Let’s build a Sailors Music Playlist...

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
Another vote for "Cool Change". :thumbup:

And I can't believe no one has said "Ride Captain Ride". For whatever reason, that one gets me singing along like few other songs can.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="
" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
And I can't believe no one has said "Ride Captain Ride". For whatever reason, that one gets me singing along like few other songs can.
Yeah, that’s the one...now I have an ear worm for the rest of the day. Awesome!

"We're callin' everyone to ride along to another shore
We can laugh our lives away and be free once more"

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Thanks for finding that CS&N clip. That was pre Young I guess. It almost seems naive today. Music now is so over produced that a band just playing seems like an anachronism. I don't think they could ever produce their famed harmonies on stage but it was still fun to watch.

Mar 20, 2012
Cal 34-III, MacGregor 25 Salem, Oregon
I have always thought about making a playlist of songs that refer to boating in one way or another...
I prefer a bit more upbeat songs, but there are MANY songs about sailing, boating and being on the ocean that are great...
I dont know how to post youtube vids, but I know how to post links.
here are 3 of my favorites...
Zac brown
Zac Brown
Lyle Lovett
....another one is Garth Brooks, The River, but I couldnt find a video worthy of posting.... his studio release of the song is so much better than his live performances...

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
How about making up new versus to 'What do you do with a Drunkin Sailor',

"Strand him on a boat with two actresses for five months.
Strand him on a boat with two actresses for five months.
Strand him on a boat with two actresses for FIVE MONTHS.
Earli in the mornin'."

"Give him a boat that lost her keel.
Give him a boat that lost her keel.
Then pay for it all on GoFundMEE!
Earli in the morning. "

- Will (Dragonfly)

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
This is a real Sea singing "ditty" with lyrics...
Jim...

PS: Clinking mugs of Grog! Falee rahle rahle rahle rye doh!!

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Gotta have some reggae in the mix; some Bob Marley, Gregory Isaacs, stuff like that. Also a couple shanties like Spanish Ladies and such; some hard rock jigs are cool to have, too, and when you're racing on high seas and wanna feel like a bada$$, Pirates of the Caribbean theme music is always the way to go.

Sep 22, 2017
Macgregor, Hunter 26S, 23 Wing Keel SF Bay

When my turn comes for Eight Bells this song is the one I hope my friends will play as they raise a glass .....

Fiddler's Green performed by Marley's Ghost on the Live at Freight and Salvage album.
Other posters here liked CSN&Y harmonies. Those of you who value the interplay of gifted and versatile musicians will appreciate this acapella gem. In fact you will find much to treasure while sailing in the Marley's Ghost catalogue, which does include reaggae covers but also a tribute to "music past" in the Dicken's sense. Further plug: This band is still performing and is on the card of California's longstanding Strawberry Music Festival in May, 2018. At least as good live and perhaps even better than their recordings, I believe they play first and foremost for love of the music and each other. They deserve a wider audience and you will see why if you give them a listen. They make a joyful sound.