My 1st (project) boat

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Catalina 22 South Lake Tahoe
i think your missing a horncleat. The cleat goes in the sail track and you tie the boom down haul to it.
Your likely also missing a topping lift or pigtail at the aft endof the boom.

Look just bellow the jibsheet winch and you can see the cleat.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Yup, Thats what I have. On the bottem of that link is the slugs for the sail track, dont forget to order at least 2 or 3 of the slugs. I have a slug with a thumbscrew that I can move around. (altho I have yet to find a use for it yet but its in the mast and musta been for something at some time?)

also look at the tooping lift when ordering and order or make one.
The pigtail is semi dangerous and can not be use to aid light air sail trim.

Good luck and have fun.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
I don't think there's any difference between my '81 and your '86 in this regard. Here's a pic of my fittings, which are all available from Catalina Direct.

Attachments

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Hay stingy.
What dose the sail stop do.
Thats the slug with the thumbscrew that I was refering to in my post.

Thanks for all the help.

Jul 23, 2013
It can be used a couple of ways. The intended way is above the slug slot to hold the slugs above the slot when you reef the mainsail if you don't have mast gates but do have a jack line in the mainsail. Since I have mast gates, I use it below the boom to hold the front of the boom up when the mainsail is down and the topping lift is holding up the other end. It keeps the bullet block that's attached to my gooseneck for the boom downhaul from coming down onto the jam cleat and it helps hold the boom above the bimini.

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Good info, guys.

Guessin' I'll buy 4 then: 1 above the mast for reefing (I don't have mast gates), 1 below to hold the boom sans main sail, and 2 for the cleat.

Are mast tracks a standard size, meaning can I buy the slugs anywhere, not just Catalina Direct? If yes, can you recommend another store for hardware besides CatDirect or West Marine? Or is there a sticky post somewhere for recommended sail hardware stores?

Thanks.

May 19, 2014
Lifelines

My 1st swaging. :) I now have a port side lifeline.

image-2276434372.jpg

image-2760443058.jpg

RJD

Aug 31, 2013
Catalina 22 Chesapeake Bay, Deale, MD
Surge Brakes & Tires

After breaking a stud off the port wheel hub, I discovered the stud/hub is integral to the surge brakes (drum). I snapped a few pics, but still can't tell if its a 10" or 12". I'm guessing 10". Either the PO or the guy before him went wacko with grey spray paint trying to hid trailer woes. However, it looks like both drum assemblies are quite rusted and tired. I'd rather replace the whole drum than try to individual pieces. I believe it was Stingy who had a link to etrailer.com on his blog. I prefer recommendations to ads, so I give them a good look.

Are there any brands, eg: Tie Down, Triton, etc. I should avoid? I already have the hydraulic lines and drums are within my budget. Also, any mechanical tips that saved you time if you did your own brake job?

As always, many Thanks in advance. :)
When I rebuilt my trailer almost two years ago, I installed a new Atwood surge brake and Titan 10- by 2 1/4-inch free-backing drum brake assemblies purchased from the online Trailer Parts Superstore - www.easternmarine.com Everything still working fine today. I have a thread of the rebuild posted under Catalina 22 trailer rebuild.

Attachments

May 19, 2014
You probably know all this already, so I apologize if I'm wearing my Capt. Obvious hat right now. Not sure if there's a trailer review/buying thread, but here's what I didn't know before buying my 1st boat & trailer:

..check all bolts holding bunks and brackets together. Rusted or shiny? {mine are nearly rusted away}
..check bunk boards/wood. Rotten, wet, dark brown, crumbly or nice, dry, solid, light color/good wood? {can't tell yet, mine are completely covered by cloth}
..surge breaks? Drums? Rusty? Functional? Are the hydraulic hard lines rusted? Is there fluid in those lines? Are the flexible lines flexible or stiff with cracks/holes? Is the master cylinder (at the front of the trailer) functional? Is the fill cap/nut functional/rust shut/cross threaded? {mine is cross threaded and rusted tight}
..how are those tires? {9" tear in tread on one just waiting to explode on a curve, yah, unknowingly drove 100+mi with that}

So anyone have success lifting their C22 (w/pics) for trailer repairs at home? I've read a lot about resources in forums and blogs; thanks to those posters I'm encouraged I might be able to do some things at home.

Jul 23, 2013
Shoot, that's nuthin'! I wish my original trailer was in that good of shape.

