leaking stern pulpit flange

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
O'Day 28 flange leak into the starboard quarter berth area. Occasional drip for years now too much and needs attention. Pull all three bolts, lift flange and Life Caulk the outline of the flange, plus the bolts or is there a smarter technique?

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
Take a look at this thread entitled "stanchion sealant" and in particular post #2 by Maine Sail and second thread by Compass Marine on rebedding deck hardware. According to the last thread you need a caulk that's very elastic and will take the movement that stachions take. LifeCaulk and 4200 are reportedly good caulks but do not have the elasticity of butyl. Others in the forum might have other recommendations.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
So, today I went down to have a look and try to get a better idea of whether or not this leak was really coming from that flange or someowhere else. I took a jug of water and some thumb gum to create a dam around the flange so my water would only go in that area. It rained yesterday very hard so I figured I would find a decent size puddle. Booooiiiiiiinnnnnnggggggg! Nothing. No wetness in the quarter berth, the side wall (which is a woven material and holds moisture well) and no dampness on the flange nuts themselves. Looks like I have a winter only leak.
Not sure if that is good news or bad....I guess a bit more good. Anyone else seen this sort of thing?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
So, today I went down to have a look and try to get a better idea of whether or not this leak was really coming from that flange or someowhere else. I took a jug of water and some thumb gum to create a dam around the flange so my water would only go in that area. It rained yesterday very hard so I figured I would find a decent size puddle. Booooiiiiiiinnnnnnggggggg! Nothing. No wetness in the quarter berth, the side wall (which is a woven material and holds moisture well) and no dampness on the flange nuts themselves. Looks like I have a winter only leak.
Not sure if that is good news or bad....I guess a bit more good. Anyone else seen this sort of thing?
If you sealed something up, and no leak, good on you!

But, if you didn’t seal anything, and it didn’t leak THIS time, rest assured, it will leak again. Just depends on the storm, the wind direction, how much water comes down, and other factors us mere mortals cannot fathom.

It makes finding the source all that much more fun!

Greg

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
No, I did not seal anything up so guess I have to wait for next winter....You don't mean fun, you mean "fun" right?

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Right!
No, I did not seal anything up so guess I have to wait for next winter....You don't mean fun, you mean "fun" right?
Right!

But a little water won’t hurt anything. Make sure you get out and sail that boat!

Greg

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
On my way in an hour, wind or not! Big storms have blown well out to sea.............