Merit 22 owners

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
The only Merit 22 group I know of is located on Yahoo groups, which has announced it will be basicly fading into the sunset at the end of the year. the loss of Yahoo groups itself is no big loss, as far as I'm concerned, but the loss of the Merit content is sad. the owner of the Merit site has delt with the typical online abuse for so many years that he doesn't have the energy left to start up a new site somewhere else. he's anxious and willing to transfer the content to someone else, should they step forward, however.
I've not seen another Merit 22 owner besides me on this SBO site, but surely some do exist?.... anyone?? ...hello,.. hello :laugh:

P1010001 (1).jpg

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2022
Merit 22 Birch Bay
Just registered on the forum today because I saw your post. I have a Merit 22 that I bought on craigslist about a year ago. I'm still doing some repairs and haven't had it out in the water yet.

Aug 10, 2020
Catalina C25 3559 Rocky Mount
I've been leaving notes on one for years that sits unloved 2 coves down. Very cool boats

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I actually sold mine last year. a guy forced me to sell it to him (gave me money I couldn't refuse) and I've regretted selling it ever since. fast, fun, comfortable, and sexy as hell.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
The only Merit 22 group I know of is located on Yahoo groups, which has announced it will be basicly fading into the sunset at the end of the year. the loss of Yahoo groups itself is no big loss, as far as I'm concerned, but the loss of the Merit content is sad. the owner of the Merit site has delt with the typical online abuse for so many years that he doesn't have the energy left to start up a new site somewhere else. he's anxious and willing to transfer the content to someone else, should they step forward, however.
I've not seen another Merit 22 owner besides me on this SBO site, but surely some do exist?.... anyone?? ...hello,.. hello :laugh:
Sounds like you should take up the challenge to start a new group - I'm sure you could find a home here under the section for specific boats. Get all the info from the guy running to about to become dead Yahoo group and upload it here and start a new group here. Get the mailing list from the Yahoo group and point them all here... Just a thought...

dj

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
10 days ago I purchased a Merit 22, on a trailer, here in Colorado. Has a good compliment of sails and rigging, but needed a good cleaning. After a week of intense interior scrubbing, it's to a point of launch. I'll be relegated to trailer sailing with four good size lakes within an hour and a half of home. Will be interested to see how it sails vs. a few Capris somewhat locally.
I have yearly storage at a small rez in town, where I can evening sail, and leave the mast stepped. I researched a number of different mast stepping options and opted for an A-Frame setup using chain link fence top rails. Good old monkey fist over the spreaders and I've got it down to about half an hour, up or down!
Always open to tips and tech!!!
Merit 22.jpg

Jul 6, 2022
Merit 22 Birch Bay
Looks like it is in good shape. Is that a portlight installed at the rear of the v-berth?

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
Yes it is! I didn't know they all didn't come that way!
Funny, I was looking hard at Catalina 22's, when on a whim, I took a look at the Merit.
It was on consignment with a run-a-bout and RV dealer, who didn't have the foggiest what they
had in a sailboat. We argued back and forth about the "merits" of production run of 600 vs. 16,000
and parts availability, etc., etc. After researching the Merit a bit more I thought I'd buck the crowd
and go what could and should be a better sailer.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter on ours, but any info you have would be appreciated.
Added a couple of shots with the mast and boom in place and my a-frame setup
20220721_122024.jpg
20220721_122041.jpg

Oct 15, 2022
merit 22 merit 22 allatoona
I finally found you guys. Got mine last summer, thought I had the only one in existence!

Aug 30, 2021
Hunter 22 Chickamauga Lake
Even if not specific to the Merit 22 -- a general Merit group would be nice. I just bought a Merit 25. It's hard to find anyone active. There are tons of groups on Facebook for Hunters and Catalinas and J24's. But not for the Merit that I can find. Would love to connect with you guys.

