Merc / Yamaha / Evinrude

Sumner

Jan 31, 2009
Macgregor & Endeavour 26S and 37 Utah's Canyon Country
+1 to Brian's theory, which is mine. If you run the carb dry, there is some residual on the carb wall, where it dry out. Kind of like buttermilk coating a glass though you drank all the milk. YMMV.
+2 .... Most carbs have a drain screw. When I'm done sailing I use that to get all the gas out.

Sumner

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Buttermilk? Drop the bowl and feel the residue in the bowl. It is barely discernable if at all! Do what Sumner says and then tap the bowl with the screwdriver handle to assure gas drops out of jets and tighten the screw! Chief

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
I have not had experience with residue causing problems other than clogged jets. I have run for many seasons with no carb sevice. The bigger the motor, the less sensitive it will be to the issue. However, I would always prefer non-ethanol gas. My motors run fine with ethanol fuel til I leave them for more than a week. Then they will start on 3/4 throttle but die. That is because the idle jet is cloggled. If I run the motor dry of fuel, I can give it a little shot of starter spray, and it will start and idle. With non-ethanol gas, I can leave it for weeks, and it will still start.

As far as which motor I would choose for the original poster. I would choose the yamaha. And I would take into account the currents, winds, and distance traveled on my motor to determine the horsepower needed. 6 HP is a good start. 4 hp may be doable if the situation is right. 9.9 may be right when extra horsepower is needed. On Seneca Lake, the requirements are mild where I am docked. On Cayuga, the situation is a B$&CH... 1/3 mile canal into the wind, current, and debris... my Mariner would barely push my C22 sometimes.