Looking for a practical trailer sailer.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
In addition to tow vehicle capacity, how important is the energy and time needed to rig?
Never noticed. There's always a bigger winch and a larger truck. Trouble is, she doesn't like the look of the F550. :)

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Another example for the 10 percent ramp. If the boat sits up 1.5 feet on the the trailer compared to another boat, the higher boat would need to go say 15 feet farther down the ramp.
Or, you discover that the tractor at the marina has a three point hitch, that can drop the front of the trailer until it's almost on the ground. This has the advantage of keeping the trailer closer to level with the water. Way, way more effective at loading the boat, and after all that design effort with dolly wheels and push bars, the John Deere puts it all to shame. :) (Leaves more time for beer)

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
I all but given up on pop tops after the Sirius 21. Its not easy to set up the pop top with tent everyday. I have a Northface Minibus 2 person tent. May be I can use it without the fly outside, hanging it on the mast to keep the bugs out.
Where there's a will, there is a way. I installed gas struts on the pop top of our Mac 25 (best mod ever) and it can now be raised with one hand. no solid struts to deal with. our pop top tent was made from a retired coleman nylon tent and a simple toss over the open pop top and two clips in the rear hold it in place (it's weighted around the lower edge to hold it in place). 2 minutes total set up time on a slow day.
I've been looking for a "better boat" for 5 years now, but the Mac 25 simply does everything we could ask of it. 2100 lb advertised. 231 phrf. standing room in the pop top area. roomy in both cabin and cockpit. comfortable sleeping accommodations. weighted swing keel (no water ballast) low initial price (3K for a nice one) etc, etc.

Russ

Aug 29, 2019
Sandpiper Sandpiper 565 Toronto
CharlieRN asked about Canadian tax/duty, $800 tax free per person when away for more than 48hrs. So wife and I can get up to $1600 tax break for boat and trailer(2 pc).

Speaking of cover for motorsailing, sun, bugs and rain. I have a 10ft ladder and will mount it to a custom bracket at mast base and 6.6" above cockpit floor. Attach 200 watts solar panels on top, hang a tent fly during the day and add a net at night. I know, I make purist cringe:).

Oh, forecast calls for snow next week and boat for sale listings are dropping faster than temperatures.

Attachments

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
What a great idea. Thanks @Dim Sum ! I have a screen tent that’s rain proof that might fit my trimaran if I need to camp somewhere that’s buggy. It will take more time to set up, and be more bulky than hatch screens, but would create a nice big, bug free party room for 12 people!!

Luckily, the bugs aren’t a bother where I typically sail, along California.s coast and in the Salish sea. But if I want to sail inland and coastal waters with bugs, that would be nice.

One nice feature of the hammock fly is that it’s very stable in storms with driving rain and high winds. That’s a very different scenario.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2017
MacGregor 25 Madison, WI
I can rig my swing keel Mac 25 in 20 minutes. The mast is light enough I can lift it with my hands if I stand in the right position.

Aug 29, 2019
Have you found your boat yet? What did you get?
No, WWP 19 stats are most ideal for how I want to use the sailboat. I like to see one before deciding as sailboats are so hard to sell. We went through 5 camper set up before ending up importing a JDM Toyota Granvia(final answer). The Sandpiper 565 was cruiser strike 1:-(. PS there’s was a McGregor 22 pop top on eBay asking for $1200 with trailer and a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke outboard. No takers.

Sep 1, 2019
ComPac Sun Cat On the Delaware
No, WWP 19 stats are most ideal for how I want to use the sailboat. I like to see one before deciding as sailboats are so hard to sell. We went through 5 camper set up before ending up importing a JDM Toyota Granvia(final answer). The Sandpiper 565 was cruiser strike 1:-(. PS there’s was a McGregor 22 pop top on eBay asking for $1200 with trailer and a Yamaha 8hp 2 stroke outboard. No takers.
Since you're interested in the WWP 19, have you checked the PotterYatchers web site? There are a number that still being offered that have been for sale for some time. While none are in Canada, there is one in NH, so only a days drive from Toronto. There is also one in DE, still only a day from you. I had been interested in the WWP 19 and had been in touch with the owners of both boats but did not view either. The owner of the NH boat says it's in pristine condition - and he's price it accordingly. It does come with a lot of options though.

By the way, I eventually decided the WWP 19 was a bit too small and concentrated on the slightly larger boats like the Seaward 23, ComPac 23 and Rhodes 22. I eventually settled on the R22 because it has a large cockpit, a decently laid-out cabin (with a head and well-designed pop-top) and a number of other useful features. You'd need a vehicle with 4,000 lb towing capacity for the Rhodes (or Seaward), and 5,000 for the ComPac however.

Aug 29, 2019
Thanks for the heads up CharlieNR. We are currently experiencing a deep freeze up here in the great white north. Once the weather improves, we will be heading toward New Orlean then onto Key West for New Years Eve. Hopefully, there will be a WWP 19 for sale along the way. There was a WWP 19 for sale in Duluth and I missed it by a day:-(. If WWP 19 is what I want, then will look for one from fresh water states. The trailer in great shape and free of rust is just as important as the sailboat itself.

Jul 24, 2012
Hunter 240 Muskegon
I agree, sounds like you need a bigger boat and different tow vehicle. If you start small you will not be happy and will want to upgrade soon. Might as well start off with the right boat to begin with. Look at the Hunter H240. I’m 65 and raise and lower the mast By myself with Hunters easy mast raising system. I easily tow it to any port around the Great Lakes and go on several 3-5 day sailing Adventures every year. It’s pop up camper top is easy to deploy as well.

FE9566E4-0FF8-4456-9077-00C68DE00702.jpeg

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Back hurts due to keeping up with three yards in the mountains mowing, weed eating, killing copperheads. Next year, just my yard. Yeah another year will pass but the beauty of the Virginia mountains is worth it

Oct 16, 2019
Grampian 26 Fifty Point Stoney Creek
The first boat I bought had 9 stays and took a lot of time to rig. You want a boat with three stays. The side stays you leave attached to the boat and the forestay is the only one to attach. The ComPac Suncat is the easiest boat to rig. Free standing mast, the boom is attached to the tabernacle and has the sail on it. Swing up the mast and lock it in place and you are done.

Oct 16, 2019
Grampian 26 Fifty Point Stoney Creek
Your quote of me got mixed up. The RL is 3000 lbs including the trailer. The Santana 2023 is 2300 lbs including the trailer.
The CS-22 is way different than an RL 24. It is 700 lbs heavier. The RL 24 PHRF is 174. PHRF for the CS-22 is 258, so the 2 boats are going to sail very differently.

I always step the mast by myself. The mast is up within 10 minutes of my arrival at the dock. Super easy to do, with not a ton of extra rigging. A couple of tricks make it easy. First is, I added an extra attachment point for the baby stays that are inline with the pivot point of the mast. They clip in place with carabiners. This stabilizes the mast. I have a custom made gin pole, with 3 cables, 1 clipped to the mast, and 2 to the same rings on my cabin top as the baby stays. I use the main sheet to raise the mast. I should also mention that my mast crutch that I use for transport is also used for a cradle when raising the mast. It has a V-roller on the top, so I just roll the mast back to the step. Made it from a PVC pipe. You just need to think through the design and build it ahead of time. Design it with features that stay permanently attached, so you don't have a lot of messing around when you get to the dock. Keep it simple. I watched Rube Goldberg take 2 hours to step a mast. I couldn't believe what I was seeing.

View attachment 169807
Hi Daveinet, I like your idea of leaving your mast raising system on the boat. You have moved the baby stays in line with the mast. Have you added a back stay? Does your gin pole make it hard to access your anchor?

Feb 23, 2024
Sandpiper 565 Quebec
Speaking of cover for motorsailing, sun, bugs and rain. I have a 10ft ladder and will mount it to a custom bracket at mast base and 6.6" above cockpit floor. Attach 200 watts solar panels on top, hang a tent fly during the day and add a net at night. I know, I make purist cringe:).
I know this is an old thread - but I am so curious what you're using for a canopy & bug net in this photo! It looks like a great setup.