Anybody need a trailer cheap?;)

May 19, 2014
Ha! Yah, I saw that project, $tingy. I love that drain hole in the drum assembly. Guessing that was the PO's unintentional mod? :laugh: :cry: I was hoping you'd have some pics of how you lifted your boat for the repairs. Did you do that at a marina or do you own jack stands? I'm afraid of stressing the bunk bolts up front if I lift the stern. :confused: i might just do the work while the boat is floating, as long as my crew (wife, 7&5 yo) doesn't mind waiting a bit. I'm thinking serious ice cream bribery.

Do you, or anyone else, have pics/drawing about how to attach new bunk bolts from the bottom? I can't imagine the boards just sit on the bolts with only gravity holding them down, but I don't know what fittings you'd use that would't bulge the carpet, denting/scratching the hull.

Surge Brakes (still)
Cleaned up the right side bearing buddy which was covered in old grease. Took me a while id the BB. Thought it might have been/hoping it was? an EZ lube spindle. Nope. The genius PO painted over the left BB cap, as well as the whole actuator. Not sure how to loosen the painted and crossed threaded fluid fill cap. Is it worth a little pen oil in the lines to break the paint seal, or is that really bad to do? image-3734016067.jpg image-2102402919.jpg

Wiring Good news: battery reconditioned and working. Cabin light works. Bad news: no other light works on the boat. I thought I repaired the mast wiring at the base adequately. image-2593911124.jpg image-2206613562.jpg Guessing I'll have to check wire connections now, starting at the c.board and working from there. Any history of bad wiring in C22's that might help to limit my search for the disconnect?

Jul 23, 2013
Lifting the boat was the easy part, really. For changing out the bunk boards, I just used three jacks evenly spaced on one side of the trailer frame at a time. Put wood blocks up against the hull and gradually raised each one until there were a few inches of clearance over the whole bunk board.

I bolted one end of a bunk board down, used a cinch strap to hold the middle down, and lifted the other end onto the bunk by hand. Treated lumber, which is what you want to use, will bend quite easily. With the free end in position, lower the boat onto the board and it will bend to fit the hull. Then you can bolt the free end down.

Changed out one side, then repeated on the other. Easy peasy. The same method would work front to back. Make sure everything stays stable. Block your trailer wheels well first. Keep the trailer winch taut but not cinched. Do it on level ground, etc. If you want to lift the whole boat at the same time, use cinder blocks and some burly wood for lateral support under the stern and lengthwise support near the bow and near the keel pivot where the boat is strongest. There are numerous threads with pics about it. Floating the boat for smallish jobs is another option. I also have a small lake nearby where I can quickly launch, make changes, and haul out in a couple hours. It's nice to not have to crawl around under the boat.

Regarding the bolts, you can either countersink them through the top of the board so they don't hit the hull and use nuts underneath or use short lag bolts from underneath like I did. Unless you use SS bolts, they will rust, eventually. Countersinks will trap water around the bolt head to destroy it and the nuts and threads underneath will destroy themselves. Lag bolts from underneath will stay drier and be easier to remove in the future if you need to. All they need to do is hold the bunk board on the bunk, they don't carry any weight.

About the surge brakes, not sure what you mean by "...pen oil in the lines to break the paint seal."

My experience with the wiring has been that most problems are at the connections. That and general corrosion of the conductors starting at any opening in the insulation and extending from there along the conductor, especially in the bilge. I'm not positive about the 2nd generation boats, but the wiring in the 1st gen boats is almost entirely laid up in the glass except around the panel and at the junctions where they used three-way connectors but those are painted over. There are schematic diagrams aplenty online, so find the one for yours and identify what and where all your wires are. Then start tracing continuity at each connection from the source outward. Repair any bad connections with waterproof, marine grade supplies so you don't have to do it again.

I'm currently finishing up rewiring my entire boat. Between the new wiring for devices I've added, replacing all the cobbled up feeders, and fixing bad connections, it just made sense to start over and do the whole thing right with modern, marine grade components to ABYC standards. I'll be posting several articles about that project starting in the next couple weeks.

