Merc / Yamaha / Evinrude

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
So I finally made the decision and purchased a Zodiac Cadet 270 and now looking for a motor to push it.
I am looking at a Yamaha 2.5 hp since we have a local dealer. My question is there much of a difference in power between the Yamaha 2.5 and the mercury 2.5. Would there also be any durability preference between these to brands. I have heard very good things about Yamaha engine. I can get the mercury 3.5 hp for the same price as the Yamaha 2.5 hp.
Does anybody have and experience with these engines ? I have heard that all of these small engines are made by the same company anyway. Can anybody speak to the truth of this ?

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Our boat that we purchased in 2002 came with a very low use two cycle Mercury 5HP. Been a good engine and have used it some over the years to push our nine foot inflatable. If at some point it needs replacing I'll probably go with a four cycle engine; a bit heavier, but quieter and more fuel efficient. The engine will plane the boat with just me in it, but not with a passenger. Really never in a hurry to get any place important, but the extra horsepower does help if I have a full boat going against the odds; wind, current, etc.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tohatsu makes many of the small outboards, including Nissan, Mercury, and Tohatsu. Not sure about the Yamaha. Compare engine specs to see how close they are. Often the difference between 2 horsepower models is the carburetor. Check the specs the weight, displacement, etc are the same just tuned to produce more power.

Aug 14, 2011
Tohatsu makes many of the small outboards, including Nissan, Mercury, and Tohatsu. Not sure about the Yamaha. Compare engine specs to see how close they are. Often the difference between 2 horsepower models is the carburetor. Check the specs the weight, displacement, etc are the same just tuned to produce more power.
Its been a difficult decision as so many negative comments on some brands but still looking for best value. Yamaha seems to have very good reviews just a little more pricey than say the same size merc

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I just went through this. I tend to do an agonizing amount of research on everything and after months of researching to get the right dinghy and outboard for our use, we purchased a Zodiac Wave Air Floor and a Tohatsu 3.5 hp. at the Defender sale.
Here's what I learned on the outboards: (for us weight and portability were priorities). Tohatsu makes the Merc and Nissan. The Tohatsu comes with a 5 year warranty, Merc 3. They weigh the same. The 2.5 and 3.5 are the same motors, but the carb is tweeked to get the extra RPM on the 3.5 engines for Merc and Tohatsu. Hopefully this helps with the Merc/Tohatsu side of the equation. Sorry I can't offer anything on the Yamaha...
Good luck!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Yamaha builds their own engines. In cruising the entire US gulf and east coasts, Bahama, plus some of Mexico's east coast, I saw Yamaha's 3 to one over any other brand. Additionally,, a friend has a 2.5 Merc. Hardest starting outboard I've ever seen if it runs out of fuel. Once running, decent engine, good power

Aug 14, 2011
I just went through this. I tend to do an agonizing amount of research on everything and after months of researching to get the right dinghy and outboard for our use, we purchased a Zodiac Wave Air Floor and a Tohatsu 3.5 hp. at the Defender sale.
Here's what I learned on the outboards: (for us weight and portability were priorities). Tohatsu makes the Merc and Nissan. The Tohatsu comes with a 5 year warranty, Merc 3. They weigh the same. The 2.5 and 3.5 are the same motors, but the carb is tweeked to get the extra RPM on the 3.5 engines for Merc and Tohatsu. Hopefully this helps with the Merc/Tohatsu side of the equation. Sorry I can't offer anything on the Yamaha...
Good luck!
Thank you and our characteristics and requirements are similar. Been reading and tracking specs for a month. Weight, power and dependability are the main concerns. My dilemma is that I can get a merc 3.5 for less than a 2.5 Yamaha. I would like the extra hp but so many negative comments on the merc and all positive on the yamahas.

