Midship cleat on toe rail?

Jul 28, 2021
Hunter 28 Shilshole
I just purchased a 1991 Hunter 28. For some reason cleats weren’t mounted midship - which makes single handed docking a challenge.

There is a sturdy perforated toe rail. How do other owners cope without a mid cleat and/or any suggestions to add something to the toe rail to act as a cleat?

Jul 28, 2021
Hunter 28 Shilshole
Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
One drawback of adding a cleat to the deck or rail, is it's going to tend to catch the lazy sheet and mess up tacks at the worst time. If you add a cleat, I'd make it a folding or popup cleat. I wonder what the drawback is to simply insert one end of the dockline as a loop through an opening and over the rail, then run the other end through the loop so the dockline is secured to the rail? While the rail-attached end may be subject to a fraying risk, this line doesn't need to be part of the long term tie-up, but just to complete the docking maneuver.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
Garhauer track cleat that goes on the jib track. Really reasonable price, amazing quality and does what you need and can be moved at the start of your sail easily to accomodate jib car movement.

Aug 12, 2018
Hunter 26 Carter Lake, Colorado
IDK but some of these ideas seem OK for use during temporary docking maneuvers, but maybe not for long term docking. I’m just not sure toe rails and genoa tracks are necessarily intended for full time docking loads.

Artey1

Jul 18, 2019
Hunter 34 Oklahoma
I’m just not sure toe rails and genoa tracks are necessarily intended for full time docking loads.
The original post wasn't asking for permanent docking midship cleats. Their purpose is to aid in docking, before you setup your permanent mooring lines. However I will say I motor against mine during docking solo with my 12,000-13,000 lbs H34 and have yet to have a problem or concern doing it. Your mileage may vary.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I like midship cleats. Allows me to single hand my docking without any one needing to "Jump" to the dock.

I chose to install a foldable cleat. Uses 1/2" dock line.
1629496869114.png 1629496807221.png

ACCON
Thru-Bolt SS Spring-Up Folding Cleat 4-1/2"
Thru-Bolt Folding Cleat - 4-1/2" (1/2" Max Line)

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I have the garhauer track cleat. NEVER had a problem with hanging up lazy sheet. But if it did, it's very simple to un hang it... The cleat sits on the toe rail, directly beneath the life line.... and if you have genoa sheets running outside the life lines it is almost physically impossible.... But wait.... let's say there is an occasion where hanging up may happen. The simply lift the knob and slide the cleat to a less vulnerable position. You can slide the thing to any place along the track you want. How can you go wrong with that, plus the price is right.

That said... I am more apt to use the track mounted cleat for spring lines where the load is fore and aft... rather than a breast line or any other type of connection where the load would be side to side. Just my guess, I have no actual documented evidence to verify my though, I'm just visualizing the leverage over a narrow 1-1.25" base in side to side use, opposed to the 4 or 5 inch base in fore and aft.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
I have not used one of these but have read good reviews. Should be perfect for single handed docking and they can be folded out of the way.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Why not just add mid-ship cleats?

A previous owner of my O’Day 322 added them.

I use a cabin-top winch and permanently mounted dock line with a loop to motor against to hold me tight against my finger pier. Once I an stable and holding in place, I can jump off the boat and throw on the stern, bow and spring lines (also permanently on the dock).

Greg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I added these mid ship cleats for 1" track to my boat a few years ago. $52 per at garhauer marine.
Money well spent.

msc-1.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
except when I forget to fold one down and stub my toe anyway!
There are some things that can not be fixed.

My chainplates are near the hull edge. So are the mid cleats. Keeps them out of the walk space. Pushing the cleat down is just a part of removing the line.

Oct 19, 2006
Hunter 27-3 Brownsville, VT/Mystic, CT
Truth be told, John, it's normally the Admiral who forgets, and I don't want to be sent to the brig for insubordination, so I take the blame!

But let's just keep that info between us... ;)

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
I have not used one of these but have read good reviews. Should be perfect for single handed docking and they can be folded out of the way.

i added these on my H31 a few years back and they have worked great as my mid shop cleats. Attached to toe rail.