Steve

Oct 15, 2022
merit 22 merit 22 allatoona
I know ! I got my merit 22 last summer. First thing I had to do was fix the keel lifting wench. Couldn’t find anything online about it. Pretty much had to wing it.

Aug 30, 2021
Hunter 22 Chickamauga Lake
I looked at several Merit's before pulling the trigger. There seems to be way more support for the J24 and two of my friends have them but I wanted something different. This seemed like a simliar boat and competitive with the J24. I found this one that someone was preparing to sail. His wife passed and he just decided to get out of sailing altogether. Sad situation but I feel like I got a really good boat. Just have to learn to put it back together and sail it !

Steve

Attachments

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
Hey! They do exist....Merit 22 Owners!!!
I'm in the process of bedding the boat down for the winter here in Colorado, but I'd love to share any ideas
and information on the 22's.
As for the keel winch, mine has a 12v Harbor Freight Badlands winch which makes thing very easy.
Drp Keel.jpg
What I would like to find is a good design, or idea, for a companionway ladder. I've made a two step one from an old piece of furniture I took apart, but finding a good hinging idea is the struggle.
Always open to sharing ideas, stories, or suggestions.
Digger (BTW my avatar picture is 45 years old!!!)

emh56

Jul 13, 2022
Merit 22 Kingston
There must have been a ton of Merit 22s for sale last year as my husband and I purchased one at the end of the 2022 season too!. It hadn't been sailed in awhile (since 2008) and we first needed to evict the wasps from the mast and spend alot of time cleaning, but the sails are new and the boat seems to basically be in good shape. We are hoping to get it in the water this spring. We are adding an electric motor as the old motor was shot, so that has been a bit of an adventure too. We still have the lovely brown plaid cushions. I'll post some pictures soon.

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
I had a 3 HP Minn Kota motor (for sale) on mine, but a good wind on a small reservoir overpowered it rather easily.
I opted for a 4 HP Mariner with an intregral gas tank to keep fumes out of the boat. Temporarily, I had run heavy duty jumper cables from the motor under the cockpit sole to the battery under the forward dinette seat, which worked pretty well. Hope to see your project!!!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Hello @emh56. Congrats on finding your boat. The Merit 22 is a fine boat. Designed by Paul Yates. Built in the 80' s
A nice tribute was created here about Merit boat owners. Paul Yates RIP

Keep the forum informed on your motor project.

emh56

Jul 13, 2022
Merit 22 Kingston
This is the boat when we bought it last summer. We have done alot of interior cleaning and we are replacing the plexiglass windows (one was cracked and leaking.

One issue we are having is that the boat was missing the masthead (2nd picture). We have fitted a temporary wooden cap, but I would love to see what the original looked like. The boat needs to be rewired. But that will be next seasons project. We purchased an Elco 6 hp electric motor and the lithium battery will go in the lazarette.

We had to replace the traveler car (we still have the style with the traveler on the back rail). If anyone ever needs to replace that, Rig Rite carries one that works perfectly. I know that a lot of folks move the traveler to the interior, but I think we will first try a double ended mainsheet Upgrade Your Main Sheet to Double Ends – The $tingy Sailor (stingysailor.com). It is the less expensive solution and should solve the issue of having to reach behind the tiller to adjust the mainsheet. It seems to be a standard modification for Catalina 22s that have the same rear traveler.

It is really helpful to see other people's boats.

Attachments

emh56

Jul 13, 2022
Merit 22 Kingston
You can find mast heads that will fit your mast extrusion at Dwyer Aluminum Mast Company.

Just match your mast to the samples shown and you can see the mast heads by clicking the mast shape.
It turns out that the mast on the Merit 22 (at least my Merit 22) is not a Dwyer mast. The very helpful folks at Dywer pointed me to the correct mast - it is a Kenyon Spars 3350 MORC and Rig Rite has them and the missing masthead. I figured I would share this info with anyone else missing components on their mast.