Merit 22 owners

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
I have to drop the mast on my Merit 22 by myself. Other times I had friends helping and a place to hang a block up high. But not this time.

I have several options for making a gin pole, a 10 foot length of 2inch steel tube or a fir 2x4. But I don't know how to fasten it to the mast. How do you guys do it?
Kind of why I went with the A-Frame setup; I do it alone. Like a one-armed paperhanger with the crabs!! Pole wouldn't have to be 10 foot either; 2x4 might be a stretch!!! Thought about rigging a gin pole to the eye in the tabernacle bolt, much like a spinnaker pole, but the A-frame setup was cheap ($30), efficient and laterally stable. I copied this setup exactly https://buckeyelakeyc.com/library/2022_files/Sailing/Capri 22 A-Frame Mast Raising System.pdf

Sep 8, 2020
Merit 22 Honker Bay
Thanks a lot, Digger. It looks like this will solve my problem.
Did you find that the stock mast crutch is high enough?

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
Thanks a lot, Digger. It looks like this will solve my problem.
Did you find that the stock mast crutch is high enough?
I have a homemade mast crutch that came with the boat. It stands about four feet above the rear gunnel. It's an adequate height to start.

Centex

Jun 6, 2023
Merit 22 Georgetown TX
Was trying to do a dry run to step the mast, make sure all the parts were there as when I bought my boat it was trailered (and stored for a while). Noticed there wasn't a forestay, which kinda made things fun trying to step the mast. However.... boat came with a furling jib as well as a regular jib. Never been on a boat with one or had a boat with one. Does a furling jib take the place of a forestay? Thinking maybe the previous owner took it off or threw it away if that's the case. Haven't found a stay laying around in the lazarettes.

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
You need a forestay. Furler extrusion (plastic one piece or aluminum foils) is reinforced with the forestay thru the center. Forestay length is 29.19' MERIT 22 - sailboatdata There are some furlers that "spin" the forestay.

Centex

Jun 6, 2023
Merit 22 Georgetown TX
Thanks for the info on that, the furled jib came packed in a large pvc style tube that was stored next to the mast on the trailer. I slid it out only as far as to see what was inside the tube. Need to look at it fully out of the tube perhaps the previous owner wrapped with the forestay and stored it. If that's the case maybe be good to get a spare Forestay to run a regular jib. Have you stepped a mast with a furling jib assembly in place? At least according to the Merit 22 manual they were showing to attach a line to the forestay to pull the mast (and I guess the same for lowering) to the upright position. Would the weight/stress on the bottom fitting hurt the furler in stepping it?

Jul 15, 2022
Merit 22 Carter Lake
I would bet the forestay is in there. I've stepped and un-stepped my mast with my furler in place. Mine is an Alado Furler with interlocking 5' aluminum "foils" with forestay running thru the middle. I'm very careful to keep the furling assembly from bending or it will be toast!!! Once the mast is down you lash the furler assembly to it. If yours is one piece pvc, it's probably a CDI and they are much more forgiving; almost designed to bend. Flexible Furlers — Cruising Design International
If you're going to run roller furling you don't need another forestay. I'd bet that sail was just left over from when it was hanked on the forestay. Depending on the size of the furling jib, you can make it any size you want, dependent on the wind. Mine is 135%, which gives me any size I need.
Pulling on the forestay will work, but the mast resting on a fabricated (wood, aluminum, or steel) crutch attached to the rudder gruneons on the transom make things very easy with the A-Frame. Think about how unstable the mast would be without side guides to keep it centered when raising, just pulling on the forestay!
BTW, I'd love to have a copy of that Merit manual if possible. Hard copy, .pdf file, however!!!!
I'm John, at (303) 931-3866 if questions arise. I'll be camping, probably without service, til Thursday PM, however.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
gin pole clamp.jpg

I have several gin poles . The top photo is my preferred version . It softly but firmly clamps the entire circumferance of the mast and wont slip off .It cost me all of $8.00 I think . I'm able to step the mast even if the boat is on the water ,safely and by myself

Attachments

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I think almost everyone here would kill to have a copy of the manual.
The manual is very generic so you might find the prison time wasn't worth it ;) but I have it in PDF format somewhere if you can explain to me how to send it. I don't think I've ever sent a pdf document before.

Sep 27, 2023
Cape Cod Shipbuilding Bullseye Morro Bay California
Hey all, just found you all. Considering buying a Merit 22 in Southern California. Not much experience with them except through my dock neighbor in Marina Del Rey. His was a 25. Any specific things I should ask about or consider such a problem areas or needed refurbishing (swing keel pin or keel wire or rope) since it’s balsa cored deck, soft spots etc? Any help would be appreciated.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Hey all, just found you all. Considering buying a Merit 22 in Southern California. Not much experience with them except through my dock neighbor in Marina Del Rey. His was a 25. Any specific things I should ask about or consider such a problem areas or needed refurbishing (swing keel pin or keel wire or rope) since it’s balsa cored deck, soft spots etc? Any help would be appreciated.
The 22 is a vertical lifted keel so no keel pivot or cable to be concerned with but if these are grounded hard they can crack the fiberglass hull around the keel trunk area. nothing special about the deck that's specific to this boat. just do a slow walk around on the deck etc. I saw that boat listed also but it's just too far away for me. price is up there but it does sound well equipped and likely worth it. also was one north of Portland Oregon for 1K with trailer but when I started quizzing him about it he says he's decided to part it out :facepalm:.

Sep 27, 2023
Cape Cod Shipbuilding Bullseye Morro Bay California
The 22 is a vertical lifted keel so no keel pivot or cable to be concerned with but if these are grounded hard they can crack the fiberglass hull around the keel trunk area. nothing special about the deck that's specific to this boat. just do a slow walk around on the deck etc. I saw that boat listed also but it's just too far away for me. price is up there but it does sound well equipped and likely worth it. also was one north of Portland Oregon for 1K with trailer but when I started quizzing him about it he says he's decided to part it out :facepalm:.
Thanks RussC. I’m curious about your comment on the price. Is his asking price high in your experience?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Thanks RussC. I’m curious about your comment on the price. Is his asking price high in your experience?
not necessarily.. have to see it in person to know that. I paid $600 for mine but it needed everything, including a new trailer. but after I rebuilt everything, put a new main sail on it, a used outboard, reupholster cushions, sand and paint below water line, rebuilt another trailer for it etc etc. I sailed it for a year and a half and sold it for 5K. regretted selling and would pay that to buy it back again.

Feb 24, 2024
Merit M22 Tacoma
Yes it is! I didn't know they all didn't come that way!
Funny, I was looking hard at Catalina 22's, when on a whim, I took a look at the Merit.
It was on consignment with a run-a-bout and RV dealer, who didn't have the foggiest what they
had in a sailboat. We argued back and forth about the "merits" of production run of 600 vs. 16,000
and parts availability, etc., etc. After researching the Merit a bit more I thought I'd buck the crowd
and go what could and should be a better sailer.
There doesn't seem to be a lot of chatter on ours, but any info you have would be appreciated.
Added a couple of shots with the mast and boom in place and my a-frame setupView attachment 207659View attachment 207660
how much headroom is there when the top is popped up?