Marinebeam does it again

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
As expected, the marinebean housing fit PERFECTLY onto the light platform on my US-spars Z265 masthead.

IMG_0691.JPG

The 120 degree holes in the platform lined up perfectly with the three holes in the base. Only weirdness, when one of the base holes is facing perfectly forward, the adjustable base of the bulb CANNOT be made to align. One of the three screws interferes with the slot gap. So I used just two, tighten down hard.

But the fixture looks great!

IMG_0690.JPG

Jul 12, 2011
Leopard 40 Jupiter, Florida
Looking good ... May it give you many years of safe anchoring.

I'd be concerned with "... tighten down hard ..." due to the cracking of the ring I experienced. I'm adding two 48-55 mm O-Rings to my setup to allow for thermal changes between the screws and the PVC ring. I don't know if it is me, but this is one of the most challenging engineering project I've done to retrofit something that was supposed to be turnkey.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
Looking good ... May it give you many years of safe anchoring.

I'd be concerned with "... tighten down hard ..." due to the cracking of the ring I experienced. I'm adding two 48-55 mm O-Rings to my setup to allow for thermal changes between the screws and the PVC ring. I don't know if it is me, but this is one of the most challenging engineering project I've done to retrofit something that was supposed to be turnkey.
I hear you. I was gentle on the fixture. I was talking about the set screws on the bulb that control the rotating base. That is metal to metal.

Nov 8, 2010
One more follow-up. Both the Nav lights and the anchor light are madly, stupidly bright. This shot does not do it justice. It really pops.

IMG_0803.JPG

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
One more follow-up. Both the Nav lights and the anchor light are madly, stupidly bright. This shot does not do it justice. It really pops.

View attachment 136351
Nope. That's Venus. Venus is always that bright.
But seriously, @dgreen1991 has an anchor light that flashes. He says it's more eye-catching and is Coast Guard approved. The flashing helps distinguish it from stars/planets.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Yikes, that is one bright light! I hope it doesn't disturb the anchorage. There should be no problem finding your boat in a crowded anchorage after a night-time shore excursion. Maybe a dimmer should be included? Comparing the size of this light to the one I replaced, I can see that there will be a significant difference. Let's see a photo with the tri-color.
I'll post photos of mine when the mast is up, which will hopefully be next week. My daughter is coming to see us later this month and she wants to go sailing. I have to get the boat in the water so as not to disappoint.

Jul 12, 2011
Last update ... good and bad. I gave up on the white plastic fixture as the entire bottom of it shattered when I tried to replace the ring. I called Marinebeam, who were more than generous. They offered to give me a full refund, or to send a different light fixture out to use with the tri-light bulb. I really liked the bulb design, but was concerned because I was five days before launch. They not only sent me a new fixture (looks very much like an Aqua Signal 40), but sent it express mail so I could install it over the weekend. These people are great at customer service! The new fixture went on very smoothly, and is now 50+ feet over Saginaw Bay! BTW, as Jackdaw showed, the thing is bright.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I installed a red/white and a 9-LED in a couple dome lights this weekend. The red/white was a tight fit but they both work great. I need to replace my running light festoons and a few more reading and dome interior lights.
I replaced a switch on my control panel with a SPDT switch to manage my anchor and steaming light. I need to add another red LED 'on' lamp to show which light is on.

Nov 8, 2010
But seriously, @dgreen1991 has an anchor light that flashes. He says it's more eye-catching and is Coast Guard approved. The flashing helps distinguish it from stars/planets.
Anchor lights CANNOT flash. No regular navigation light can, either in the USA or internationally.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I'm a little concerned about that SOS signal. I'm hoping that it isn't easy to inadvertently switch it on. I can imagine Sue possibly hitting the switch off and on a few times. I can then imagine the Coast Guard responding to an SOS in the Barnegat Light anchorage and then the trouble will begin!

Jul 12, 2011
The timing of the SOS-mode is longer than the switching between the anchor and tri-light modes. I had the same concern, but it defaults back to anchor, and then to tri, so you have to go through three switches before you get to SOS. I had to play with it a little, delaying the switching, before I could get it into SOS-mode.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
...I replaced a switch on my control panel with a SPDT switch to manage my anchor and steaming light. I need to add another red LED 'on' lamp to show which light is on.
My B323, I placed that switch in the salon, in the ceiling panel next to the mast. I can look up through the hatch to see which light is on. Same with the deck light. I used the switches with the light in the bat handle.