Merit 22 owners

emh56

Jul 13, 2022
Merit 22 Kingston
Got the mast up on the Merit 22 this weekend for the first time! We also built an a-frame ginpole system and used the main sheet blocks and forestay. It was much easier than we expected.

We also got the pop top up. I had wondered why there were two table legs - we discovered that they are also pop top supports. With them in place the pop top was very stable.

Attachments

Centex

Jun 6, 2023
Merit 22 Georgetown TX
Just picked up a Merit 22 this last weekend. Boat has been sitting for a while unused but was in pretty good condition. We've been going through it looking at all the parts to see where things hook up specifically to the model... everyone's pictures are a great help. Have to get the title papers and all settled then hopefully on the water pretty quick.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @Centex to the SBO Forum. Best of luck with your new boat.

What motivated you to buy the Merit 22?

Centex

Jun 6, 2023
Merit 22 Georgetown TX
I had been looking around online for a better trailer for the boat I had (S2 7.0). Thinking maybe I could get a trailer either alone or maybe a derelict boat with a good trailer. Came across the Merit 22 that was in pretty good condition with a road worthy trailer at a decent price. The S2 is a good boat but she is going to need paint, trailer fix and old boat tlc. The Merit has all the features we were looking for in a sailboat plus it's more sail ready.

Centex

Jun 6, 2023
Merit 22 Georgetown TX
So cleaning out the boat this last weekend from the previous owners (always an interesting treasure hunt) and getting a feel for where things are located or supposed to be. No battery came with the boat only some very small battery terminals floating loose on what looks like a converted extension cord. Questions.... where do you keep your battery on the boat? , what size battery do you run? From what I've seen so far there is only one cabin light, AM/FM radio and of course the running lights for the boat to power. From the size of the terminals I've found looks like previous owner was running a very small battery.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
So cleaning out the boat this last weekend from the previous owners (always an interesting treasure hunt) and getting a feel for where things are located or supposed to be. No battery came with the boat only some very small battery terminals floating loose on what looks like a converted extension cord. Questions.... where do you keep your battery on the boat? , what size battery do you run? From what I've seen so far there is only one cabin light, AM/FM radio and of course the running lights for the boat to power. From the size of the terminals I've found looks like previous owner was running a very small battery.
Under the seating area next to the keel.

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
Got the mast up on the Merit 22 this weekend for the first time! We also built an a-frame ginpole system and used the main sheet blocks and forestay. It was much easier than we expected.

We also got the pop top up. I had wondered why there were two table legs - we discovered that they are also pop top supports. With them in place the pop top was very stable.

Attachments

Centex

Jun 6, 2023
Merit 22 Georgetown TX
Here is my A-Frame set-up for stepping the mast. I also use the main sheets vs a winch.
The set-up looks pretty handy. Question.... once you get the mast up into full upright position, how do you disengage the line from around the main mast?

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
I just make a large loop under the lower shrouds. As soon as the mast is up and forestay connected the loop falls down when you loosen the main halyard.

Jul 5, 2023
Merit 22 Annapolis
Hey all,
Just bought a Merit 22 last month. It’s been sitting in the slip at my community pier for 1.5 years. I’ve been slowly going through things and trying to figure stuff out. So many questions!

1) Best means for attaching the boom to the mast.
2) Are people using pendants or topping lifts?
3) Where is my bilge?
4) Am I missing the anchor locker, or does it not have one?

I’m sure I’ll be posting more questions as I continue to go through the boat.

I took it out under power yesterday for the first time. I can’t wait to get the sails up.

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
1. Mine has small swivel attached to the mast.
2. I use a topping lift for raising the boom and spinnaker pole.
3. No bilge I'm aware of, but access port forward of the keel.
4. No anchor locker, store in the lazzerette.

Jul 5, 2023
Merit 22 Annapolis
Thanks for the info!
I have that same small swivel on the mast and a corresponding piece on the boom. Do you just use a shackle or pin to secure the connection?

Jul 5, 2023
Merit 22 Annapolis
Another question…
Is there a trick to getting the pop-top up? Seems like it should be pretty straightforward, but I can’t seem to get it.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
It's heavy!!!!
I've installed struts on a couple of my boats over the years and find them a very worthwhile addition. the Merit was a bit more challenging installation as it's not really practical to place them under the cover but by mounting them alongside they work great also. As you can see I also fabricated and replaced the crappy plastic slide rails with wood, but that should probably be done even if you'r not doing struts anyway. I used 60 lb struts 18.5" extended and 11.25 compressed. purchased on Amazon.
IMG_0216.JPG

IMG_0220.JPG

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
I've installed struts on a couple of my boats over the years and find them a very worthwhile addition. the Merit was a bit more challenging installation as it's not really practical to place them under the cover but by mounting them alongside they work great also. As you can see I also fabricated and replaced the crappy plastic slide rails with wood, but that should probably be done even if you'r not doing struts anyway. I used 60 lb struts 18.5" extended and 11.25 compressed. purchased on Amazon.
View attachment 217639

View attachment 217640
Russ,
Did you ever save the plans for your sliders? I've copied all your pictures and envision
making a set, but every time I get into woodworking it calls for a lot of molding!!!. Looks like yours are two piece, to start, then pinned and doweled...nice work.

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
I have to drop the mast on my Merit 22 by myself. Other times I had friends helping and a place to hang a block up high. But not this time.

I have several options for making a gin pole, a 10 foot length of 2inch steel tube or a fir 2x4. But I don't know how to fasten it to the mast. How do you guys do it?