mainsail shape for proper furling

bradm

Oct 7, 2021
Catalina 309 Wickford, RI
Proud new owner of hull #9 here. First boat, first post.

My mainsail doesn't furl/unfurl as easily as I'd like. Looking closely at the furled sail inside the mast, I see that the foot furls on top of itself, so that the clew ends up at the base of the furled sale. This creates a thick spot that seems to rub on the inside of the mast, which doesn't seem right.

Catalina's sail diagram states that the angle between the luff and the foot should be 85-88 degrees. Mine behaves like this angle is 90 degrees. I've seen furled sails on other's boats where the foot spirals upward like a barber pole. This is what I'd intuitively expect from a sail cut at 85-88 degrees, and would eliminate the thick spot by creating a slight taper in the lower end of the furled sail.

Do you think my sail is furling incorrectly, or am I missing something?

Thanks for any advice (and for all the excellent posts already here!)

- Brad

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on you new Catalina 309!! Looks like Wickfiled is a carming place to sail wickford rhode island - Bing images

From this link The Catalina 309: A Review | Tropical Boating the furling mainsail mast is a Selden and from your description, you are furling the mainsail in correctly. Key to furling the sail into the mast is to keep it "tight" with tension on the outhaul while pull or winching the furl-in line on a slight starboard tack with the vang and main sheet eased.

You might find this thread on a 309 with a Selden furling mainsail mast helpful: In Mast Mainsail furling | Sailboat Owners Forums.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Welcome @bradm to the SBO Forum.
It is fortunate that you found your new boat. #9. RUMOR: Boats 3-8 were a bit of a pain for the owners. Unruly.

I seem to recall there was an "Engine # 9 running down the track". But I am drifting...

Number 9. With the Catalina 309 first build in 2005, without evidence to the contrary, the age of the sail may be a factor in what you are observing. As sails age they change their shape. So one of the considerations is the sail shape may have sagged, causing what you see as an angle of 90 degrees.

To properly furl the main needs to be hoisted to the proper height. Have you tested the raising and lowering of the sail?

As @sail sfbay shares, you need to have some tension on the sail to have it properly furl and not act like a baggie set of pants.

Finally you may have a sail that needs to be recut. This will need the eye of a good sail maker. Not all sails will benefit from recutting. It is a stop gap measure at best. One needs to know that the sail cloth is still in a good condition to no tbe throwing good money after a bad sail. Better then to save up and buy new sails.

How does your new boat sail? Have you enjoyed the experience?

bradm

Oct 7, 2021
Catalina 309 Wickford, RI
Thanks all for the replies. Re-reading the suggested links, I notice a few mentions of barber-pole wrapping of the foot that I'd originally overlooked, so maybe mine is indeed furling incorrectly. My boom is also nearly horizontal. I'll have the 6 year old sail inspected.

@jssailem interesting that 3-8 were unruly. Did Catalina make any modifications to improve this? The only thing I noticed was the single (non-split) backstay anchored at the stern to port of center, which makes the rig slightly unsymmetrical, but pictures of later 309s seem to have this setup too. Can't say much yet about how mine sails, have to wait for next season. Until then, winterizing and maintenance fun.

Aug 21, 2019
Catalina 315 18 Grosse Pointe Park, MI
I have a C315 with a Seldon furling main. The 315 is very similar to the 309 in most design respects, so I think my experience is relevant. I had a time getting used to in-mast furling myself after years of a hanked on main. From your description, it does sound like you probably do need to resolve this with your sailmaker. But, just in case it is more a matter of technique I would offer these suggestions.

• The boom should be angled up ward from mast to aft
  • In significant air try furling on a close port tack. The slot is not symmetrical
  • Keep some small tension on the outhaul when furling in to get a smooth roll
  • When the sail makes a fold that gets stuck in slot, use the furling mechanism on the mast and common sense to fix it
  • Always keep your cool

With some practice and thought, main sail furling works dependably well.

• Helpful