Vega27

Jun 25, 2021
albin vega albin vega 27 athens
Greetings
I recently bought an albin vega 27 from 1973 with a proctor mast
I have the same problem with corrosion in the beginning of the mast like many others
I ve read many posts about that but im still confused of how to repair it
Should i cut it or not? And if i cut it what is the best way to higher the mast(i dont want to replace my rigging) and what products should i use to prevent any corrosion in the future And how to apply
Thank you all and sorry about my bad english:)

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Looks like it’s probably caused by the aluminum being in contact with that stainless plate. I’ll defer to others on whether cutting off the oxidized section would be worthwhile, but in any case you’ll want a way to keep those two apart in the future.

Last edited:
Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
^^ And it looks like it could use a drain to the let the water out. Not sure what the possibilities are, and a common problem.

Vega27

Jun 25, 2021
albin vega albin vega 27 athens
Looks like it’s probably caused by the aluminum being in contact with that stainless plate. I’ll defer to others on whether cutting off the oxidized section would be worthwhile, but in any case you’ll want a way to keep those two apart in the future.
How to keep those apart ? Tef gel ? Epoxy primer ? Sikaflex?

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Looking at your photos, I'd be tempted to clean it thoroughly and then coat the base in gflex 655. Use it to fill in any pits or voids and it would then also work as a corrosion inhibiting coating

Just a thought

dj