Laura Dekker avoids pirates.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Islander/Wayfairer 30 sail number 25 Perryville,Md.
Brian , Will Rogers once asked if the parents of a child killed in an auto accident felt as much pride as the parents of a child killed in combat. Dead is dead. Dying while accomplishing nothing is a waste. Dying while attempting to accomplish a personal goal is what makes all of us better.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
"She was 14..."

Was she 14 when she left on this solo cruise? I don't think so, anyboady can help out here?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
A web page reports her as being 16 when she arrives in Durban South Africa. How long has she been at sea?

Oct 1, 2011
Hunter 42 Passage Huron, OH
She left in August of 2010, she was born in September of 1995. She was 14 when she left and 12 or 13 when she proposed the idea of circumnavigation to her family. Yes, she was 14 when she left....

Oct 1, 2011
Hunter 42 Passage Huron, OH
Guys, I just want to add that I want to sail off into the wild blue yonder as well...my ONLY real point...to me anyway... is she was young... that's all... I just think a tad older would be nice.... She's young...and not as wise as some... older, wiser and more worldly ...that's all...

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
She left in August of 2010, she was born in September of 1995. She was 14 when she left and 12 or 13 when she proposed the idea of circumnavigation to her family. Yes, she was 14 when she left....
That made her 14 years and about 11 months. I know women that have told me that they were pregnant when they were 13.
I seem to recall that when she was about 12 and her parents were arguing about should she or shouldn't she. She untied her boat and sail over to England.
My mother allowed physical size to determine whether or not to grant permission for some venture until I pointed out to her that I was two years older than my brother even though I was six inches shorter

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
It seems very common in this culture to attach maturity to a persons age. How many times have you heard a parent complain that as soon as their kid was 18 he/she was out of the house? What makes them think that they are any more able to be on their own at 18 than 17? Now, there is so much emphasis on protecting children.........which is wonderful..... but at the same time we are protecting them, we also, as parents, need to be preparing them for life. You can't just protect them until they're 18 and then say, okay, you're good to go now, I've done my job. Have you? How do you know when your kid's ready go into the world?.... My son wasn't ready for any such thing at 15.... he spent too much time playing sports and trying to look cool, to make the sacrifice it takes for a project like Laura's..... But my experience with my son doesn't give me the right to judge another parent's child's ability, especially if I don't know anything about the family.

In Laura's case, if you've taken the time to read about it, you'd know that she did battle child protective agencies and the courts in Holland. And the courts finally gave her permission to sail. So she just didn't walk in and tell her dad she bought a boat and was going to sail around the world. This was something that had litterally been ingrained in her upbringing for her entire, short life.

The truth is, she seems much safer out on the open sea in her beloved "Guppy" than anywhere else. She is very self sufficient and resilient. But she isn't necessarily alone in this adventure because she has friends and family that are able to fly to her various destinations for some r&r before her next leg. Her dad has met her a couple of times to help her get the boat ready for the next leg. Can you imagine the sacrifice her divorced parents are making to help her with this? Would you do the same for your kid?

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
What I find really interesting in this "discussion(?)" is the lack of gender. I don't think that I have read one sexist remark. No one has suggested that a boy of 14 would be better prepared than Laura. Which I think is both right and amazing given how varied the participants. The times they are a changing.

zeehag

Mar 26, 2009
1976 formosa 41 yankee clipper santa barbara. ca.(not there)
she was declared competent at age 13. so --why is everyone in usa into running the lives of others--is it because government nannies usa citizens>?? so is passed on to everyone else we see fit to push it off on??? she isnt from usa culture. she is different.
girl is awesome. she is sailing HER dream--NOT her parents dream.
ye jealous??? dont be.
learn from her and go sailing. admire her skill. she has that. she is focused.

Oct 24, 2011
Lancer 28 Grand Lake
My father went to sea, in 1941, aged sixteen-ish, when i say sixteenish, when you take his date of birth, and the time he went to sea, he wasnt sixteen, he was fifteen. He was in Atlantic convoys, but he couldnt even claim the Atlantic Star medal, because he was doing those convoys at fifteen, and they dont give medals to fifteen year olds.

