Morgan OutIsland 41 416 1983

Oct 17, 2017
Morgan 41' OutIsland Summerland Key
The teak walls of our sailboat are streaked in some areas, it's is if the stain was stripped in those places. Does anyone know what stain was used to get the dark teak stain color, or what stain can be substituted? Thanks

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Not likely the stain was “stripped”. You probably have a water leak. Check for damage to the wood and fix the leak.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
A leak is a possibility. Or someone may have tried to clean Sydney a countertop and some of the cleaning solution spilled down the face of the wood surface below. Some cleaning agents are harsh and when spilled on wood they bleach the wood stain leaving streaks. I know because the worker who was tasked to clean my boat before it went up for sail left streaks of bleached wood. This will take a series of steps to clean then restrain and then cover the wood with a varnish to protect it. At tleast that is one course of action. There are others. Depending on how you want to treat the wood.

Oct 17, 2017
Thanks for your replay. The wood was just cleaned which caused the streaking. I’m looking for the stain name of the original stain used or a substitute someone has found that works, since this is a 1983 sailboat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Our dark teak can be treated with min-wax mahogany color. I use a Q-tip with very light application of both amount of min-wax as well as pressure.

Oct 17, 2017
You said both amount of min-wax, you mention only Mahogany. Was there another color of min-wax you used. The streaking is in too many places. I want or need to do stain all the walls again to get a uniform color.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Michael. This sounds like a furniture panel staining. It is a wood working job and the fact that it is on your boat is not material. Are you trying to make it a "perfect" match to the other wood in your boat? We both know perfect is not going to happen. You are going to have to try "best match" and perhaps blending. Think a ring stain on your dining room table.
If this is a new idea, consult a local wood refinishing shop. Try to bring a sample of good wood to them. They may be able to help you blend a stain that will nearly match. Remember your good areas are a mixture of original stain, cover coat (e.g. varnish), what ever cleaners or waxes you added, UV and air oxidation. To match you will be trying to mimic this stew of chemicals that are adhered to your wood. It is as much trial and error as it is getting the "Same" stain as was originally used. Just your luck you'll get the same name of stain and for what ever reason the manufacturer will have changed the formula to meet an EPA requirement and when you apply it, "You Can't Get No... Satisfaction".
Good luck and let the artist in you find a mix that will make your eyes smile.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
We both know perfect is not going to happen.
:thumbup:

20171018_075334.jpg

3 different stains; a hint of ebony, fruitwood and a touch of golden oak. I'll likely be the only one to notice...

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Many boats of that era only had tung oil. The teak will naturally darken with age. Abrasion (scrubbing pads) can remove this darkened wood leaving fresh light colored wood. If this is the case applying a stain over all the panel will not remove the streaks. You would need to selectively stain as Stu was recommending. Other alternatives include lightly sanding the whole panel (0000 steel wool and soaked in teak oil)