Mast step crutch.

Dec 9, 2006
Oday 22 Hickory, NC
Hi folks, I thought I posted this the other day, however I can't find it.

Looking for pictures for what I think is a mast step crutch for an Oday 22.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I f you are looking for a method to raise and lower your mast type in "o'day 22 sailboat mast step crutch" in your internet search engine and see YouTube videos, images and links to sailboatowners threads and articles below.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
Some people fabricate a mast crutch located at the mast step for when the stick is down.

My boat has a bow pulpit, but no stern pushpit. I have an X style crutch at the transom that fits into the slight sump where the cockpit drain is. It is sized to hold the mast pretty level with the mast on a support across the bow pulpit. This is fine for trailering. But when I tarp the boat for the winter, I don't think the mast is properly supported to use as a ridge pole for the tarp, when considering potential snow load. (I am also lucky in that my lifeline stanchions are removable, making the tarp go at a pretty good angle from peak to gunwale.) Anyway, I have added a second X style crutch that fits just behind the cabin, where there is a gap between cabin and seat. This 3rd support stiffens the mast to an impressive degree, so I don't worry about potential snow load. I could fab a crutch right at the mast step, but I don't really think I need it. There's never enough time in the Fall, so I haven't bothered.