My 1st (project) boat

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Thinking I may have to put these updates on my wordpress site, but maybe on a day when it's raining.

I couldn't find my butyl tape, so I did a minor upgrade to the motor attachments on the inside transom. Jeez that space is tight. (Btw I'm 6'1" 226# or so with an advanced personal choc chip cookie storage facility.)

Remove the bulkhead behind the aft most seat at the cabin table. Scrubbed the area under the port cockpit bench, behind said seat. Removed (original?) nuts, washers, and lock washers to motor mount. Wiped bolt and hole. Liberally coated fender washer with (blue) marine grease and slid on over bolt. Greased bolt threads. Reused old washer, lock washer, and nut on each bolt. Did each bolt one at a time as to keep the other three "tight" to support mount.

It's not my ideal improvement to distribute the motor weight on the transom, but it will make me feel better traveling on the highway and while sailing for now.

Btw, do I need to worry about any reaction between the marine grease and the hull? It's a bit after the fact, but I may as well ask

And the we're going sailing today. :)

Attachments

Mar 25, 2015
catalina 22 Fort Walton
Drink, great job man. I am with you, glass refers to the container normally holding my beer though I prefer a Murphys Irish stout. Great job getting the family involved, it's the only way you'll be able to enjoy this hobby/passion without too many frustrated side looks in my humble and inexperienced experience! Lol.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
All those darn bolts in the stern are a PITA to get at.

Thanks for the pics. I have yet to get to that side of the stern and see if there is any sign of problems.
I am planning on rebedding them, but I may just leave them until I get the motor mount rebuild kit I saw mentioned online.

Cheers,
Roy

P.S. If you wish, let me know what your wordpress url is. I'm building a list of links to Catalina 22 sites.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Yum! I haven't had a Murphy's in years. Tip one back for me, please.

Roy, not much on my Wordpress yet, but might here's the link anyway. My last one about wearing "1st boat buyer's goggles" might be useful to someone new.

https://bierdaddy.wordpress.com

Btw, motor is still attached after a sail. Guess I tightened the bolts well enough.

15-18 NNE today. Will fly 1/3 jib on furler and at least one reef. Should be fun today. I'll let you all know later. :)