Lost our Mast Hunter 260

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
First I concur with Phil as there is too much testerone here and need to focus. Why? This is a site to help fellow sailors. I see a lot of garbage coming out from D.C. anyway. Going through recovery now has made me reflect on life what is important and that is to help fellow sailors.

On front of the mast is an attachment to attach the mast raising pole to vs inserting into a hole in the mast. @rosypar1 would you please confirm this with a frontal photo of the mast where pole is attached. If that is the case then it is a Dwyer mast. Dwyer was recently sold which may or may not present some issues but not sure.

Other questions include who is the insurance carrier to see if a marine related adjuster is coming, damage to boat to include standing rigging, damage to other boats and docks, etc.

As to failure possibilities, it could be loose tune, attachment of standing rigging to chain plates, no cotter pins to insure studs do not back off, loose running rigging allowing for example boom to bang back and forth, improperly securing of jib particularly roller furling unraveling in high winds, and so on. That needs to be addressed but only if the owner can determine the failure if the adjuster cannot explain.

I have an extended hand to rosypar to help but nothing. I have nothing else to say

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
Ok...I am at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club. It happened according to the man that was on duty, between 4-5 am. We were called at 9 am by the manager. The email to advise all owners was sent after we had already been at the site, but could not access our boat because conditions were to dangerous to send out the transport. We were told that it was pretty bad for a while and that gusts of wind were up to 70 mph. I really do not know what part failed. We just purchased the boat in May and everything seemed to be good. We even went out with the sailing instructor several times so he could explain the Hunter to us and he looked at everything and everything was ok according to him and he is very experienced. The only other issue we had is that we were in a freak afternoon storm, several weeks before which ripped our main sail because we were not able to get it down in time. I want to thank you all for your help. As I said, we are new to the sailing community so if I don't sound very knowledgable is because I am not. I thank you, and my fellow sailors at the Coconut Grove Sailing Club, which helped us bring up our mast which was stuck in the water and secure it. My husband and I could not have done it without them. They all concurred that the mast was ok, but spreaders, struts, rigging all have to be replaced as well as lights, etc. Will keep you informed and sure I have many more questions. Again, thank you all

Feb 2, 2006
Hunter Legend 35 Kingston
Looking at your pictures, it appears that your mast fell over to starboard given the bend in the mast step. The same picture seems to show a frayed (unwound) wire coiled around the mast? was that part of the damage?

You might inspect all shrouds of the port side, and their associated attachment points (mast, spreader tips & chainplates), forestay as well (mast and bow plate). Which shroud/stay was not attached? Did a pin fall out or did or check if any turnbuckle had separated (become unscrewed). Doing this carefully will reveal what caused your mast to come down. A worthwhile effort to either determine what failed or what came apart. It will also tell you what other parts you will need to replace.

Chris

Last edited:

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Hey Rosy. Let @Crazy Dave Condon help you. I’m serious about that. There is no better advice you can take. He’s the man when it comes to your boat. He and I kid and cut fool about some things but he’s all business when it comes to the H260 and other trailerable boats. And it doesn’t matter what the cause was. He’ll help you. Even with how to talk to the adjuster and the surveyor.

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
... Anyone know someone on Miami that can put this thing back together for us...
Since you are at CGSC, you probably already have access to the people who can best answer that question. Some of the members of that club either currently or previously, have worked for high end refit yards & high end yacht builders.

During some upper echelon Star class races on Biscayne Bay a few years ago, 5 boats lost their masts during a race that encountered quickly-building conditions that had not been forecast. I was in the middle of that mess. The following morning, I saw 4 of those 5 dismasted boats back on the starting line. The resources that you need are not far away, but it might be more cost effective to buy standard parts through the people on this web site. The custom yards are often not shy about charging for the convenience that they provide.

