Leading Halyards back to cockpit

Mar 11, 2016
Catalina 27 Seabrook, Texas
On my 1976 Catalina 27, I want to be able to raise the mainsail from the safety of the cockpit. From my reading, it looks like I need a standing block at the base of the mast leading out to a deck organizer and then back to the cockpit. I may also need a small winch on the deck and either a cleat or a clutch also. I would appreciate any suggestions and/or pictures to help me. Many thanks.

Jul 14, 2015
Catalina 30 Stillhouse Hollow Marina
On Sirius 21. No winch with standing block at mast
2015-12-12 14.59.52.jpg

Winch on C-30 with clutch in front of it.
2016-01-13 15.59.35.jpg

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
I pull the Halyard back to the Jib winch in the cockpit instead of using the one one the Top deck I find it simple to do and the Line reaches it Fine I pull the main Up regularly using this Method works fine Try It

Jul 14, 2015
I pull the Halyard back to the Jib winch in the cockpit instead of using the one one the Top deck I find it simple to do and the Line reaches it Fine I pull the main Up regularly using this Method works fine Try It
Just make sure you angle your clutch or cleat for less than a 10 degree swing toward the winch you are using.

May 20, 2016
Clark San Juan 30 Blaine WA
Done that it is a perfect angle to the winch at first found it was off so I did adjust it to go in the same direction Thank you that was a very helpful suggestion as well

Mar 11, 2016
Thanks for the great advice. One more: At the base of the mast, there is nothing to attach a block to. So, I figure I have to use a standing block

Jul 14, 2015
You should be able to drill a hole in the mast plate vertical sides. See my first photo

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
I have 6 blocks at the base of the mast. Organizers at both sides, clutches and winches. 2 genoa halyards and Staysail halyard on the port side. Main, reef, and spare on port side. Everything ked aft. Harken Traveler in front of the wheel. Do a lot of single sailing and akso racing.

Mar 11, 2016
Since there is nothing to attach a block to at the base of the mast, would it will be OK to drill holes in the deck to place a standing block near the base of the mast? What kind of backing plate should you advise?
If that's OK, I will then proceed with an organizer, clutch, and maybe a winch on the deck. Thank you

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Here's some old pics from my boat about 15 years ago and is similar to the factory set up from the 70's.... there's new winches, cleats and hardware now... but if you're on a budget I would set it up like this... yes, you can add a stand up block at the mast. an organizer then back to the winch.. If you're just going to set up the mainsail halyard it is customary to lead it to the starboard side... the headsail halyards would go down the port side. My suggestion is to mount the winch as far aft as you can .... the cleat or clutch will be a foot or so in front. In the picture the winch is a bit too far forward.. When I re organized I move the winch aft and installed clutches.... My suggestion for a halyard winch, depending on you budget is a size 14 to 18... Self tailing if you can afford it... two speeds are rare now in the small sizes... so if you need more power invest in a 10" palm grip winch handle.

Attachments

Last edited:
Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
If you're only running one line back on each side, a simple cheek block will do to turn it aft instead of an "organizer."

If you have roller furling, don't bother to run the jib halyard aft.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
+1
My jib halyard was run to the cockpit. I realized the trailing end just added clutter in the cockpit so now I coil it and hang it from a cleat on the mast.

Aug 2, 2010
J-Boat J/88 Cobourg
If you're only running one line back on each side, a simple cheek block will do to turn it aft instead of an "organizer."

Stu, I have been thinking about doing just this since I want to run my downhaul and vang lines back for trimming and I never change the jib halyard setting. I get that someday I might wish to tune the job halyard tension for better sail trim but I have far more work on the other trim options at the moment. I do not have a cleat on the mast on the correct side now, any advice on cleat installation on the mast when it is up? Do I need to get it down to fasten nuts and washers inside it?
Dan

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Jib halyard tension is a great sail control to help set headsail draft position, even with a furler.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Jib halyard tension is a great sail control to help set headsail draft position, even with a furler.
I wanted to say the same thing. Even though it's a Hood furler, I'm pleased that my Hunter has a halyard led back as opposed to my old fixed tension CDI furler on the Mac.

Nov 28, 2009
Catalina 30 St. Croix
If you are mounting any hardware on the mast, just drill and tap. The fastenings are in shear instead of tension. I prefer everything aft since I race my boat, we play with the halyard constantly.