My 1980 Hunter 30 rennovation

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Almost all ports were damaged.

So I used my zip cut to trim them and make them safe. I used 320 grits sandpaper to finish. Really easy to do. A one hour job!

Exemple of before:

After:

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Beautiful work!! I really like the vee berth walls and your LED light fixtures!

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Thanks for comments!

John, the H37 has a very nice shape!

Here are some pictures of my arch I'm building. I tested the fit yesterday.

Cette fois-ci, je n'ai pas oublié mes serre-joints! Des boulons temporaires ont fait office de sécurité pour les tests...

Yé! Ça fonctionne!

Last edited:
Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
[quote=Nereussailor;1139285]Fuligule, Can you elaborate on cutting down the ports? What's a zip cut?[/quote]

Hi Nereussailor,

I used a little grinder with a zip cut disc (one for cutting metal). These discs are very thin and must be used only for cutting, not grinding!

Here is a picture of the grinder I'm talking about:

And here is a picture of the disc I used (zip cut discs). I don't remember if it was a steel or aluminium disc, but it does'nt matter. Both can do the job! Maybe there is a existing category of disc that could be mouted on these kind of grinder for plastic cutting, but I don't know. It shears a little bit and heat, but with good gloves and eyes protection, it is very easy to do. I used 220 or 320 grit sandpaper to finish and retire shearing.

I hope it is clear now!

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
Thanks for the info. I installed my ports when I bought my H30 and never cut them off. I was looking for a good way to do it, but couldn't think of what tool was the best one for the job so I just left them long. I scrape my legs on them all the time and they just need to be shortened.
Approximately how far did you leave them sticking out from the trim ring?

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi Nereussailor,

By memory, about 1 inche. But the upper and lower ring section are were not exactly cut with the same mesurement because of the shape of the grinder. I cut off all I could. You could use a rasp to acheive the work.

We get to the boat today and will be back in few days. I could mesure them and take more pictures.

I hope it will help you!

kito

Sep 13, 2012
1979 Hunter Cherubini 30 Clemmons
If you don't have a die grinder, I found the oscillating saw to be quite valuable. Just use a fine tooth blade. Easier to control and cut straight plus less mess. Great tool to have.

Mar 22, 2004
Hunter 30 Vero Beach
I Bought the ports about 10 years ago, and I can't remember if I bought them through the store on this site, or from Pompanette, but I think it was through here. I was going to buy the Tri-matrix ports from New Found Metals, but they didn't come in the larger size that the ports above the Galley and Nav station needed to be. I really didn't want to go through the trouble of glassing in the holes.

beau

Aug 11, 2014
Hunter 33c Burlington
contact

Hi Figule, I am new to forum and new to sailing. I am co-owner to be of Hunter 33 1980. I really appreciate the work you did. I believe you live near Montreal. Do you speak french? How can I get in touch with you? (Please contact me directly at my email address if possible because not certain I will know how to navigate on forum: francois.beauregard@gmail.com ). Merci. François

Hi everyone,

Here are a few pictures and a modest presentation of my last project who became a familial sailboat project rennovation. This is a 1980 Hunter 30. First of all, I let you know that I am not used to write in english, but I will try to do my best to be clear as possible!

We bought her in Vermont in april 2012 after 2 years of research and visiting sailboats of this category. We began to look only at Hunter 30, Catalina 30 and Ericson 29 built around this period of time and who were needing some TLC. We choose the Hunter for several reasons and we began to wait for an opportunity… we found one on spring 2012 and of course, this is not my first sailboat project, I knew what I was buying : time, work, and a bit of money… and it’s not finished!
So, here are some pictures I tooked when I bough the sailboat before I took here to Canada, in a marina near from my house, so I could work on it easily and minimise gaz (the boat was based in Vermont and it took me 3 hours each time I went there to see her. 6 hours total : very to far to let her staying there).

I will tray to detail each step in next weeks.

Exterior

Before, summer of 2012, I'm getting the boat to home.

Fixing the deck for paint (summer 2013)

After :

Wednesday 18th 2014, the boat is the water after 2 years of rennovation.

June 19th 2014, the boat is in his new marina

Here is the deck painted (september 2013)

Interior

Before :

After (may 2014):

Here is a general list of what I did in the two past years :

- I took out the water heater tank, first thing I did when I sailed her for the first time. This tank took a lot a place in the cockpit. No need this thing!

- I redefined the water line, because she was false, too high at bow and too low in center and stern, not parallel.

- I fixed the hull because the gelcoat was scratched particulary on portside and stern. 3M mastic, epoxy and sanding.

- I painted the hull with a new color. 4 layers of Perfection Interlux polyurethan paint on 2 layers of Primekote Interlux epoxy primer. White lines were rolled and tipped with Interlux Perfection paint.

