Laura Dekker avoids pirates.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Chores done, I was free. Would saddle a horse, or get on my bicycle, and be gone all day. Talk about the good old days.

what better motivation to get the chores done, free to roam, sail, fish and play...

but today, where has motivation gone? even money isn't enough for most

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
A local farmer at our church was talking about raising two sons and two daughters on the farm. He said that the kids were roused and sent to do the chores before breakfast and school. The last one out to do the chores had to tend to the chickens. They had to do their chores, had to eat breakfast and had to go to school. They all live nearby all have college educations and they still help on the farm when the stock gets sent to market or there is haying to be done. The kids all are married and have kids of there own.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Does anyone remember Robin Graham and the Dove. He did the same thing in the 70's. I don't remember a lot of squawk then. RE: Atlantic Al. By the time by dad was 16 he had an aircraft carrier blown out from under him by a Kamikaze. Of course she's not old enough. She should drop out of school and should be sitting on the couch playing World of Warcraft until she goes blind and smoking as much pot as she can buy and get knocked up by her worthless boyfriend. And if her parents try to discipline her she can call the cops and have them arrested for abuse. I wish I had the guts and the wherewithall when I was sixteen to do what she is doing. My kids were out sailing before they could walk. I used to sit on my surfboard in California and wish I could be on one of the sailboats on the horizon. My wish came true when I "grew up." Maturity and age are relative. That being said, most sixteen year olds are not old enough to do it. You go Laura!!
I do remeber the Dove, they made a film about it. My dad didnt have an aircraft carrier blown out from under him,he was in the merchant marine, and was pretty lucky. But your comment did make me laugh. I guess though,their were quite a few sixteen year old chaps in the pacific, who maybe did get an aircraft carrier blown out from under them. I can pretty much guarantee, that when kids went downt to sign up during the second world war, in a time of need, even the americans were not that strict about seeing birth certificates, and IDs, before signing them up, specially since, at the time, many places such as new mexico, didnt even have a registrations of births.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
I do remeber the Dove, they made a film about it. ...............
Towards the end of Robin's circumnavigation the Dove wore out....... and he was ready to give it up, having lost all motivation and terribly lonely for the girlfriend he met earlier in the voyage. Under heavy presssure from his father, Robin continued in a new, larger vessel, "Dove II". provided, in part by the contractual agreement his dad had made with National Geographic. By now he was well past 18 years old... but still had notoriety as the youngest circumnavigator..... when he finally finished the circuit, he and his girlfriend reunited and moved to a ranch in Montana or Idaho to a secluded life as far away from the ocean as possible.-With no desire to return to the sea.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Under heavy pressure from his father, Robin continued in a new, larger vessel, "Dove II". provided, in part by the contractual agreement his dad had made with National Geographic.
So whose quest was it??

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Robin Graham was like the mythical Hercules. Hercules picked up an oar, walked inland until someone asked what he was carrying and then he stopped and settled down. As far as whose quest? Today kids aren't "encouraged" enough to finish what they start. Whatever Laura Dekker's motiviation, I salute her. We live in the Hooray for me F... You era. Win at all costs and the rest be damned. Vince Lombardi was full of crap. My granddaughter asked me what foreign language she should take in high school. I told her, Chinese. Those footsteps you're hearing behind you are catching up. Fair winds and full sails....

Jan 22, 2008
If it's the kid's idea to go then why can't the kid decide to stop? Seems it's all the kid's decision as long as it fits dad's plan. After all, if they're mature enough as has been advanced throughout this thread why aren't they mature enough to make ALL the decisions including when to stop?

Look, I agree the idea of adventure is exciting but IMO most of these kids are trying to please dad. That's how I saw it with Robin Graham and both the Sunderland kids. I don't know the details of Jessica Watson or Laura Dekker well enough to say but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it were the same at least to some degree.

