Merc / Yamaha / Evinrude

Feb 24, 2014
Hunter 376 Havre de Grace
the Tohatsu 3.5 and Mercury 3.5 are identical except for the badge decals. I've owned Yamaha O/B motors of various sizes over the years. They are my first choice. This said, I bought a Tohatsu 3.5 for my inflatable dink because of the light weight to HP ratio and low price. It works, but there are times when I'm pretty sure Tohatsu means something foul in Japanese.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Yamaha builds their own engines. In cruising the entire US gulf and east coasts, Bahama, plus some of Mexico's east coast, I saw Yamaha's 3 to one over any other brand. Additionally,, a friend has a 2.5 Merc. Hardest starting outboard I've ever seen if it runs out of fuel. Once running, decent engine, good power
Interesting, in our area Honda is most common by a large margin. Mostly 2 or 2.3 then they jump up to 9.9, 20, 40 and so on. The little engines for us mortals. Don't overlook Suzuki. My buddy loves his and it's cheaper.

Ken

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
My Yamaha 8 Hp has been running like new ever since I switched to Ethanol free gas and add Seafoam in every tank.
A few years back my outboard would always give me problems when most needed but than I took carb off and cleaned and soaked with carb cleaner and than started using Ethanol free gas and seafoam in every tank and just came back from over 3 week cruise to the Keys and my outboard ran great and for the last few years been running great.
My 8HP Yamaha is a 2002.
Nick

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Using higher octane fuel than recommended is a waste of money. Using an additive (seafoam) is a must but no need to run dry unless it will be sitting for several weeks. Tohatsu's 4 hp weighs 15 lbs (58 lbs) more than the 3.5 hp.. I have a 3.5 Tohatsu and would buy the 4. I have a 15 hp 2 stroke, electric start, 75 lbs, , 25 mph, Evenrude I use when I am in areas that require long runs such as Bodega Bay. Chief
I don't know about California but out here in the mid-west the only way to get alcohol free gas is to buy the premium grade fuel, regardless of whether the engine needs the additional octane. I haven't tried Seafoam but I doubt it will work any better than Sta-bil for alcohol related issues. After 4 seasons using regular unleaded and additives and still fighting carb issues I finally switched to Premium; straight if out on a trip and motoring a lot and with Sta-bil when storing or low use. I just put my boat in this week and used last years fuel dregs of Premium and Sta-bil and she fired up on the 2nd pull. Your mileage may vary........
Dennis

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Dennis: That's interesting about premium having no alcohol in it. You might want to double check that as that is NOT true out west! Non alcohol gas is hard to find in Calif.. Seafoam is the best. Chief

Nov 26, 2012
Dennis: According to Google, premium gas in Missouri must have alcohol added by law. I say again: your wasting your money by buying premium. Once you use octane above the motors recommendation it is of no benefit.
There are currently 262 Pure Gas stations in Missouri if you want non alcohol gas. (In Bolivar go to Broadway ave.) Chief

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Dennis: According to Google, premium gas in Missouri must have alcohol added by law. I say again: your wasting your money by buying premium. Once you use octane above the motors recommendation it is of no benefit.
There are currently 262 Pure Gas stations in Missouri if you want non alcohol gas. (In Bolivar go to Broadway ave.) Chief
In NY it is possible to buy ethanol free gas at many gas stations, but it is premium. The extra cost is worth getting ethanol free gas. Besides, how much gas can a little outboard burn in a season?

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I believe what Dennis was referring to is that if you want non-alcohol fuel, you must buy premium fuel to (not) get it. Very few gas stations have enough fuel tanks underground to supply every combination, so they only supply non-alcohol as a premium option. premium is also available with alcohol added of course.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
I have a mercury 310 rib and a 5hp 4 stroke tohatsu. I wish I had a 9.8 so we could cut our travel times.

