Lifeline Stanchions for Hunter 37.5 Legend

Jun 4, 2015
hunter 37.5 Gulf Breeze
Hello - I am desperately searching for lifeline stanchions for our Hunter 37.5 Legend. Hunterowners shop won't have any in stock until August 7. I need them ASAP! I've searched marine salvage yards online - no luck. These stanchions were used on Hunters from the late 80s through the late 90s, including all of the Legend-era boats as well as some Hunter 31 and 34 models. They have a unique welded wrap around bail. Please let me know if you know of a salvaged Hunter somewhere or if anyone has these stanchions - I need 5.
stanchion.jpg

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
You can probably have those duplicated at Garhaurermarine.com ... they will tell you whether installing a traditional base is possible without altering the toe rail. It's worth a phone call and text photo in any event. I'm not sure what is "unique" about the bail.... having it heavy duty welded was a $15/unit option I ordered when they built stanchions for my boat. I chose a trapazoidal base with square cut fastener holes, heavy duty bracket welds, ferruled wire passageways, flat pole cap, 26" height. I supplied deck angle info for each pair. Besides the two regular pair I also ordered a pair with welded gate brace for about $35/unit more. The square fastener holes in the base allow you to use carriage bolts... meaning one person installation and no slot in bolt head for a cleaner appearance.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
One thought, looking forward to installing a pair of solar panels, would be to have two stanchions made, one for port and the other for starboard, but without the taper like the OEM models. Place them just forward of the pushpit then run a 1" SS tube from the stanchion to the pushpit to hang a swing-up solar panel on each side. Mentioned straight-tube stanchions so one can attach a typical standard 1" fitting for the horizontal tube. Panels will have to be high enough to give access to the stern cleat.

Note: We don't have the horizontal tube but wish I had. Used some plastic wood instead as a temporary setup back in 2006 and it's still there, so I guess that's another option. Really helps being on the hook and not having to run the engine to charge the batteries. In fact, on a rainy day the 130W panels put out enough to keep up with the electrical demand.

100_2915 copy.JPG