stanchion sealant

GarEi

Mar 8, 2009
2 303 Barnegat
I have a Pearson 303 and am rebeding a stanchion. There is a rubber pad under the base of the stanchion. I have new silicon rubber to put under the base, any idea what sealant to use?

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
I have a Pearson 303 and am rebeding a stanchion. There is a rubber pad under the base of the stanchion. I have new silicon rubber to put under the base, any idea what sealant to use?
Don't use the gaskets. These were one of the worst design ideas ever done in production boat building. Yes it saved lots of time & money in production but ruined hundreds of thousands of dollars in decks.. Use a Marine Sealant or follow the instructions here:

Bedding Deck Hardware

Jan 14, 2014
Newport Newport 28 Fair Haven, NY
Yep, Butyl tape is a wonderful thing! I've done the same on mine from last year, and it's still 100% dry, and couldn't imagine using anything else. Easy to work with, and works perfect for that application.

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Just purchased putty and wow what a dream to work with. I will be using this for all my projects come this fall. With a score of 0-BAD to a 10 excellent! I give it an 10.