In Mast Mainsail furling

Dec 18, 2016
Hunter 306 ft lauderdale
I have a 2004 306 with selden in mast mainsail roller furling system.
To unfurl the main i will place the mainsail outhaul line on the winch, release the boom vang, release the main sheet about 1-2 feet then pull on the for lack of a better word the outhaul line on the mast worm gear (continuous blue line) then alternate back to the main outhaul. the sail unfurls smoothly no binding etc. I was watching a video and the person unfurled the main by hand with ease.
Is this the correct process?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Ditto....Sailgunner. Be sure to be on a slight starboard tack and while winching out the outhaul maintain slight tension on the continuous "furl in" line. That ensues the sail does not fluff up in the mast and get stuck. Furl in on a starboard tack by winching in the furle in line while maintaining a slight tension on the outhaul line. so the sail furls in tight and does not fluff up in the mast.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don’t know why you would want to pull on the “worm gear” drum - just pull theouthaul and the sail unfurls. The trick is in how you furl to ensure you don’t foul the sail when stowing back into the mast

Jun 2, 2011
Hunter H33 Port Credit Harbour, ON.
The sail can be pulled out with the outhaul easily if the furling line is completely loose. If the winds are light and you want the full sail out then there is no problem. In brisker winds and pulling the sail out it is possible for the wind to grab the sail and unfurl it completely very quickly. Faster than you can catch it with the outhaul. If you want to reef it is best to keep some tension on the furling line to control the speed the sail unfurls. I always control the unfurl with the furling line. Another point about the furling control is that the furling winch line tension is what secures the sail in a furled or partially furled position. There is a free and lock position on the furling winch. If you reef it is best to have the lever in the lock position. In the lock position the sail will not unfurl farther and can be furled in without a problem. I always leave the boat with the furling winch locked so there is no possibility for the sail to come unfurled if the furling line gets loose.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
Whether unfurling a jib or main, you want to keep tension on the furling line during the process or the furling line may overwrap on the drum and you have a problem.

Whether furling a jib or main, you want to keep tension on the sheet or outhaul, respectively, during the process or the sail may not furl tightly and bunch up, and you will have a problem.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
A mistake I learned from was to loosen the leach line if you tightened it. I forgot and when the sail was rolled in the leach curled over and jammed the sail. FWIW.

Dec 23, 2013
Hunter 23.5 and 27, 2006 Redbud Marina
Hi, I own a 2006 Hunter 27 with in mast furling, always been difficult to use. Became jammed in mast and the marina actually had to cut the sail in pieces to get it out. I've done all the above procedures with some luck. Halyard tension, boom angle, slight tension when furling were never enough. I have a new sail to install now, but waiting for the pandemic to lessen.
The main thing all the sailmakers told me to do after describing my situation to them, is to check mast bend. Sure enough, my mast had much more bend than the manual suggests. We've taken the bend back to what Hunter suggests and I believe that will solve the problem. Also the old sail was14 years old and stretched and wrinkled... Will let you know when job is complete!

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Jack n eggs have mastered the situation, Boatnic i had trouble with my main until i realized that with the years she has become so baggy she always get stuck every time i try to use it. Now with a new flat main i will never have a boat without this system.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
In mast furling should have no prebend over 1%. Rake of mast is different adjusted to the right weather helm. I was asked to be involved by Z Spar when in mast furling was being designed.
I disagree over 1%.
In getting mainsail unstuck, if necessary, untune the mast til it straightens out with no prebend. Then start raising the main halyard by hand only. Then start pulling down and then pulling backwards or out many times. Worked for me as a dealer getting sail off without cutting it to shreds

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
When my beta test main got stuck the sailmaker used a pair of welder's vicegrips - they look like a hammerhead shark - they sent someone up the mast and he grabbed the stuck section and worked it out bit by bit. Didn't harm the sail.