Mainsheet adjustment when single handing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Never leave the wheel to adjust

Has anybody retrofitted their mainsheet controls so that you can make adjustments without having to leave the wheel while single-handing? I sure would be interested in your solutions. Thanks!
With my set-up I never leave the helm. To release I just snap my wrist and it is clear. When racing in higher winds (25knots +) we will tend to use the winch there, but that is what crew is for. During most of my sailing I use my cam-cleat and jam cleat combo all by myself. Biggest reason I got tired of needing to go up and push the sheet down into the jam cleat and it not holding all that well.

Jul 1, 2009
Catalina 310 Sydney-Pittwater
Re: Never leave the wheel to adjust

You may be interested what 'pushed' me towards this: After only having sailed this boat for 2 weeks and the main sheet coming loose as you described, the main furler got stuck when trying to furl in about 16 knots. The J Hook's lock nut had come loose and the hook had jammed solid in the mast cavity. After an hour going in circles (not knowing much about furling masts then - but have learnt an awful lot since, mainly thanks to Charleston's very prompt response by sending me a manual copy overnight) managed to get the sail down (would not have been necessary had I known the 'ins/outs' of the contraption then).
However, point of story is that whe I initially loosened the main sheet and outhaul slightly to release tension the main sheet left its cleat letting the boom bash about and with it the outhaul block which is close to 1/2 pd virtual solid metal. It flew around me like something posessed (won't mention anything here that is politically not correct). This is the most lethal thing I have had near me since my last car accident.

Your and Witzend's suggestion should put an end to any such future concerns. That is, after I have found out why the toilet siphons water into the boat when set on 'out' and why the anchor winch suddenly refuses to light up/work, fixing the dinghy's leaks and spending quality time cleaning up the seagulls' (who have decide they like the boat too) appreciation marks (might join the shooters' party next election).

However, still fun and beats office work.

Jul 1, 2009
Mainsheet cleat mod

On the drawing you will need a 2nd piece (1"x2.x") at the end where the Harkin (or other brand of cam cleat) goes to make the cleat even with the outlet of the jam cleat. I just used a carbon fiber cam cleat one with longer screws to hold it all together at that end and longer screws to screw it into the aluminum plate embedded in the gel coat. Total cost with the cam cleat and screws was about $20.00 as I used some scrap marine board.
Have now gotten around to copying your set-up. Had to use marine ply - hopefully strong enough.

However, hit a snag: I can't seem to shift the old screws out of the aluminium and the usual solutions of WD40 or freezing oil can't be applied due to wood core and having to apply sealant afterwards. Did you have that problem, if so, any tricks you can pass on? Otherwise, I shall have to find a couple of 'Gorillas' (who may do more harm than good).

Dec 25, 2008
catalina 310 Elk River
Re: Mainsheet cleat mod

Stainless and aluminum, add NACL and this is what you get, frozen screws. I can't for the life of me figure why the marine industry does this. The difference in cost of these embedded plates is peanuts between AL and SS. I twisted off the rear port engine mount screws after 2 months of PB blaster and then 2 hours of impact wrench, they still twisted off, will have to re-drill and tap. Impact is your only choice here, good luck!

Sep 29, 2008
Catalina 310 #185 Quantico
Hmmm

... hit a snag: I can't seem to shift the old screws out of the aluminium and the usual solutions of WD40 or freezing oil can't be applied due to wood core and having to apply sealant afterwards. Did you have that problem, if so, any tricks you can pass on? Otherwise, I shall have to find a couple of 'Gorillas' (who may do more harm than good).
I just got the biggest phillips I could find, tapped it in with a hammer, and then leaned on it with all my weight while turning it with a wrench (it has a hex section for a wrench). I am lucky as I am on the upper Potomac in fresh water and PO was in upper Chesapeake Bay which is also fairly fresh. A lot of folks swear by PB Blaster (Note I have never used it) and that would be worth a try also.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Clam cleats for mainsheet "capture" is pure nutz

Boats have been pouring out of the Catalina factories for over 25 years with clam cleats for mainsheet attachments on cabintop arrangements.

Dumbest things known to man.

We took ours off and replaced it with a sheetstopper which is open when we're sailing.

Same concept as the cam cleat idea. Better lead to the winch, too, if you have one.

Can't seem to understand why Frank and Gerry keep doing that. Must be one huge box of old gray clam cleats layin' around.

Jul 1, 2009
I just got the biggest phillips I could find, tapped it in with a hammer, and then leaned on it with all my weight while turning it with a wrench (it has a hex section for a wrench). I am lucky as I am on the upper Potomac in fresh water and PO was in upper Chesapeake Bay which is also fairly fresh. A lot of folks swear by PB Blaster (Note I have never used it) and that would be worth a try also.
This is similar to what I intended to do next – with the ‘freezing’ option. Was a bit reluctant to use the latter in this instance.

Agree with Stu’s and Witzend’s comments – boats seem to be designed to present additional challenges to just sailing. The screw locking the in mast furling line is stuck the same way, ie S/S in an AL body, preventing my replacement of the line. Shall have to try same procedure there.

Many thanks to all of you for your comments and suggestions.

Status
Not open for further replies.