Laura Dekker avoids pirates.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
We can lay to rest the heated discussion that arose a while back about whether the teenager, laura dekker, should be sailing in pirate infested waters. Firstly, she did not disclose her destination on her blog and shut down her website's gps link, feeling that keeping her route undisclosed to the public would be safer.... then a reader suggested that an evil pirate could figure out where she was by analyzing the weather and sea conditions she always included in her daily transmissions... so... they put the blog pulication on 2 weeks delay.

So........ where is Laura?.................. The blog is now current and sometime today or tomorrow she arrives in Durban, South Africa. A 6000 nautical mile, seven week passage across the Indian Ocean.... Darwin to Durban! Lots of storms and difficult sailing... Way to go Laura!

http://www.lauradekker.nl/English/Home.html

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
godspeed and smooth sailing to the girl!!! she is awesome.

Mar 29, 2011
Beneteau 361 Charlotte,Vt
This crap will continue until some kid gets killed and then the handwringing will start. Any parent that allows their minor child to do something like this should be charged with child abuse. You read accounts of adults who have done the around the world races talk about being alone for months at a time, and how they at time had trouble dealing with it. Just think what this is doing to these kids. For what some stupid record that doesn't mean anything.

Just my opinion but I'm right anyway.....

Mike

Dec 11, 2010
catalina 27 Chicago
This crap will continue until some kid gets killed and then the handwringing will start. Any parent that allows their minor child to do something like this should be charged with child abuse. You read accounts of adults who have done the around the world races talk about being alone for months at a time, and how they at time had trouble dealing with it. Just think what this is doing to these kids. For what some stupid record that doesn't mean anything.

Mike
Moralist claptrap!
Minors drive... (Minors get in cars driven by OTHER MINORS!)... Minors fly..... Minors cross busy streets! There are a million ways to die in this world, but few ways to really LIVE! (I don't know, but I doubt a "Record" has much to do with it).

Hats off to Laura, and kudos to her parents for respecting her decisions.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
Mixed Emotions

I have mixed emotions about this. Some kids are much more mature than others. I have two sons, one of which would probably have been able to deal with something like this. The other one no way. But both raced motorcycles before they were teen agers. I believe it is up to each parent to make that decision. And it is not up to the rest of us to judge.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.

Mike
My seventeen year old grandaughter catches varsity softball. She is a very gutsy lady. When I told her about this venture her responce was " That's scary". Laura might have the very same thoughts about having a 140 pound senior varsity player trying to take homeplate. These kids know what they can handle. Before I was 18 I was taken to the basic training rifle range so that they could be sure that I knew how to shoot because there was a real posibility that before I was twenty I might have to and my friends might be depending on me. Don't sell short the people you don't know. When i was 12 years old I was sent to the barn to do the milking because I had been taught when I was 11. This was hand milking and I was expected to be able to control a gentle Jersey cow and milk six quarts of milk fom her. I COULD HAVE BEEN HURT! horse shit.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
My seventeen year old grandaughter catches varsity softball. She is a very gutsy lady. When I told her about this venture her responce was " That's scary". Laura might have the very same thoughts about having a 140 pound senior varsity player trying to take homeplate. These kids know what they can handle. Before I was 18 I was taken to the basic training rifle range so that they could be sure that I knew how to shoot because there was a real posibility that before I was twenty I might have to and my friends might be depending on me. Don't sell short the people you don't know. When i was 12 years old I was sent to the barn to do the milking because I had been taught when I was 11. This was hand milking and I was expected to be able to control a gentle Jersey cow and milk six quarts of milk fom her. I COULD HAVE BEEN HURT! horse shit.
Anyone who's been around a farm understands the responsibilities given to kids at a young age. Handling firearms, driving, working with livestock, repairing equipment, understanding business, working long hours... and still keeping up with school...are all part of a farm youngsters life.

There's a show on TV, "Gold Rush", where a 16 year old has taken over his grandfathers gold mine.... what's incredible is that his grandpa would recognize the maturity, knowledge and courage in this boy to hand him such a responsibility.

Perhaps this is what Laura's parents recognize in her.....

