My 1st (project) boat

May 19, 2014
Catalina 22 #13555 Lake Winnebago, Oshkosh, WI
Yes, this is culmination of a 10 year plan: plan for boat, married, house, kids, kids can swim, money saved, major house projects done, buy a sailboat. It's a project boat, but she has a solid enough hull, is the refresh design ('86, seperate fuel compartment, no sliding galley, forward hatch), has a solid keel for stability (wife happy), porta potty (kids happy), and, even with projects, is still more affordable than a corvette (I'm happy). I bought the boat as a family galvanizer, seeing as we seem to share only the dinner table. Also, if I can instill half my love for being on the water in my young kids, they'll surely become life-long sailors.

That said, I have a more projects than handy man experience. "Glass" usually referred to my proper pint, usually Guinness, so even dings and scratches repair is new to me. Any and all help coupled with short stories of experience are a very happy welcome to help me as I make her not only more lake worthy, but more mechanically solid as well as a bit easier on the eyes.

I bestow a very honest Thank you for any replies, ideas, scoldings, recommendations, and humor you all have to offer as I work on my 10 year dream. :)

Attachments

May 19, 2014
The Rudder

One of my 1st concerns is a split in the edge of the rudder. I already combed the forums here, but maybe I missed a better thread.

I believe it's the original rudder, but, jeez, this thing is heavy. Were the rudders always heavy or do I have to worry about some kind of break down inside caused by water damage? It hasn't seen water since last season and no moisture has seeped out since I've had it in the drive. Do I need some sort of drying agent 1st, like acetone? I read all about epoxy and gel coat, but see what looks like a wood interior. Guessing that wood glue is a no-no, what do you recommend I use as a repair filling?

Attachments

May 19, 2014
Love this post. I hope you'll make our forum a regular stop.
Thanks, Phil. I've actually been here reading up on 22's for a while. Part of my plan included boat research, and the 22 fit the bill. Now that I actually have a boat, I finally decided to begin posting.

Looking forward to being here more actively. :dance:

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Congratulations. Our first boat was a 1981 C22, #10496. While it's great to learn from posts here, I think what you'll find is that many of will guide you to respected reference sources, in many cases both internet resources and,, gasp!, BOOKS.

If you've been here a while, you may already know about the C22 IA as well as some of their members who have created their own websites and/or blogs about what they've done with their boats.

A superb book on boat repairs is Don Casey's This Old Boat, a true treasure trove of fix-it details. There's a third edition out now, but the 2nd edition would do you just fine.

Have fun.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Catalina 22 South Lake Tahoe
Welcome Milk.
Good call on not buying the corvet..Ha ha im a MOPAR guy. (without the mullet)

That rudder looks kinda scary to me. It may even be toast....
If it was mine I would think about grinding some of the bad wood at the top out and filling with a quality thin epoxy. Try to get it to run in then clamp that sucker tight let dry and hope it never fails.....

Or just get a new one....
Im super down to fix things but I would hate to have the steering wheel fall off my car at full speed and your rudder is dang near the same thing..

Im workiing on my rudder now and just remarked to my buddy how heavey just the blade is. It seems to be some sort of quality hard wood covered in glass and painted.

good luck, welcome and lets see what others say because Ive been wrong more than once.

Ken

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 22 P. P. Y. C.
Just about anything you do in the bandaid class will certainly fail.
Depending on your skill level you can do what many others have done, carefully continue the split all the way around then remove the wet useless core and replace it with a new one. Use epoxy to put it back together fair and paint, should be good for many years.

One thing for sure it must be addressed, it's only a matter of time until it fails in its present state.

Good luck, keep us posted on your decision....

