Mid LiFePO4 Cruisers?

Nov 21, 2007
Beneteau Oceanis 34 Kingston, WA
Be certain to measure the battery space to ensure you have enough room for everything. What will you use for shore power charging?
Space is one of my major restrictions. All of my options will fit in the space that I have available, if it wouldn't fit into my existing space, I never considered it.

Shore power charging is with a Sterling PCU 1230.

Nov 21, 2012
Yamaha 33 Port Ludlow, WA
My only recommendation would be against the Orion 12-12/30 in favor of the Orion XS 50A. I have two of the Orion 30A you will find the following shortcomings.
1. Heat. The units will get upward of 165°F even in a roomy and well ventilated area (Which we have).
2. Derate. When hot, my units would only produce 22A. I did add three 40mm fans above the heat sink and this brought the output back to 30A, so there is a workaround here.
3. Efficiency. At 30A out, the input required is just under 40A. I calculated 81% efficiency.
4. Voltage sensing. Although “Smart”, these units do not participate in the ve.smart network, so they cannot use the voltage from the SmartShunt or BMV712. This means they will not correct for voltage drop like the MPPTs.

The Orion XS corrects all these issues. It is 98% efficient, doesn’t produce much heat and doesn’t derate as rapidly. It can also join Bluetooth ve.smart or connect via ve.direct.
Great info. The Orion XS isn't out yet though. Is the efficiency rating a published number? As an aside, I have 2 Kilovault 200AH batteries and have started the diesel quite easily from the house bank on several occasions.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
If it helps, the current batteries should dictate what gets replaced when. If the current batteries have a year or more life left in them, then changing the system parts that are agnostic to battery chemistry might be the first to replace, specifically, the shore power charger, the DC-DC charger, and add the serpentine belts for the alternator and a monitoring system. This will set you back somewhere between $1K to 1.5K.
I agree with this. If you still have time left in your current batteries, then upgrading the deficient parts of the system first makes a lot of sense. It is nice to have the backbone set up before adding in the batteries.

Those are all great features, however they introduce a whole new level of complexity to a system of which many have only a rudimentary grasp and for the vast majority of us who are weekend sailors with occasional short cruises, they may be overkill. For those who measure their cruising time in weeks and not years how much benefit, i.e., how much money do we save by having the more complex system? I haven't seen any numbers that would convince me to upgrade to a Zeus.
@Johann beat me to the issues about the major advantages of the Zeus or WS500. The only thing that I would add is that they both allow you to install a much higher output alternator than you could with a less sophisticated regulator. Because you have full control over the output, you can make up different scenarios where you can make a heap of power when you do not need to push the boat. You can make a lot of power when you are not in a hurry while moving your boat. But..., if you really need to move, it will make just a normal amount of power and leave plenty to spin the prop.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
Great info. The Orion XS isn't out yet though. Is the efficiency rating a published number? As an aside, I have 2 Kilovault 200AH batteries and have started the diesel quite easily from the house bank on several occasions.
That is the published efficiency. Actually they claim 98.5%. The claimed max efficiency of the 12-12/30 is 87%, but at 155°F I calculated 81%. I believe efficiency decreases with temperature, so if the new XS runs cooler maybe the efficiency will be closer to claimed. I thought they would be shipping in December but apparently they won’t be out til Apri.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
That is the published efficiency. Actually they claim 98.5%. The claimed max efficiency of the 12-12/30 is 87%, but at 155°F I calculated 81%. I believe efficiency decreases with temperature, so if the new XS runs cooler maybe the efficiency will be closer to claimed. I thought they would be shipping in December but apparently they won’t be out til Apri.
It will be interesting to see how close they are to that number. My experience with Victron is with my two IP22 chargers. They claim 94% efficiency and while I have never checked it, those things run very cool. I can fell a little bit of heat off the top but I can hold my hand in the stream, and I never hear the fan come on. That is after several hours running flat out at 30A charge into my LFP batteries.

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
The owners manual actually shows the house battery in the aft berth, but I don't think there is enough space below the top of the compartment to fit FLA batteries with their boxes and tops. If there is enough space available, I'd like to swap the two banks and put the start battery in the engine compartment and the new house batteries near the battery chargers, controllers, and switches in the aft compartment.
If it is of any help and using ABYC E-10 as a guideline, a top on the box is unnecessary. The conducting terminal(s) must be covered with a non-conductive shield which as a rubber boot. And of course regardless of a top or not the box must be secured down to eliminate move again as stipulated by the ABYC standard. Maybe worth the effort to investigate sub-para 10.7.7.