Oct 2, 2006
Jboat J24 commack
You are talking about a child who was born on a sailboat as her parents wondered around the world

Joe

Jun 1, 2004

Mike
Actually Mike, I don't think you have a clue. The fact is she's been on this voyage for well over a year.... she's no longer a child. BTW age is no longer considered in circumnavigation records.... young or old.

Jan 12, 2006
Catalina 25 All Over, USA

Mike
You are right.

This is a kid.... She's not old enough to do anything on her own. "Born on a boat", so what? "Born on a farm", so what? "Know what they can handle"...you have to be kidding...they don't know anything at that age, except that they think they know everything. "Kudos to her parents for letting her decide"...put her parents in jail for being stupid.

As noted, age is no longer considered when documenting records of this nature. That's because parents kept letting their younger and younger children go off to try to break some sailing record, that in the grand scheme of things means nothing.

Oct 1, 2011
Hunter 42 Passage Huron, OH
I'm with Bob, Big Windy and Mike. First, I do respect her abilities and wish her a safe trip. But comparing circumnavigation, at this age, alone for this amount of time, with the variables in weather conditions, and other dangers to catching varsity softball...not quite the same. Born on a boat.... so what...working on a farm..so what....none of the items mentioned above by the various posters compare to her voyage and the difficulties and dangers that go with it. Out of curiosity, what kid, before 20 years old, needs to have his parents know he can shoot a riffle, because there was a real chance you would have too...and what friends are depending on him shooting.... ???? What kind of situation is this?

I believe she is very mature, I believe she is EXTREMELY knowledgeable about sailing and has an incredible skill set... Yes, there are a million ways to die....BUT...not at this age.... The bottom line is, if she makes it completely unscathed, then everyone on here will cheer YAY and say I told you so. If something goes wrong...everyone on here will have a million excuses for what happened.... HOWEVER.... if it were YOUR kid, and something did go wrong.... Wouldn't you look back and question whether you made the right decision? IF you say "No" your either a moron or shouldn't be a parent.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
. Out of curiosity, what kid, before 20 years old, needs to have his parents know he can shoot a riffle, because there was a real chance you would have too...and what friends are depending on him shooting.... ???? What kind of situation is this?

Never been in the Military armed forces have you? You would be very surprized by the number of people that can and have gone to war, before they were age twenty, for this country so that you can be very safe.
When in your book does a kid become a man or a woman?

Oct 1, 2011
Ross, actually, my apologies. After re-reading your post, the statement is clearly about the military... Upon reading the first time, it didn't sound that way, so apologies on this issue. When she started this in August of 2010, she was 14... For me, close, but not an adult. And really, born on a boat means nothing... At what age did she actually start absorbing the knowledge needed to sail....?? It surely wasn't from birth, so it's not like she had 14 years of experience when she left. Sailing is a lifetime learning experience. Although, in her defense now, she has experienced more than many of us will ever experience. While respecting her decision to circumnavigate, there is no point to doing it at this age....period...

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
HOWEVER.... if it were YOUR kid, and something did go wrong.... Wouldn't you look back and question whether you made the right decision? IF you say "No" your either a moron or shouldn't be a parent.
Maybe you haven't met my kid. I wish he'd get out of the house. Period. :eek:

All kidding aside, though, I think we all know bunches of folks who are waaaay past 20 years old and you wonder how they even get to work every day.

I'm not sure that age alone should be any limit to qualifications.

For instance, how many of you are over 21 and still have parents who who have't stopped "parenting" you? "It's cold outside, do you have your coat and gloves?" "Don't forget that suntan lotion when you go out on your boat!" The list is endless.

Oct 1, 2011
Stu, well put. Maybe you are right, maybe age should not be the only qualifier, but man, she was young when she left...and even younger when she told mom and dad "Ya know, I'm thinkin' of getting this boat, and well, going around the world"

Also, I am in my upper 40's and am still being "parented" by my 69 yr old mother.

Stu, thanks for jumping in.... always good ideas and the voice of reason. More photos on the boat soon....