Again, I know my opinion is in the minority but it's still my opinion and not likely to change, just like the other side of the issue. You're entitled to your opinion but so am I.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Neil, this is where we need to make the distinction between coersion and encouragement.
All of us have at sometime in our lives considered throwing in the towel or ringing the bell or whatever term you want to use for just plain quiting. And all of us have at sometime had a mentor that spoke just the right words at the right time to inspire us to continue, to persevere, to stick with it for just a little longer.
Some of us are lucky enough to have an internal voice that keeps us going when things get terrible. Some of us look at our kids and our wives and plod along because they need us. We find our inspiration and strength in many places.

Jan 22, 2008
Well yes Ross, but most of us don't have dads entering into binding contracts with National Geographic then putting the pressure on us to fulfill the contract. Dads like this are like over controlling stage moms.

In both the Sunderlands' cases it was about setting records. Whose idea was that? (as if we don't know) Abby might have set a record for most money spent rescuing a yachtie, age and gender notwithstanding.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
All of which brings us to another question, If boaters had no insurance and had to pay for the cost of rescue would we have any where near as many calls for help? Some boaters I have read about believe that money spent on insurance is better spent on strengthening the boat and assuring its seaworthy condition. And there are a few world sailors that don't carry an EPIRB because they believe that it is totally wrong to ask others to risk their lives for a yachty's foolishness or lack of preparation.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
All of which brings us to another question, If boaters had no insurance and had to pay for the cost of rescue would we have any where near as many calls for help? Some boaters I have read about believe that money spent on insurance is better spent on strengthening the boat and assuring its seaworthy condition. And there are a few world sailors that don't carry an EPIRB because they believe that it is totally wrong to ask others to risk their lives for a yachty's foolishness or lack of preparation.
No.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
If it's the kid's idea to go then why can't the kid decide to stop? Seems it's all the kid's decision as long as it fits dad's plan. After all, if they're mature enough as has been advanced throughout this thread why aren't they mature enough to make ALL the decisions including when to stop?

Look, I agree the idea of adventure is exciting but IMO most of these kids are trying to please dad. That's how I saw it with Robin Graham and both the Sunderland kids. I don't know the details of Jessica Watson or Laura Dekker well enough to say but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if it were the same at least to some degree.

Again, I know my opinion is in the minority but it's still my opinion and not likely to change, just like the other side of the issue. You're entitled to your opinion but so am I.
Opinions are fine, Neil, but I suggest you do a little research before making generalizations based on pre determined notions.

So read the books, then reevaluate your opinion.

Jessica's book, "True Spirit", is very revealing about how determination and commitment can lead to success. Her parents were against it from the start.... it was Jessica that did all the organizational work, fundraising, etc.... At age 14 she was bussing tables in a restaurant to earn money for airfare to rendevous with delivery crews..... the goal being to get offshore experience. By the way, at that same age, Laura Dekker had already amassed many offshore miles as a little girl on her parents circumnavigation and later in her own delivery contracts between England and the Nederlands.

Jessica's parents eventually accepted her relentless pursuit of the adventure once shown that she would take extraordinary safety precautions, and gave their consent... then became fully supportive. She is truly an exceptional person, being highly loved and recognized by her countrymen as he continues to tackle big projects and support important causes. She is currently in training as skipper of an all teenage crew to compete in the upcoming Sidney-Hobart race.

Jan 22, 2008
OK Joe,
So you cite the two voyagers I already admitted I knew little about? How shrewd.

Look, it's true teenagers seeking records on whose-ever behest irritates me but early in this thread my position was solo voyaging is unseamanlike. I didn't launch on age or gender issues. Once the thread diverted to these youngsters I commented on three cases with which I was familiar but that's a side issue.

There will be no re-evaluation at this end. I'm okay with you having a differing opinion, why is it so important to you that I conform to yours?

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
OK Joe,
So you cite the two voyagers I already admitted I knew little about? How shrewd.

Look, it's true teenagers seeking records on whose-ever behest irritates me but early in this thread my position was solo voyaging is unseamanlike. I didn't launch on age or gender issues. Once the thread diverted to these youngsters I commented on three cases with which I was familiar but that's a side issue.