Should you decide to replace, you have several options.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Welcome to the family! I also recently purchased a 2nd generation C-22 like you have. My rudder is in nice shape, it's my keel that's shot and will be be replaced. The summer is already here, so do you want to spend a good portion of the summer fixing up a bad rudder? And you still may be spending fifty cents to try and save a nickle. "IF" you intend on racing in C-22 events, you'll have to stick with a factory rudder. But, the 2nd generation boats we're noted for being a little on the chunky side, but a GREAT cruiser. As already mentioned, I LOVE my Rudder-Craft rudders. It will be the last rudder you'll ever buy, and it's one of the best single things you can do to improve a C-22 in my opinion. The boat steers nicer, and with only two fingers due to their balanced design. They will never absorb water, and "IF" it the blade fails, Rudder-Craft replaces it,(original owner only). Nothing wrong with the factory rudders, they've made thousands of them, and thousands of them are in use all over the world, so that says something for sure. But in my collection I've got 4 rudders, two factory rudders, and two Rudder-Craft rudders, guess which ones stay in the garage? Try and locate a C-22 Fleet in your area, they will have lot's of advice also for you, and might even be able to lend a hand. Check out the National C-22 web site for a contact for a local fleet. Good luck with the boat and we always like photos, lot's of photos!!!!!!!!!

Don

May 19, 2014
Thanks, guys. Good to hear from so many of you so quickly. I'm also part of another forum called dadshideout.com, but only one current sailor there. You guys are my experts as the other forum guys wait for the "oops" pics of me mid-project.

Great advice all around. My repair skills are not quite there yet for an epoxy recore, but I'll save it as a spare and project for a future date. I did look at the more balanced blade on the RudderCraft set-up. It looks very nice. How effective is that strut? Sounds nice, but has it been around a while to work out the bugs? I'm saving for that currently, as, yah it would be unfortunate if that original rudder broke mid-sail. Not too convincing an investment for the wife if we end up motoring more than sailing. :lol

So far, I muscled the mast up with some neighbors (owe the all some 6-packs), cleaned and inventoried the interior, aired out the cabin and cushions, and raised the pop-top. My next big projects include updating the surge brakes on the trailer, setting up the snapfurler, and making an attempt at all the rigging for the boom/mainsail. I picked up the mast raise pole, owner's manual, led cabin light, and some gel coat repair supplies from CD, which took forever to receive via shipping. It was like a mini-Christmas. :)

Enough for now. Pics and updates as they come.

Fair winds to you all,
John

Nov 19, 2008
The gas strut on Rudder-Craft's kick-up version is to hold the blade down, but "if" you hit something, it allows the blade to come up, and once your clear, it automatically pushes the rudder blade back down. Plus, you just pull a line and the rudder blade swings up out of the water, now the gas strut holds the rudder blade in the fully up position. It's a BEAUTIFUL design!

One thing I didn't care for was the tiller attachment on their kick-up rudder. Our tillers are supported by a little knob on the rudder under the end of the tiller. Only the Rudder-Craft kick-up version supports the tiller with a couple little stainless steel tangs on the side. I already had my racing rudder/tiller assembly with the heavy duty stainless steel straps from Catalina Direct. So to correct this problem, I installed the tiller from my racing rudder/tiller unit, and it works like a champ! The tiller is supported on the sides by the thick tiller straps from Catalina Direct. It does require you to drill an additional hole for the mounting bolt about 1 1/2" further forward, so you need to invest in a special drill bit to drill the additional hole in the thick stainless steel straps. But, I can use the same pretty tiller on any rudder, factory design, the fixed Rudder-Craft design, or the Rudder-Craft kick-up design. It's already set-up with a pin for the auto-pilot to mount to, and it has the fitting for the Fore-Spar tiller extension.

Another advantage with my kick-up Rudder-Craft unit is it's design allows me to fabricate mounts that attach to the heavy stainless steel frame assembly. This way I'll mount my mast crutch to the rudder already handing on the transom while trailering. The rudder is verticle, so it's not in the way, and just eliminates more stuff to take off and put back on while trailering. Rudder-Craft will already sell you their mast crutch kit that fit's on their kick-up rudder, I'm just going to basically copy their idea and use one of my mast crutch's from Catalina Direct.