I know for a fact, he did what he said he did, because after he died, i got his discharge book, which shows every ship he ever worked on, and their on the first page, is his first ship, and the date, is 1941, I can also see from the book that he passed for AB three years later. Unlike me, i had to sit some exams to get that certificate, and i had to have 36 months sea time, he just seems to have been given it. I also know from what he told me, that he left school at fourteen, and worked for a year, in 1940 aboard a fishing boat, and gave the money he made to his parents. He was the type of person, who was mature at an early age, and knew he had to work to help his parents out, yet, even in his old age, was full of fun, and didnt take life too seriously.

I think age dosent matter that much, I think if you can sail, and you are happy in yourself, and dont need people constantly around you to tell you what is right and wrong, you can do it. However, i do think that someone like Laura, is going to have a difficult life.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Laura will indeed have a difficult life if the people she meets under estimate her ability and determination. When she has finished this voyage she will still not be old enough to vote. There will be people that question her opinions. She will still need to compete her education.
Most people have had a difficult life if you can get to know them. A few people were born with a silver spoon in their mouth but most people grew up needing more than they had .

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
Call me judgmental but I agree with the minority here that this quest is ill conceived. Since she's already out there I wish her well and hope for a safe conclusion BUT:

• Solo voyaging is unsafe at the outset. Simply put, proper seamanship dictates maintaining a watch while underway at all times, can't be done by the solo sailor. Save your breath on electronic substitutes, I ain't listenin'.
  • What happens when the voyager gets into trouble? (or maybe I should say vacationing voyager since setting off in a yacht can't be considered putting to sea for a living. Such quests are certainly optional) When trouble arrives, out goes the call for help which puts countless others in jeopardy. Tell me that isn't exactly what happened with Abby Sunderland.
Notice that I didn't launch on age or gender. I have no way of knowing what her skills and judgment may or may not be. At any age and regardless of gender, there's no right way to be wrong. And because of her age, that goes for her parents too.

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
Call me judgmental but I agree with the minority here that this quest is ill conceived. Since she's already out there I wish her well and hope for a safe conclusion BUT:

• Solo voyaging is unsafe at the outset. Simply put, proper seamanship dictates maintaining a watch while underway at all times, can't be done by the solo sailor. Save your breath on electronic substitutes, I ain't listenin'.
  • What happens when the voyager gets into trouble? (or maybe I should say vacationing voyager since setting off in a yacht can't be considered putting to sea for a living. Such quests are certainly optional) When trouble arrives, out goes the call for help which puts countless others in jeopardy. Tell me that isn't exactly what happened with Abby Sunderland.
Notice that I didn't launch on age or gender. I have no way of knowing what her skills and judgment may or may not be. At any age and regardless of gender, there's no right way to be wrong. And because of her age, that goes for her parents too.
I agree that solo voyaging is inheritly more dangerous than crewed voyaging. However if you would condemn one person for such poor judgement then you must condem all who sail single handed whether it is an over night passage or an ocean crossing, a single handed boat can get into trouble just because the sailor needs to take a head break. That is one task that can not be put off for very long.

Jan 22, 2008
Fed up w/ personal attacks I'm done with SBO
I agree that solo voyaging is inherently more dangerous than crewed voyaging. However if you would condemn one person for such poor judgement then you must condemn all who sail single handed whether it is an over night passage or an ocean crossing, a single handed boat can get into trouble just because the sailor needs to take a head break. That is one task that can not be put off for very long.
I'm OK with that. Unseamanlike is unseamanlike any way you slice it.

Look, I know mine is an unpopular opinion but that never kept me from spouting off before. This may not or may no longer be the case for Miss Dekker but those youngsters sailing off in quest of a record add another level of irritation for me. There's a reason the entities that track records have dropped the youngest to solo circumnavigate category. They finally did what little they could to remove the carrot on a stick for such stunts.

It's not my place stop solo sailors from doing what they want but to me it is the height of arrogance to expect rescue crews to risk their hiney's when some guy on his yacht gets himself in dutch. Same goes for those solo circumnavigation racers. How 'bout making them responsible for the cost of rescue? How big would the bill be when say, the Argentine Navy diverts from exercises? In Abby Sunderland's recent case there was an SAR aircraft dispatched from Austrailia beyond it's recommended range and at least three commercial fishers diverted to the middle of the Indian Ocean. We only heard about this one due to her age. I'm sure there are many others.