- I painted all the deck after fixing a lot of small holes in the gelcoat and several imperfections. I used Primekote Interlux epoxy primer and Intedeck Interlux with sand paint. Also, Prekote primer and 2 layers of Brightside Interlux one part paint using roll and tip technic.

- I cutted the exterior contour lines of the cabin ports because they were unsecure. I fixed one using automotive bumper epoxy.

- I fixed the cockpit panel (who gives a direct access to the batterys and stuffing box) by renforcing and raise the base with fiberglass. Cracks and old screws were leaking making water entering in the boat. Poor installation. I raised my wood cockpit floor on the same level, and put a foam selaer. Now it is really easy to remove the panel without using any tool and it is sealed.

- I changed all the plumbing, except the old hoses used for the hot water. They were in very good condition. All other hoses, collets, sleeves, kitchen and head tap, were changed by new ones.

- I removed all the stanchions (they were loose and crooked) and I fixed them. I used shims for some of these and I put butyl tap because they were leaking. Now, no water is entering!

- I did the same with all the bolts each side in the joint of the hull and deck. I alaways use butyl tape.

- I installed a black water tank with a new Jabsco marine toilet. Rigid and soft pipes have been used.

- I fixed the Bomar V-berth hatche, he was leanking and missing cylindre to maintain it in place. I add also a solar fan.

-I had a anchor davits I made in stainless steel to get my new Rocn anchor.

- All the electrical, except cabin lights, running lights and 110V wires, was replaced. I also maked my own cabin lights from brasilian mahogany with LED technology on my woodturning lathe.

- I took out 4 thru hull who were not in service. Epoxy resin and fiberglass clothe. I also took out a Dinast plate screwed on the exterior of the hull.

- I scraped all the wood in the cabin I could. A lot of woodworking have been done in my workshop at home, so only the parts I could’nt remove have been worked in place.

- I replaced a lot of wood pieces in the cabin by new ones made of brasilian mahogany.

- hand rails have been removed and replaced by new ones. Most of the exterior teak pieces have been replaced by new ones in mahogany.

- wood floor have been takken out and replaced by a linoleum wih wood aspect.
- Ice box have been reisolated.

- All bulkhead and electrical compartment have been painted with Bilgekote Interlux paint.

- Engine compartment have been cleaned up.

- I installed a new depth finder and removed previous.

- I made a new cabin table and fixe dit.

- All cabin wood have been treated with tung oil.

- I modified the kitchen drawers. I made new ones and bigger! I removed all the kitchen cabinet to fix it and paint the hull by interior.

- And so on…

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi Figule, I am new to forum and new to sailing. I am co-owner to be of Hunter 33 1980. I really appreciate the work you did. I believe you live near Montreal. Do you speak french? How can I get in touch with you? (Please contact me directly at my email address if possible because not certain I will know how to navigate on forum: francois.beauregard@gmail.com ). Merci. François
Bonjour François,

Je t'ai envoyé un courriel!

Sébastien

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Here are some pictures of my ice box conversion kit installation. The compressor was installed in the lazaret and the thermostat on the wall behind the ice box. I used foam to avoid the cooling tube to vibrate. I bought Isotherm product.

To be continued...

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 33.5 Sackets Harbor
Job very well done! I love seeing mahogany, it is my favorite marine wood. Did you build a companion way hatch also, i did not see a pic of it.

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Job very well done! I love seeing mahogany, it is my favorite marine wood. Did you build a companion way hatch also, i did not see a pic of it.
Hi turk397,

Thanks for your comments. I love mahogany too! Rich color and easy to work with.

I just replaced the companion hatch panel because I was'nt able to unscrew the fiberglass top. It become a futur poject. I would like to replace the 2 wood teak pieces of the companion hatch. When we get to the boat, this hatch is almost opened and we don't see it, so it is not a priority for me. Next summer, I would like to replace the wood pieces under the cockpit winches by new ones in mahogany.

Here are few pictures:

Jun 25, 2013
Hunter 30 Montreal
Hi,

Here are few more pictures of what I have done in the two or three last weeks.
More mahagony pieces...

Sorry for the bad pictures quality, but light was not so good last time I get to the boat. Tese are the last thing I could do this years. Temperatures are two low and snow is getting too high at the marina so it is really difficult to work aboard.

The upper fiberglass quarter bed panel is not pretty. I decided to use this unused space for a AM/FM radio with more mahogany.

More support for the bed on port side. Only one was not enough.

A shelf in the bathroom to avoid common things to drop when sailing and listing!

To be continued...

May 27, 2004
Hunter 30_74-83 Ponce Inlet FL
Hi Fuligule,
I'm at your stage two and I have two questions.
It appears that you have refinished the teak veneer plywood panels in the main salon.
What did you use to clean the surface of these panels before refinishing?
Did you use sandpaper (papier du emery)?

I love your workmanship.

Merci,
G.