May 19, 2014
There are brake and wheel washer that flush out the drums and brakes. The nozzle is to a hole in the backing plate. The idea is that you run your hoses from the brakes to the tongue where you attach a garden hose and flush them out. http://www.jamestowndistributors.com/userportal/document.do?docId=1062
Thanks for the link, caguy. That's a neat way to flush out the drums. Not sure I need it since I'm only on inland (fresh water) lakes and maybe Lake Michigan, but it's good to know someone. Has a flush system design available. Hmm, maybe I could use it for rinsing the boat after pulling out of a lake to reduce transfer of foreign/invasive species to other lakes. It's a real problem up here in WI. Zebra muscles devastated the area a few years ago.

As for the "pen spray", $tingy, it was my poor attempt at describing how to remove a cross threaded filler cap/bolt on my brake actuator's hydraulic fluid reservoir. The PO spray painted everything, making the trailer look pretty for an inexperienced buyer, like me. The cap is jammed, so I can't remove it to check if there's any brake fluid in the system. I can probably scrape the paint off some threads to allow penetrating oil to seep in to loosen the bolt. My question was whether it is bad to let the penetrating oil seep into the hydraulic fluid reservoir. Though I'm guessing that the small amount of pen spray will be diluted in the fluid enough to have little effect on brake performance. I'll post a pic when I can.

Jul 23, 2013
Ah, "pen"atrating oil. Got it. Yeah, use a utility knife to cut through the paint around the bottom of the cap, scrape off what you can, and if it's rusted shut, soak it with PB Blaster or WD40 oil for a day or so. Then try wrenching it loose by working it back and forth in both directions until it loosens up. Don't worry about getting any pen oil in it. If it's corroded shut, the fluid hasn't been changed in a long time and should be flushed anyway. Then you'll be able to see how much water, rust, and gunk were in the piston and lines. If you're lucky, it's a plastic cap and it will come out easy and is easy to replace if you need to destroy it getting it off.

May 19, 2014
Time for an update. Been drysailing too long, but unforeseen boat projects have plagued me as of late.

Trailer

The surge brake actuator is junk. Busted a screw trying to fit a wrench on the metal filler cap for the master cylinder. The screw was rusted through. Guessing it's time to replace rather than find more and more to repair. Also, had a huge surprise when I went to check the bearings and drum brakes. There were no internal parts for either drum brake backing plate. It's like someone removed just before reinstalling new? bearings and old hubs. In fact, I have a standard spindle on the left wheel, yet a nippled spindle (EZ lube or similar?) on the right side. It's like the PO just grabbed whatever was available to piece together a frankentrailer for the 2x he used it every season. To save a little $$, I'm just ordering new, free backing drums, lines, and actuator rather than going to discs. I already put $$ into new drum/hubs, thinking to just repair the backing plates and actuator. Hate to eat that $120.

Mast Raising

Built a gin pole. :) will try it in the next few days with extra neighbor help, just incase my engineering is a little lacking. Question for those who use a gin pole: do you use the jib halyard on the gin pole or set another line for raising the mast. I wasn't sure which would be better to use between the jib halyard or forestay with the further attached. Will using the halyard wreck the furler attachment at the top of the mast?

Motor

Neighbor cam over and woke up the 2000 Johnson 6hp 2-stroke for me. A bit smoky with last year's gas, but purrs like a kitten, with bad breath. Now I just have to reenforce the motor mount with a backing plate inside the hull. Is butyl tape all I need for reinstalling the mount, or do I have to do anything fancy like some epoxy glass coat mix stuff?

Stanchions

I have two, one on either side that leak a bit. They allow too much movement with a soft looking area under the deck. Been reading up on the repair for this. Looks like i need to do some scraping under the deck to clear out the rotted core, then fill the space with an epoxy mix, and drill new pole for to remount the stanchions. Dealing with the core, through deck hardware, and epoxy makes me nervous.

Still trying to put her in more wet than just rain, but it's nice to learn and finish projects myself. My family is getting anxious to try her out soon; so am I. Also, I mean to win a bet with my neighbor that she'll be sailing before this October.

Jul 23, 2013
The old shoes and cylinders were probably junk so the PO tossed them, figuring he wouldn't need them anyway. That's what the PO of mine did.

I use the forestay to step the mast so there's nothing to slip. I also use the boom as my gin pole with a hinge tab at the mast step and the main sheet attached to the stem fitting to do the lifting. Works great and no extra bulky gear to haul around.

No complicated sealant needed for the engine mount, just butyl works fine.

Sounds like your biggest job will be that deck.

That's my .02