Also, +1 on Kermit's comments. Dave is a wonderful resource on all things Hunter.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
Waiting for insurance quote...Rigger suggested replacing mast as a crack was found where the spar connects to the mast. Found a rigger that is used to working with the insurance carrier which happens to be Progressive through USAA....will keep you posted

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
This might serve as a learning experience for all those reading both this and the thread Phil posted regarding rigging inspection practices.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
This might serve as a learning experience for all those reading both this and the thread Phil posted regarding rigging inspection practices.
How very true.

On the race I sailed with the couple in the other fleet on Sunday, we blew up the vang going upwind in 16 knots of true wind. The screw pin had come out of the shackle loop, and was held closed only by the strength of the stainless resisting bending. Probably had been like that all year, but in practice they never loaded up their vang. Well I did, and it pulled apart under pressure and blew.

Had it been inspected and closed it never would have been close to its breaking strength and would not have failed. I hate to think about if that had been a mission critical part of the standing rigging. Inspect inspect inspect.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
First I concur with Phil as there is too much testerone here and need to focus. Why? This is a site to help fellow sailors.
Here’s my take on this Dave. Sometimes I think this site tries too hard to be a nanny. Smart people with strong options can disagree sometimes. Usually here it stays respectful. I might not always agree with @JimInPB , but he’s a smart guy and a good sailor and i respect his option.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Here’s my take on this Dave. Sometimes I think this site tries too hard to be a nanny. Smart people with strong options can disagree sometimes. Usually here it stays respectful. I might not always agree with @JimInPB , but he’s a smart guy and a good sailor and i respect his option.
I'd go a step further -
Let's not get too sensitive and lose sight of the issue here. That being safety or rather the lack thereof because some are too lazy to routinely inspect their rigging.

We have no clue why someone lost a mast and I'm not implying it was self-inflected but that we all have the responsibility (and culpability) to ensure our boats are as safe as practicable. I can think of many trivial things about which we disagree but this isn't one of them.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Sometimes I see more what is going on based on experience. First I do not know exactly where the boat is plus I know the boat very well. I approach from knowledge and experience. The owner reached out to me which I made a suggestion to keep me in the loop. Further there were three different mast mfgs. with this boat. As to cause or failure yes it would be helpful to know but fixing is more important. I felt some folks said a little too much in the beginning unrelated to repairs. As for the owners they are new to sailing and this is distressing to them which is why I reached out.

JiminPB too reached out and I too respect and grateful for his contributions as well as you. Therefore I like my monkey scratching his head am wondering what you meant in your last comment to me.

It is reported progressive ins thru USAA which I am too is a good company. When Kermit filed his insurance claim, Bost US hired an independent ins adjuster who knew squat and was very rude. I got involved until a marine surveyor got involved whom we knew each other and Kermit’ s claim was handled well after that.

All I am saying new folks needus to guide them thru and to help them to learn from all of us

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@rosypar1

Can you update us? If there is anythihg I can still do you have my contact information. IF the cause were determined, can you advise as it could help others. We know you are new and like us, we too were there at one point in the beginning. You should have seen me nervous the first time I drilled thru a hole to install a transducer. A fellow sailor reached out and was gracious to help. I was so grateful for that help.

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
Still waiting for insurance. Have to replace mast as it suffered crack under spar. Hopefully will have today. They were contacting old owner. Meanwhile. Sit and wait. Ordered mast. Will be 3-4 weeks. Trying to see if we can purchase only one strut from hunter as other seems to be ok. Will let you know sometime this week. Thank you so much

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
Did you ever get a picture of the part that appears to have failed first & caused the loss of the mast?

Thanks,
Jim

Apr 23, 2018
Hunter 260 Miami
We believe, or the insurance company believes, that the starboard strut was partially to blame for the mast to fall. the other issue was that, I did not know, that we were in the process of replacing one of the shrouds and were waiting for receipt of parts and the return of the rigger from vacation when the storm came through. The insurance company, so far has been very receptive, since we have documentation of order, and emails to and from the rigger. Our boat is moored right next to the channel and there is a lot of current in the area. Other sailboats that were unprotected also suffered some kind of damage. hopefully now Wednesday will be D Day for the insurance to let us know how much they will cover. Keep you posted

Attachments