Nov 26, 2012
Maybe in some states, but just got back from Arizona in April and regular ethanol was the same price and octane as the non alcohol was I was buying. I don't think they are selling premium non the same price as regular 10%! ($2.38 gal)
Sailm8: See if you can find a nice 2 stroke in 10 to 15 hp range and then use either one you want for the trip your making. I do this with a Tohatsu 3.5 & 15hp Evinrude. Chief

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 31 and 25 and fomerly 23.5 Stockton State Park Marina; MO
Yes we have several gas stations in the area that advertise NO ALCOHOL PREMIUM. BTW I was just at a small engine shop and saw that StarBrite has an additive that it says "helps prevent phase separation in alcohol fuels". I imagine SeaFoam is similiar. If it delays it 1 day I guess you can legally say it "helps".
Dennis

Last edited:

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
Maybe in some states, but just got back from Arizona in April and regular ethanol was the same price and octane as the non alcohol was I was buying. I don't think they are selling premium non the same price as regular 10%! ($2.38 gal)
Sailm8: See if you can find a nice 2 stroke in 10 to 15 hp range and then use either one you want for the trip your making. I do this with a Tohatsu 3.5 & 15hp Evinrude. Chief
Chief, I've been looking but people seem to be holding on to them.

Nov 26, 2012
Sailm8: I am not surprised that the 2's are getting hard to find. My 1989, 15hp Evinrude w/ electric start weighs 75lbs. Will outrun any 4 stroke its size and runs well on ethanol gas/seafoam/50 to 1 oil. By comparison; my sailboat engine is an electric start 9.9, 4 stroke Tohatsu and it is a fine motor but weighs 100 lbs! I will put my 250 Catalina in Lake Oroville this year and intend to use the Evinrude 15 because of the potential long dinghy runs involved. Chief

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Her in S Florida we have many Gas stations that sell what they call REC 90. These stations tend to be clustered near our local boat ramps. All our local fuel docks sell REC 90
REC90.jpg

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I believe what Dennis was referring to is that if you want non-alcohol fuel, you must buy premium fuel to (not) get it. Very few gas stations have enough fuel tanks underground to supply every combination, so they only supply non-alcohol as a premium option. premium is also available with alcohol added of course.
Most gas stations have 2 or 3 tanks. One for high octane and one for regular and any mid grade fuels are blended onsite by the pumps. If they sell diesel then that's in the 3rd tank.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Most gas stations have 2 or 3 tanks. One for high octane and one for regular and any mid grade fuels are blended onsite by the pumps. If they sell diesel then that's in the 3rd tank.
Correct. and if they want to sell non alcohol, they need a 4th tank which leaves them with a choice of what grade fuel they want to have as non-alcohol. I've never seen a station that had a 5th tank which would allow them to sell both regular and high test without alcohol, but maybe a few are out there.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The octane doesn't matter if there is ethanol in the fuel. The reason to run the carbs dry is to keep the ethanol from gumming up the idle jet. If you are using ethanol fuel, run the carb dry any time you will not start the engine for a week. Seafoam will definitely help keep the carb clean, so use it, but it still wont hurt to disconnect the fuel line and let the motor run dry. Once it stops, pull the choke, and start it again. Push the choke in and let the motor run til it dies.

I have a mercury 9.9 4 stroke, a yamaha 9.9 4 stroke, a suzuki 2.5 4 stroke, a johnson 70 2 stroke, and I had a Mariner 6 2 stroke. My favorite engine is the Yamaha. It just feels better engineered.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
The octane doesn't matter if there is ethanol in the fuel. The reason to run the carbs dry is to keep the ethanol from gumming up the idle jet. If you are using ethanol fuel, run the carb dry any time you will not start the engine for a week. Seafoam will definitely help keep the carb clean, so use it, but it still wont hurt to disconnect the fuel line and let the motor run dry. Once it stops, pull the choke, and start it again. Push the choke in and let the motor run til it dies.
I'm not going to disagree with AG (and not just because I covet his nicely worked O'day 272) but I am going to put forth an alternative theory to running gas out of the carb. I've heard it go both ways, and from mechanics too. One viewpoint against running the fuel out is that you can't get all of the fuel out of the carb bowl, so therefore that little bit of gas is more likely to vaporize leaving behind gum. So, that makes sense, too.

Because I can get 87 ethanol free, and because I average running the motor twice a week through the summer, the past few years I have not been running the carb dry. Have not had any problems.

But Granddad always ran the gas out of the carb on the '63 2 stroke 90 hp Johnson, and we didn't have ethanol back then. :D The only problem he had was with vapor lock, which was inconvenient running up the bay to go fishing, then not being able to start the motor to come home. That got fixed by a recall with a redesigned carb. Ah, but I see I'm spinning yarns again, so I'll stop! :D:D:D

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
+1 to Brian's theory, which is mine. If you run the carb dry, there is some residual on the carb wall, where it dry out. Kind of like buttermilk coating a glass though you drank all the milk. YMMV.