There will be no re-evaluation at this end. I'm okay with you having a differing opinion, why is it so important to you that I conform to yours?
Neil, I started this thread as a continuation to a discussion we had last month about how cruisers should avoid pirates. The Laura Dekker example was part of the topic at the time, and was mentioned here to show the dramatic way she, and her parents, decided to handle the risk. I thought people here would find it interesting that they made such a wise decision.

Unfortunately, the pirate issue was of no interest because the thread was immediately hijacked by those who like to give their opinions, even when not asked, about others who do things differently than they. So, Neil, your opinion and that of others, including myself, is of no consequence in this discussion... because she's gone, left the dock a year and a half ago, and is sailing around the world whether you like it or not.

I have no opinion about anyone's desires and goals. I admire the young lady, but you won't hear me advocating teenagers to run off and sail around the world. But on the other hand, you won't here me criticizing those that do.........

Jan 22, 2008
I read back through the thread and counted 14 different posters, yourself included, whose comments are what you seem to object to yet there was something about mine that touched a nerve and as such are deemed inconsequential.

Fine with me. I'll sign off and turn it back over to you for the final word. Something about pirates, right?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
The best way to avoid anybody anywhere is to keep a low profile and not tell any body where you are. It is called going off radar.
My boat can be seen for about 6 miles but if I can avoid being seen for 24 hours I can be anywhere in a circle with a hundred mile radius. Then than odds of finding me are all chance. Further for every hour you don't find me that radius gets longer.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
Opinions are fine, Neil, but I suggest you do a little research before making generalizations based on pre determined notions.

So read the books, then reevaluate your opinion.

Jessica's book, "True Spirit", is very revealing about how determination and commitment can lead to success. Her parents were against it from the start.... it was Jessica that did all the organizational work, fundraising, etc.... At age 14 she was bussing tables in a restaurant to earn money for airfare to rendevous with delivery crews..... the goal being to get offshore experience. By the way, at that same age, Laura Dekker had already amassed many offshore miles as a little girl on her parents circumnavigation and later in her own delivery contracts between England and the Nederlands.

Jessica's parents eventually accepted her relentless pursuit of the adventure once shown that she would take extraordinary safety precautions, and gave their consent... then became fully supportive. She is truly an exceptional person, being highly loved and recognized by her countrymen as he continues to tackle big projects and support important causes. She is currently in training as skipper of an all teenage crew to compete in the upcoming Sidney-Hobart race.
Laura Decker never did any yacht deliveries between the Netherlands, and the UK no one in their right mind would give a fourteen (or thirteen at that time) year old a boat to deliver across the north sea. She sailed her own boat across the north sea, to england, where on her arrival, she was immediately handed over to social services, as she was only thirteen, and turning up in the uk on her own. They in trun called her parents to come and get her, they being the pushy parents they are both refused, and told the authorities to release her back to her boat, and let her sail back to the netherlands. The authorities wouldnt do it, so her parents sat it out in the netherlands for six weeks, refusing to go to the uk to pick her up, and demanding, she be released on her own to her boat. After six weeks, with no one getting anywhere, her father agreed, he would acompany her on the trip back to the netherlands, on her boat, she was then released into his care, they went to the boat, prepaired her to sail out into the north sea, then her father got off, and let the boat go, with her alone on it.
It was her father who bought her the boat, it was they who funded her early sailing, and they are not doing that for nothing, they want something back out of it. Kind of remind me of a realative, who made his three sons play football, even though two of them were not interested, all in the hope they would get a football scholarship, he even bought a video camera, to film his third son and send it to colleges, he did get a scholarship, and dropped out a year later, had he got them to do more homework, and forget about football, they might have actually graduated.

Sep 20, 2006
Hunter 33 Georgian Bay, Ontario, Canada
This thread is getting very close to either being bounced to the War Room or just closed. The bickering is just going back and forth.

Status
Not open for further replies.