Aug 14, 2011
Yamaha builds their own engines. In cruising the entire US gulf and east coasts, Bahama, plus some of Mexico's east coast, I saw Yamaha's 3 to one over any other brand. Additionally,, a friend has a 2.5 Merc. Hardest starting outboard I've ever seen if it runs out of fuel. Once running, decent engine, good power
I have heard the same comments and that's why first instinct is to go with the Yamaha. The 3.5 power would be great but at what cost, I know financially it's cheaper but on the overall what's the impact

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Look at service and parts availability. Perhaps more important for a dinghy engine is weight rather than horsepower. I have two small outboards, the 2 stroke 3.3HP 19 lbs. Mercury outperforms the 4 stroke 56lbs 5 HP Tohatsu and it is much easier to raise and lower from the mother boat. The ability to have the correct prop selection to match the boat is most important in obtaining maximum performance. Brand new small two stroke engines are no longer sold in the US but used ones can still be found. I guess it all depends on the intended use for your dinghy and how much weight you are comfortable to lug around. I repeat, do not overlook service and parts availability.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I went with the Honda 2.3 hp because it is the lightest engine that will push my 7 foot dinghy. I can lift it with one hand. Air cooled so I can start and run it while it hangs on the stern rail. I got rid of the 5hp Nissan motor because it was so heavy...

May 10, 2008
Catalina 355 Boston
I have heard the same comments and that's why first instinct is to go with the Yamaha. The 3.5 power would be great but at what cost, I know financially it's cheaper but on the overall what's the impact
If you're more comfortable with the Yamaha than the Merc, I really don't think the extra 1 hp will make much of a difference with these outboards. For example, you won't be planing with either. For me, planing was not a consideration. What's the weight difference between the two?

Aug 14, 2011
I agree on the planing. The Yamaha is 37 lbs and the Merc is 38 lbs for both models

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
You have plenty of commentary and I think it would be hard to go wrong with your choices. I have had a 2 stroke 3.5 Tohatsu for 26 years in two forms: Nissan & Mercury. The only issues were fuel until I started using Sta-Bil religiously. Simple & quiet. Worked for me.

T_Cat

Aug 8, 2014
Catalina 22 1987 New Design. 14133 "LadyHawke" Modesto CA
My experience is limited but I've owned a Yamaha T8 w/electric start and a Tohatsu 4 manual start. (Both 4cycle)
Both worked flawlessly. (Though I liked the electric start feature)

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
I would recommend buying a 4 hp so you will have F/N/R as no reverse is a pain. Realize that 1 hp is a large % hp increase in these sizes, and yes it will make a difference speed wise. Chief

Aug 14, 2011
I would recommend buying a 4 hp so you will have F/N/R as no reverse is a pain. Realize that 1 hp is a large % hp increase in these sizes, and yes it will make a difference speed wise. Chief
I would go with the 4 hp but the extra 22 lbs is the issue. I was considering the Merc 3.5 for even less money but based on comments leaning toward the Yamaha. Would love to be able to test them out first.

May 28, 2015
Catalina 385 Long Branch, NJ
We have Yamaha, a friend switched from Merck to Yamaha. Yamahas have always started easily for us. Biggest issue is gasoline ... gotta have fresh gas and always run carb dry.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tohatsu is the oldest manufacturer of outboards since OMC and Seagull are gone. Tohatsu for small engines make the Nissan and Mercury as well. Tohatsu makes the larger Nissan. Parts and owners manuals for the small engines are the same for all three.
Yamaha builds their own engines; however, Tohatsu does make many parts for all of the other brands either small or large. One main issue for small engines is the ethanol which I call corn crap ordered by the idiots in Congress does foul up the carburetor. I highly suggest for small engines is to bite the bullet and buy the more expensive ethanol free fuel or you will need to purchase the additives to combat the ethanol gas. One main suggestion is to let the fuel run out of the carb by either closing off the fuel line or disconnecting it altogether.

Aug 14, 2011
When you mention to run the engines dry with the fuel shut off are you referring to each time you use the engine or only when it will be left for a few weeks. I will always be using supreme gas and may include stabilizer also.

Would you purchase a Merc 3.5 for yourself over a Yamaha ?

Nov 26, 2012
Catalina 250 Bodega Bay CA
Using higher octane fuel than recommended is a waste of money. Using an additive (seafoam) is a must but no need to run dry unless it will be sitting for several weeks. Tohatsu's 4 hp weighs 15 lbs (58 lbs) more than the 3.5 hp.. I have a 3.5 Tohatsu and would buy the 4. I have a 15 hp 2 stroke, electric start, 75 lbs, , 25 mph, Evenrude I use when I am in areas that require long runs such as Bodega Bay. Chief