Gives sailing a black eye in my judgment. Yes, I judge.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
Unless somebody jumps in I will be the 35th response. And I don't have an opinion, only questions. Do we have a psychologist on here? Because I am wondering how age plays into this. We equate age with experience, education, and maturity. Laura might have enough experience. And I know the other sex matures earlier than us guys, usually age 30+. But how does maturity affect a sailor's ability to circumnavigate?

KD3PC

Sep 25, 2008
boatless rainbow Callao, VA
Ed

I am no shrink, and likely need one, but if you ask them, you will get their answer...and it won't be a straight one.

In most of the world, age to drink and shoot at people is 18...the US to drink is 21...is that because our kids are soo immature, or is it that they have never learned responsibility and consequences for their actions.

It seems that cruise lines are even changing the drinking/gambling age to be in line with the rest of the world, recognizing that America wants to keep it's kids trapped in infancy, with no consequence for anything, even first time failure by those kids at 30 years plus.

Let the capable and responsible kids do what they want, they are the drivers and entrepeneurs of our future. If you are waiting on the OWS crowd to lead us, I would suggest Ms Dekker in the stead.

YMMV

Jul 29, 2010
Macgregor 76 V-25 #928 Lake Mead, Nevada
Does anyone remember Robin Graham and the Dove. He did the same thing in the 70's. I don't remember a lot of squawk then. RE: Atlantic Al. By the time by dad was 16 he had an aircraft carrier blown out from under him by a Kamikaze. Of course she's not old enough. She should drop out of school and should be sitting on the couch playing World of Warcraft until she goes blind and smoking as much pot as she can buy and get knocked up by her worthless boyfriend. And if her parents try to discipline her she can call the cops and have them arrested for abuse. I wish I had the guts and the wherewithall when I was sixteen to do what she is doing. My kids were out sailing before they could walk. I used to sit on my surfboard in California and wish I could be on one of the sailboats on the horizon. My wish came true when I "grew up." Maturity and age are relative. That being said, most sixteen year olds are not old enough to do it. You go Laura!!

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
For the naysayers

There are some things we know for sure in this case. She isn't sitting on a couch, playing video games, eating donuts and frying her brain and getting fat. She isn't doing drugs. She isn't getting pregnant. She isn't robbing convenience stores. And the best for last. She is not out there for any reason other than her own wishes and desires. She can quit at any time she wants. When we regularly hear and see all the crap todays kids are doing, all bad, this is like a breath of fresh air to me. When it is no longer uncommon to hear of a parent killing their kids, or kids killing the parents, what this girl is doing is a totally different game. Is the reason some think it's so bad, is because it is go different than what were used to hearing?

Ross

Jun 15, 2004
When are American parents going to start teaching their children to stand on their own feet. I told my boys that if they wanted access to a car they had to have a job and they had to maintain passing grades in school. No job, no car. Poor grades, no car. Abuse the car you have to walk for a time. Abuse it again and you get to walk for a longer time. Chores at home- of course. trash in their path in the yard -pick it up. By the time my younger son had his own place he was complaining about his sloppy neighbor leaving trash in the yard and the garbage can at the curb. My friends thought that iwas tough on my kids but they went to college or into the army and and established homes for themselves and are raising families and teaching values.
I told them when they started high school that summertime was NOT a vacation it was a break from school and time for them to get a job and earn some money.

May 11, 2005
Seidelman S37 Slidell, La.
You and I

Ross, you and I would probably be in jail for child abuse, in todays society. Imagine making a child actually do some work, give them chores to do, make them pick up after themselves. How could we be so cruel. And when we were young, wow. As a boy, growing up in a small farming community, if someone in town saw me do something bad, they would more than likely spank my little but. Never worried too much about that, but did that they would tell my dad, and then I would really get it. Summers in grade school, I had my chores to do. Chores done, I was free. Would saddle a horse, or get on my bicycle, and be gone all day. Talk about the good old days.

Status
Not open for further replies.