Low Power/RPM Universal M25XP

Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
I've been trying to figure out why my motor is having a hard time recently getting up to 2000RPM when in gear. This is a new problem.
I've posted about it in several other threads and already tried some things, but I'm still looking for advice.
It will go from idle to 3000RPM in neutral. I cannot get it over 1900RPM in gear right now.
Things I've tried:
Checked shaft/prop - it's really clear. It turns by hand very easy.
Removed air filter
Changed all fuel and oil filters
Added injector cleaner
Replaced entire exhaust riser/elbow

So far, nothing has changed its behavior.
I am not a mechanic, so please be patient with me.
My thinking is to check fuel system parts next? Anybody got tips on checking the fuel pump? Should I swap the strainer filter in it? I haven't checked it yet. I just read about that it has a strainer.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
What kind of tranny is on it? If the engine does go up to speed without the tranny engaged, shaft is free, my next thought is something with the transmission.
dj

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Anybody got tips on checking the fuel pump? Should I swap the strainer filter in it? I haven't checked it yet. I just read about that it has a strainer.
Is it a cylindrical Facet fuel pump? If so, shut off your fuel supply, and simply put a wrench on the bottom of it. Be careful of fuel leak, and there's a small magnet and a screen in the bottom of the pump.
However, your fuel should go to the primary filter first, NOT the pump.
Why? Because you want filtered fuel to enter the pump, not directly from the tank.
Catalina incorrectly did this from the factory and most of us have corrected it.
Have you checked all the hose clamps on your fuel lines?

Jun 2, 2014
What kind of tranny is on it? If the engine does go up to speed without the tranny engaged, shaft is free, my next thought is something with the transmission.
dj
Hurth transmission

Jun 2, 2014
Is it a cylindrical Facet fuel pump?
Yes, I think it is one of those cylindrical ones. I’ll check when I go there later and take a photo.
What exactly would I check for the hose clamps? That they’re all still there?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Is it a cylindrical Facet fuel pump? If so, shut off your fuel supply, and simply put a wrench on the bottom of it. Be careful of fuel leak, and there's a small magnet and a screen in the bottom of the pump.
Why? Because you want filtered fuel to enter the pump, not directly from the tank.
Catalina incorrectly did this from the factory and most of us have corrected it.
Stu, this is the first I have heard of this issue. Do you have any photos or schematic drawings of the items you refer to?

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Racor says that their filters may not function as they should if you put the fuel pump ahead of their filter. According to them, this can emulsify the fuel. So there's that.

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Stu, this is the first I have heard of this issue. Do you have any photos or schematic drawings of the items you refer to?
If this is a Racor, the documentation from Racor says the order should be Tank--> Racor --> Fuel pump

Jun 2, 2014
Here’s my pump. It’s definitely hooked up: Tank>Filter>Pump>filter.

fuelpump.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Here’s my pump. It’s definitely hooked up: Tank>Filter>Pump>filter.
Yes, that's a Facet (or Facet type) pump. Look carefully at the bottom: has a hexagonal bump at the bottom with tabs that keep the bottom section onto the body. Quarter turn oughta pop it off.

Tank>Filter>Pump>engine filter

Feb 26, 2004
I've been trying to figure out why my motor is having a hard time recently getting up to 2000RPM when in gear. This is a new problem.
I've posted about it in several other threads and already tried some things, but I'm still looking for advice.
Just occurred to me, and don't know if I asked before: Have you checked if your alternator belt is properly tensioned?

Jun 2, 2014
Just occurred to me, and don't know if I asked before: Have you checked if your alternator belt is properly tensioned?
Yes to both! You did ask, and I did check it. I put a new belt on as well. It was a little bit looser than it should have been originally and now it appears properly tightened. I don't think it was slipping though. It wasn't that kind of loose.

Jun 2, 2014
Yes, that's a Facet (or Facet type) pump. Look carefully at the bottom: has a hexagonal bump at the bottom with tabs that keep the bottom section onto the body. Quarter turn oughta pop it off.
So, am I just checking the strainer on it? And cleaning it out and see what happens?

DArcy

Feb 11, 2017
Islander Freeport 36 Ottawa
Are there any other symptoms like smoke in the exhaust, overheating, clunks, rattles, shakes...?

Jun 2, 2014
Tank>Filter>Pump>engine filter
Nope... What I said... Tank>Filter>Pump>Filter>Engine
I do not have a filter on the engine. I have a second remote filter. This is how my boat came to me 5 years ago and it has ran perfect until now.
Here's an image I hope explains it.
FuelRouting.JPG

Jun 2, 2014
Are there any other symptoms like smoke in the exhaust, overheating, clunks, rattles, shakes...?
No... Just a little harder to start then normal. Last time I motored for 6 hours I was at WOT 1900RPM and no overheating or noticable smoke. I'm pretty sure I used way more gas than normal too.

Jun 2, 2014
Have you confirmed that your tach is reading correctly by comparing the reading with an inexpensive optical tach?
Not exactly, but I can say for certain that when ran up to the the stops on the throttle in neutral, the tach reads from idle to 3000RPM as I understand is it should read.
Idle is 600-800RPM (i believe), and WOT=3000RPM

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
Haven't you been working on this for a month now?
Check the $%&# fuel pump already!

FYI The thumb screw on top of your Racor fuel filter head is a primer pump.

Last edited: