Mast Crutch

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
The attached pics show my Mast Crutch, which is a big part of the Mast Raising System that I use on our 2006 Capri 22. It not only supports the Mast for trailering & storage, but also elevates the Mast to almost 45 degrees for the Mast Raising step. Note, the Mast Crutch is attached to the Rudder with SS Brackets! I've used this technique on several boats I've had with great success. The big benefit to this, is that it permits you to raise the Mast while the boat is either on its trailer or while the boat is still in the water. I'ver done both. Great when going under a bridge etc. One of my main objectives, regarding the Mast Raising System, was to keep it simple and save time/steps during the launch process. By keeping the Rudder attached to the boat and using it to support the Mast, I've save several steps and storage space. No problem when trailering!

Attachments

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
We have a similar set up on our C-22 MK-II with the Rudder-Craft kick-up rudder. It is nice not having to ever remove the rudder when trailering or launching. Your boat seems to sit a lot higher on the trailer than mine, and we both have the same keel.

Like the remote shifter and throttle. Never understood why Catalina put the engines on the starboard side on some of the Capri-18's and 22's. Sure makes it more difficult to reach the shifter.

Don

Last edited:
Apr 26, 2010
catalina 22 lake tillery NC
big papa, great to see this, I have been kicking around the idea of making a similar set up but was thinking of a one piece pipe with 3 mounts for the rudder mounts and just raise the pole to another mount to give me the height . Now it wouldn't be telescoping nor raise as high but I think it would work. What sizes are the poles that you used? Can you answer why the Porsche in your user name? Happens to be my favorite car on my second now.

Jun 4, 2010
Catalina Capri 22 Cincinnati
CaptDon, you are correct, my boat does seem to sit higher on the trailer, must be the trailer design.
Our Capri 22 is a 2006 model. Catalina did switch the motor to the Port Side, I have seen a 2012 with it located there, not sure when they made this change. I assume they did to improve the "Weight Distribution," side-to side. On our Capri the Starboard side has a 5Hp honda 60lbs, plus a one 12volt batt 45lbs, miscellaneous storge 10lbs, total 115lbs. The Port side has the 6 gal fuel tank, thats 36lbs. Obviously this condition could be improved by moving the motor to the Port side, which could result in a 72lbs on the Port side (assuming 2gals, normal) and 55lbs on the Starboard side.
My daughter gave me that nick name when I was first introduced to the Net and need a name. I was into the Porsche 911 at the time, restored 12 of them, and even imported one from Brussels Belgium, so she thought it appropriate. I made several Mast Crutches, this one was originally from a Catalina 22. I bought it used and repositioned the tabs to fit my rudder. However, the pipe is around 1 1/2 inside dia.

Last edited: