here, I am just about to tackle the chart table issue...because when I re-wire, I plan to do so with the chart table as the central distribution point, instead of up under the back edge of the galley.

Feb 26, 2008
Catalina 30 Marathon, FL
Foolproof & SailingWebGuy,

Something you may have already found, if not it may be interesting. If you go to the Catalina web site and register as a Catalina owner you can download the original 1970's sales brochure for your boats, along with the Mark II and Mark III brochures. In a complete refit you have the option of incorporating things from later models if you like those ideas.

I have a question though, with so many Catalina 30's out there why start with boats that need complete re-fits?

I'm curious not critical. I love working on my boat, built an addition on my house, have built furniture and do wood turning. So I "get it". I just can't imagine having enough time to tackle a project like this.

I'm also curious if you're tracking how much you have into your boats, or like me do you figure you're better off not knowing?

I used to have a Catalina 22 and there's a guy online who has tracked everything he's put into re-fitting his '74 C22 and the total is now up to $33,500 :eek:

Not for nothing guys the boats look like they're coming along beautifully.

Jim

Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
Jim,

Thanks! I wanted to get a project boat because I've never owned a boat before. So I'm using the re-fit to learn as much as I can about it and how it's built, etc. I'm sure I'll spend more than what its worth..but its my hobby too.

Apr 13, 2010
Catalina 30 Maryland
Are there wood inserts that cover the seat cutouts? I'd really like to add cutouts to mine.

foolproof - nice ports. I like them a lot!

Jul 7, 2009
I decided when we got the boat that I was not going to keep track of the cost. It's not about the money, it's all about the experience! Working on the boat is what keeps me sane (sort of)...I can go to the boat and forget all about the troubles at work, the things that need done at home (bless my wife for letting me out of most things), and the normal things that pop up in my life. I'm sure that I will lose a ton of money when I sell, but the memories and experiences are worth more than money to me.

Hope this helps.

Jimm

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 33.5 Bodkin Creek - Bodkin YC
Starting to rough in new countertops.
Beautiful work! When you're done, you can come renovate mine!!
As an aside, I really appreciate the 'stripped out' pix so now I know what the shell looks like under all the wood :)

Status
Not open for further replies.