Don

May 19, 2014
Thanks for the info, Don. I ordered a kick-up from CatDirect. Nearest I could tell, it's the same offered by Ruddercraft. I noticed the C22 was not i. The Ruddercraft sailboat list. Guessing CatDirect is the "middle-man" for RC?

It wasn't hard to justify the new rudder to the admiral, but she hasn't seen the bill yet. :D I feel better knowing that a new rudder will be with the boat assuredly longer than the cracked one. Hopefully that helps my case.

Don, you said I'd need a special drill bit to go through the stainless tangs. Do you mean cobalt or some high end type bit?

Ok, next two projects: Surge brakes & rigging the boom/main.

May 19, 2014
Surge Brakes & Tires

After breaking a stud off the port wheel hub, I discovered the stud/hub is integral to the surge brakes (drum). I snapped a few pics, but still can't tell if its a 10" or 12". I'm guessing 10". Either the PO or the guy before him went wacko with grey spray paint trying to hid trailer woes. However, it looks like both drum assemblies are quite rusted and tired. I'd rather replace the whole drum than try to individual pieces. I believe it was Stingy who had a link to etrailer.com on his blog. I prefer recommendations to ads, so I give them a good look.

Are there any brands, eg: Tie Down, Triton, etc. I should avoid? I already have the hydraulic lines and drums are within my budget. Also, any mechanical tips that saved you time if you did your own brake job?

As always, many Thanks in advance. :)

Attachments

caguy

Sep 22, 2006
Catalina, Luger C-27, Adventure 30 Marina del Rey
When I did the Luger 30 I found that they come in complete sets all pre assembled. You just have to bolt on the backing latest with the rest of the assembly. Finding seals for the bearings was a job but finally located some at Napa.
Depending on how far you are driving you may not need any brakes. My Mac25 came without brakes and it weighed 2700 lbs plus the trailer. I trailer that from Los Angeles to Tahoe up and down steep windy mountains without any problems.
On the Cat 27 (7000#s) the breaks totally disintegrated so I removed them. I only travel about 100 yards so not a problem.
Chances are you will have to replace the master cylinder or whole surge break unit not to mention the brake lines.
If you can get away without brakes you wild be better off. Spend the money on a new rudder and go sailing.
BTW do repack the bearings it looks like you have bearing buddies.

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
Drinkmilk,

They're most likely 10" but measure the drum diameter to be sure. Lots of rust is common on the drums, they're often bare metal when the trailer is built. The studs and the ground surfaces are the important parts. If either are obviously unserviceable or suspect, they're inexpensive to replace. Just like your car, you can take the drums to a brake shop and they will measure them for you to see if they can be reground. Replace the shoes if you regrind or replace the drums.

If the backing plate assemblies aren't in good working condition, those four bolts in the axle flange hold the whole assembly on, which you want to replace as a unit. They don't look too bad in your picture. If you decide to replace them, take care with the hydraulic line flare nut, which might be seized on pretty good. If it won't come loose with a normal end wrench and moderate effort, get a flare nut wrench. It's like a closed end wrench but has a slot to go over the line. Because if you mangle the nut trying to get it loose, you'll need to replace the lines whether you wanted to or not.

Use a flashlight to inspect the inside of the actuator reservoir for moisture and rust. If there's much, consider replacing it and the lines since rust can clog a line over time.

Getting the brakes in good working condition is worth the effort. Check the state laws where you trailer. They might be required over a certain gross trailer weight or over a certain percentage of the tow vehicle weight. I'm glad I added them to my trailer even through they are required by law in my case. They make the trip to the lake that much more relaxing when you don't have to allow that extra braking distance without them.

I can't speak to your question of brands to avoid. Hopefully, other will chime in with their experiences too.

Here's a link to the article on my blog in case it helps: http://stingysailor.wordpress.com/2013/12/29/trailer-surge-brakes-solution

Best of luck. Keep us updated.

