Marinebeam does it again

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Like others I'm sure, I've installed Marinebeam's innovative white/red LED cabin bulbs that switch colors simply by toggling the power off/on when the light is on. Great upgrade without changing the fixture and wiring.

Well they've done it again, this time creating a masttop bulb that is either a tri-color for offshore navigation, or an anchor light. The bulb is a standard BAY15 offset pin base that just pops in. I got one and did a writeup on my blog.

http://rarerarebird.blogspot.com/2016/11/led-navanchor-replacement-bulb.html

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Great timing! I pulled the mast down this winter to make several upgrades ... including new Marinebeam lights. I wasn't aware of this feature.

May 23, 2004
I'm in the market as were . Colonial Beach
I think that it is indexed but I would have to look at it again. I wonder if it would fit in the lens too.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
I just got off a chat session at Davisnet.com and they couldn't tell me what type of bulb the Mega-Light Masthead 3310 uses, nor was that information in any .pdf "technical" manual they had. :banghead:
The chatter recommended I call the New Jersey outlet.

P.S.- Our hosts here at Sailboatowners offer a caveat for the fixture.
"Not Coast Guard Approved"
http://shop.sailboatowners.com/prod.php?1667

But I won't tell.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2010
I think that it is indexed but I would have to look at it again. I wonder if it would fit in the lens too.
For an extra 10 bucks I got the bulb with a new fixture. My lens was getting yellow, and the new one is designed for use with LED bulbs.
IMG_0780.JPG

May 23, 2004
That isn't too bad considering what it is. What a nice replacement for an anchor light. The ability to have a Tri-Color and anchor light without adding a lot of wiring is awesome. Great write- up Jackdaw!

Nov 8, 2010
That isn't too bad considering what it is. What a nice replacement for an anchor light. The ability to have a Tri-Color and anchor light without adding a lot of wiring is awesome. Great write- up Jackdaw!
Indeed. And it has extra-special appeal to two groups:

1) Offshore racers that race at night. Beyond the safety aspect of a high tri-color, the white aft light illuminates your windex, adding to your situational awareness. I see racers race at night with their anchor light on for this purpose (however wrong!)

2) Many older (or French-built) Beneteau and Jeanneau boats have only a tri-color at the masttop, and this a painless way to add an anchor light by simply replacing a bulb. (Me!)

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
Very cool Jackdaw. Thanks for sharing. I will be putting one in the next trip up the mast!

May 23, 2004
Indeed. And it has extra-special appeal to two groups:

1) Offshore racers that race at night. Beyond the safety aspect of a high tri-color, the white aft light illuminates your windex, adding to your situational awareness. I see racers race at night with their anchor light on for this purpose (however wrong!)

2) Many older (or French-built) Beneteau and Jeanneau boats have only a tri-color at the masttop, and this a painless way to add an anchor light by simply replacing a bulb. (Me!)
I would add that a lot of cruisers that just have an anchor light but sometimes sail at night or offshore would benefit from this light.

Nov 8, 2010
I would add that a lot of cruisers that just have an anchor light but sometimes sail at night or offshore would benefit from this light.
Oh for sure. That is the target market. I was just noting two groups that would have extra interest.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
LED's have changed the world! Nick Holonyak, Jr should get the Nobel Peace prize!

Sam

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
Jack I'm very pleased with your finding. You should get a Nobel Please Prize :D
I'll get the tri-color+anchor bulb. :)