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Ross, actually, my apologies. After re-reading your post, the statement is clearly about the military... Upon reading the first time, it didn't sound that way, so apologies on this issue. When she started this in August of 2010, she was 14... For me, close, but not an adult. And really, born on a boat means nothing... At what age did she actually start absorbing the knowledge needed to sail....?? It surely wasn't from birth, so it's not like she had 14 years of experience when she left. Sailing is a lifetime learning experience. Although, in her defense now, she has experienced more than many of us will ever experience. While respecting her decision to circumnavigate, there is no point to doing it at this age....period...
Mainesail has a daughter that has spent many hours on the boat with him. He sometimes slips up and posts a pix of her. When last I saw a picture she was jumping from boulder to boulder on the beach with complete assurance of her ability. Only Mainesail can tell you of her age and knowledge on and about boats.
Donna Lange sailed around with just three stops with considerably less boat time than Laura has had. The two women are about the same physical size. You can read her logs here: http://www.donnalange.com/logworldsailrinz.html

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Although, in her defense now, she has experienced more than many of us will ever experience. While respecting her decision to circumnavigate, there is no point to doing it at this age....period...
One opinion, but not one I share, nor can I let it go...

this attitude is what is/has ruining America...years back people were running their own company in their teens, many seal teams and special forces are barely out of their teens.

Kids can do what is expected of them, and when high expectations are set they step up and perform....when no expectations are set...they do what they do now, sit on their collective butts and play games in the parents basement....see failure to launch

GO Laura!! And kudos to the parents

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
We seem to have a parenting problem in this country.
As parents our job is not to keep our children safe, it is to teach them to keep them selves safe. When my son was about 3 1/2 years old he climbed about fifteen feet into a gum tree and hollared for help. I asked him what was wrong. He said he couldn't get down. I asked how he had gotten up there. He said he climbed. I said well then you will have to climb down. And with that I proceeded to instruct him about safe tree climbing and he climbed down without adlut intervention. The instruction is simple; three points of contact at all times. Two hands and one foot or two feet and one hand. Don't try to move a hand and a foot at the same time. Kids have strong enough grips to support their weight with just their hands. The silliest thing a parent can say to a kid is "hold on tight" or "don't fall." You couldn't pry a kid away from a good grip with tools.
One of the first things we teach is "hot". They learn about falling when they are learning to walk. Kids express "no" before they are a year old and usually before they are six months. Accidents are the biggest concern parents have, so teaching kids how to get out of trouble is as important as keeping them out of trouble. We should expect kids to try everythig so we should make safety the goal because avoidance will not work.
I was watching a high school kid playing with about 6 or8 little kids maybe 7 or 8 years old. They would rush him one at a time and he would toss them aside. I asked the kids if they wanted to take the big guy down and that was what they were trying to do. So I told them that two of them were going to have to grab his legs and sit on his feet. then two more could grab his hands and pull him over backwards. Once they got organized to could control the situation. This was play but sometime they might need to do that for real.
When my kids started high school I told them that in four years they would be leaving home , either for college or military service. I said that it was time to put into practice all of the life skills they would need then and that now was the time when a mistake would not hurt them. When they would be on their own a mistake might cause them to go hungry or worse.

Oct 1, 2011
(One opinion, but not one I share, nor can I let it go...)

(this attitude is what is/has ruining America...years back people were running their own company in their teens, many seal teams and special forces are barely out of their teens.) What "Attitude" are you speaking of here? She was 14 years old when she left, last time I checked Special Forces and Seal teams weren't 14. Don't skew the actual topic.

(Kids can do what is expected of them, and when high expectations are set they step up and perform....when no expectations are set...they do what they do now, sit on their collective butts and play games in the parents basement....see failure to launch) I somewhat agree, Some kids will do the right thing, some kids won't. We don't all live in the perfect military setting. Some kids do set on their butts texting, playing games, watching TV. But nonetheless, we are still talking about a "CHILD" at 14 years old sailing the globe... I DO NOT agree with her or the parents... your responsibility as a parent is to make good decisions for not only yourself, but your family as well. So, in the end, for me, you are right, Kudos to Laura.... for still being alive, hopefully finishing her journey safely and having a wonderful memory of doing something that no one else has.... for the parents... total irresponsibility... She was 14 ......

Status
Not open for further replies.