May 19, 2014
I considered just removing the drum brakes, but I'm towing with an '07 Toyota RAV4 with the v6 + tow package. I'm probably close to my tow limit (3500#) when including gear and family in the car. Surge brakes might make towing a little easier at stops. While making the 120+/- mile ride home with our new old boat, I heard ocassional banging of the trailer hitch if I came to a moderately quick stop, then again as I slowly accelerated from an intersection. I'm guessing the brake actuator was trying to engage while sliding, but lack of pads, fluid, or something else prevent the surge brakes from working. We'll be trailering to lakes within 100 miles of home, so reliable stopping is a must.

I'll check the drum internals after I remove the wheel today. If I can save $$ by replacing just a part or two, then yee-haw!

Questions:
How easy should it be to slide the actuator? Does it rely on trailer weight, or can I test it by hand?

Is there anyway to determine if the brake lines are seized by rust, maybe with a test fluid or something? Filling and bleeding brake lines will be another 1st for me.

May 19, 2014
Oh, I should've reworded my brake brands question better: are there any brands that you prefer and use/would recommend? Didn't mean to open up to potential brand bashing here. :naughty:

Nov 19, 2008
Drinkmilk,

You'll LOVE the Rudder-Craft rudder. Just spoke with Joel yesterday about adapting my kick-up rudder to also serve as the mounting for my mast crutch when trailering. Stand-by for some NEAT information,(no drilling will be required!!!!). GREAT company to do business with. Catalina Direct or Rudder-Craft, guess it doesn't make any difference. Don't know why you couldn't find the C-22 rudders in their catalog. Independent companies, but both selling some neat products.

Also, Rudder-Craft has been a HUGE supporter of the Havasu Pocket Cruiser Convention from the conception. They make GREAT products, and support the pocket cruiser family. Can't get much better than that.

To modify the heavy duty tiller straps from Catalina Direct, you'll need a bit designed for stainless steel. I first used about an 1/8" bit, followed by the larger bit for the hole,(don't remember what size it was. I have some phoos of the project that I can post.

On the issue of trailer brakes. If things are that bad, might want to consider switching to disc brakes. Less maintenance, GREAT stopping, and the actuator can be adapted by changing the orifice for disc brakes. Had mine changed over last year and WOW!!! what a difference! Don't know the brand of the items, a local trailer supply shop did the work for me. The noise you hear starting and stopping is the actuator moving back and forth. Probably has no brake fluid, or air in the system. Do you have the quick disconnect coupler so you can disconnect the brakes when you extend the trailer extension?

Don

Jul 23, 2013
1981 Catalina 22 #10330 Bayview, ID
The actuator shouldn't be easy to apply by hand but possible with considerable effort or a pry bar. If your actuator has a breakaway lever (and it should), you can apply it there by hand. I recommend bleeding the system in any case. Then you'll be able to see if there's water or rust in the system and how much. I wouldn't worry too much about a tiny bit of either. If a lot of rust comes out or one side doesn't bleed, you should replace the lines. If neither side bleeds and there's plenty of fluid in the reservoir, you may need new a new actuator. I'd consider replacing the lines at the same time so there's no doubt about them.

I don't know about all systems, but a bleeding/vacuum pump kit didn't work with the actuator I installed. The cylinder apparently doesn't have a bypass like an automotive system. So, you might have to do it the old-school way with a helper pumping the actuator while you open the bleed valve at the brake cylinder at the start of each pump and close it at the end of each pump to keep air out of the system. There's probably some videos on YouTube of doing this.

May 19, 2014
Ok, while waiting on on some things to arrive via mail service...

Rigging the Boom

Does anyone have a pic/diagram of what should accompany the boom on an '86 C22? I have, well, nothing. I slide the boom into the open mast gate and it, well, unless I hold it, will just fall to the deck. Is there a stop pin or cleat or something that should be in there? If so, is there a company that makes/sells replacements for it?

Attachments