Marking anchor rode

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I think it all depends on the size of your boat and water depth. I have a 22 foot boat drawing 2.6 feet and have anchored on non tidal lakes at 3 feet many times as some of the shoals are long and unchanging. I generally go with 5 or 7 to one as I learned anchoring technique in a much larger ocean going vessel and that is what we did to allow for tidal changes. On large boats with all chain rode. Paint the chain at intervals that work with your anchoring style and preference. Zip ties could be tough on the hands if not using a windlass.

Here is what I use and it works just fine. 5 years and none of the marks have moved, worn out, or loosened. I suspect my rode will rot before these vinal things go away. Picked them up on clearance for a few bucks one year because i did not have time to make my own.

View attachment 190700
Anchored for overnight stay in 3.5 feet of water on a sand shoal which stretched for 3/4 or a mile or more. Depth was constant until about 10 yards from shore. We were not closer due to bugs from the shore and we could see the bottom the whole way. Stepped off the boarding ladder into waist deep water. My marks start at 30 feet (total length) as I carry 22 feet of chain which depending on the expected weather and storms I may not count in setting the hook.
I used these on my two previous boats and they worked great. Not so much on my current boat. It has a capstan windlass and requires that the rode be rapped three times around the capstan to hold. First time I used the windlass, watched each of my carefully measured plastic strips get plucked out of the rode and carelessly tossed over the side. :banghead:
Not only did I loose my marking, I also contributed to the plastic polution problems :kick: