Looking for a practical trailer sailer.

Aug 29, 2019
Sandpiper Sandpiper 565 Toronto
I am looking for a practical trailer sailboat for distant lakes and rivers. Looked at a Catalina 22, Sirius 21 and a Mistal T21 so far. The boats are 1800-2500 lbs, but with a trailer will exceed my towing vehicle rating of 3500 lbs.. My next choice is West Wight Potter 19 but none averrable in my area. There's a Matilda 20 "refitted" locally for a reasonable sum. We will travel 300km to check it out this weekend. Can someone recommend a light weight 20ft pocket cruiser with swing keel for under $10K. Thank you, Bill

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Search the forums here. This has been discussed to infinite levels.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
You appear to be making your towing capacity the governing factor. Always realize that the boat selection will be based on compromises. What is most important to you … size for comfort? Stability? Performance? Price? and, of course, weight. Your choices are going to depend on narrowing down your priorities. Price is relative as well. You can easily find a wide variety of boats for less than $10. But what is important to you? Condition, age, performance, brand recognition? CB is right, this has been discussed so much that there are literally hundreds of suggestions in previous threads. The discussion will be repetitive to many. It looks like you have dismissed a few models just based on weight.

It might be easier to respond to your observations and thoughts about boats that you have or are going to look at. I wouldn't dismiss anything that you run across in your search. You might find a diamond in the rough that hasn't been thoroughly vetted yet by this group. But I would bet that you will get comments about almost anything that you find. The Matilda 20 is one that I haven't heard anything about. Good Old Boat may have done a feature on that model, though.

Aug 29, 2019
We went to check out the Sirius 21 because its cockpit is foam core filled, not plywood. It has a pop top and some amenities for comfort. I found the hatch some what heavy and putting up the tent will be cumbersome, if I had to do it everyday. The Sandpiper 565 was ideal in most aspects, except that large keel hump took up most of the living space. Couldn't care less about performance and brand at this time.

Aug 29, 2019
I am currently considering the Matilda 20 because I will be able to recycle the 3 sails I have from Sandpiper 565. M20 has some amenities, weight is within range, sailboat is described as totally refitted(will see) and price is just $2800 without outboard. My biggest concern is the torpedo keel system. I read some horror stories where it fell off and caused major damage. Trying to find those Matilda owners on this forum.

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Based on the boats your are looking at, it appears that you have a preference for a boat with a cabin and conventional pocket cruiser layout. You could look for Precision 18 or Precision 21 or Starwind 19 to meet your weight limitations. You would probably find more choices if you didn't have a restrictive towing capacity.

Aug 29, 2019
Of the 3 suggestions, Starwind 19 intrigued me the most. We have 7 Siren 17, similar to the Precision 18 for sale between $600-$2000 locally. Not enough living space. Here's the ad for that M20. IF its as advertised, its a steal!
v-view-details.html

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
I understand your concern about looking for a boat and not for a new car. I just want you to make sure that you understand that in most cases maximum towing specifications are a moving target. For example a vehicle in the US may have a towing limit of #2,500 but the same car in the UK mat be rated to tow #3,500 and in some European Countries as high as #4,000. There are various reasons for the disparity and one is that in the US a towing vehicle can drive at the speed limit (70MPH) while in Europe it may likely be restricted to a lower speed. Other reasons may have to do with vehicle design not conducive to handle towing stress or meet fuel consumption standards and even the marketing aspect of trying to get people to purchase a truck vs. a car. Familiarize yourself with the Towing regulations in Canada, I understand they vary among the Provinces and familiarize yourself with the towing rating for your vehicle in Canada as well as in Europe. It is nice to know what the real capabilities of your vehicle are. Always check with your insurance company to see what is their policy on towing.

Jul 23, 2018
hunter 31 aquia
I am currently considering the Matilda 20 because I will be able to recycle the 3 sails I have from Sandpiper 565. M20 has some amenities, weight is within range, sailboat is described as totally refitted(will see) and price is just $2800 without outboard. My biggest concern is the torpedo keel system. I read some horror stories where it fell off and caused major damage. Trying to find those Matilda owners on this forum.
there is a google group for the matilda 20 . Dont remember why i subscribed.

matildasail@googlegroups.com

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
What are you planning to tow with? Engine size etc. Maybe someone else here tows with the same vehicle. Some real world experience.

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
define practical
what should the trailer be like?
what kind of sailor?

It would be a fun thought experiment to start with a person and work towards building the boat around the person.

Is your person sailing, taking a crap down below, getting out of the rain, on a trapeze, drunk on a king size bed with three hookers, etc..

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
My RL 24 is 3000 lbs on the trailer. (I've weighed it) I thought it should be less than that, but that is what the police scales showed. An RL 24 is a well designed boat that is intended to be fast. The boat will plain upwind in the right conditions. Fairly good space in the cabin. Of course you can't stand up, but you can sit fully upright without hitting your head. Because it was designed in Oz, it was built for coastal sailing. There is an engine well, so the motor is inboard enough to keep the prop in the water. The cockpit is designed to drain quickly. The back of the cockpit is only 6 inches tall, so getting pooped by multiple waves in a row will not sink the boat. The boat also has full flotation. I think Rob Legg occasionally posts on the forum, although not as active as he used to be.
You could also look for a Santana 2023. This is a water ballast boat, which advertised boat and trailer weighing 2300 lbs total.

Aug 29, 2019
Hi BobbyFunn,
1st. thing 1st, I am in my 50's now. Can I trade the 3 hookers for Shannen Doherty? lol

Aug 29, 2019
So lets do a prequel, we have 2 vehicles. A Honda CRV and a Toyota Granvia(JDM). Benny17411 is right again, our CRV is rated 1500 lbs towing cap but we towed that teardrop(1600 +400 lbs stuff) all the way to Vancouver in 2014. Aside from going vertically up Rocky Mountains, CRV handled it without complaint. I imported the Granvia from Japan last year(really nice van). I have upgraded the suspension, with new shocks, and added Sumo springs to the coils. It has the same engine as the 4Runner so it should be able to tow up to 5000 lbs.

Attachments

Aug 29, 2019
I have owned a boat most of my life, from a Porta Bote to a 18ft Pontoon boat. We had an E150 conversion van and towed that pontoon boat everywhere. When weather is nice, we tent on it and sleep in the van when its not. But decided to part with it because it was just too much hassle.

Attachments

Aug 29, 2019
The plan was to tow the Sandpiper long distance with Granvia. We can sleep in sleep in the van or boat. Unfortunately, it didn't work out that way:-(. Now the wife wants a sink and loo at minimum. The Matilda 20 does have those 2 features. Will see. I still want to check out the West Wright Potter 19 because the CRV can tow it too.

Attachments

Aug 29, 2019
My RL 24 is 3000 lbs on the trailer, weighing 2300 lbs total.
I looked at a CS-22 with similar features. I had a hard time stepping the mast by myself. CS22 are are selling for $2000-$4500 with trailer locally. I noticed boats built locally are much cheaper than others.