Mainsheet traveler on H23.5

Aug 2, 2016
Hunter 23.5 Kaufman Texas
Has anyone installed a mainsheet traveler on their H23.5? I’m thinking about installing one as far aft on the bridge deck. What is between the bridge deck and the liner below? Crazy Dave?

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
From what Ive seen messing with the cabin lights, there is nothing in between the outer deck and the inner shell. Varying gap of about 1/4"-3/4". However, when I was drilling a hole to install a compass next to the companionway, there was some newspaper in there(?).

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Air space between. If you send me a private message with phone and location, we can set up a time to discuss how to do it

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I installed one.

Here is the link to the thread describing the process

One thing that is important and not mentioned in the thread is to cut a hole in the headliner with a small hole saw or flat headed bit before you install the backing nut on the through bolts. There is a little bit of air between. BUT! on the H26 there is also an aluminum plate in the bridge deck so I threaded it and the bolts for the traveler are threaded into the deck AND have a back nut.

I got the track on ebay used. And I have an extra piece of track I could send to you. But I'm in the middle of a move right now so it would be about a month before I could get to that.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
One other thing... If you want to get a sense of how much of a difference a traveler will make... you can fake one this way...

Traveler2 (1).JPG

My avatar picture was taken with the boom pulled over in this manner. You can see the draft where it should be.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I would not advise any traveler over the companionway as it will intrude on ingress to and from cabin. The bridge deck in front of the companionway is the only place as over the cockpit could be a knee jerker.

There is air space between the cabin ceiling and deck. You can drill through into the cabin. Then take a small small circular hole saw enough to insert a washer and lock but.
You can buy ceiling cover caps either in black, white or beige of various sizes to cover the holes in the ceiling. The key is the size of cover caps. This will be a two person job