Kick-up Rudder Rope

Nov 5, 2020
O'Day 26 Fort Walton Beach
I recently bought an O'Day 26 with one of the rudders on this site (part #805657). The rope doesn't appear to be run properly. The only way I can raise this thing is by getting beside it on the swim ladder and pulling up very hard.

There are two small pulleys. Does anyone know how the rope should be run?

Thanks.

Attachments

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
There's a technique to it, ask Jeff at RudderCraft, here's a few YouTube videos, one showing a 2-jerk method to raise it:

Jul 30, 2019
Seaward 25 777 Fort St. James
This is how the rope runs:
Screenshot_20201111-154323.jpg

Screenshot_20201111-154356.jpg

Screenshot_20201111-154419.jpg

Yes, there's a technique. Either raising or lowering you need to pull hard for just a second or so. This gets the rudder swinging, and then the gas shock takes over. However, the gas shock needs to be in good shape. On my brand new $1000 rudder, a weak shock made the process near impossible, and Ruddercraft simply did not believe me. I did not have a good interaction at all with them, and had to be very forceful in my insistence on a replacement shock. The replacement worked well. I sent them the defective shock at my own expense and never received an acknowledgement, let alone an offer of reimbursement of my $25 shipping expense.

Anyway, try a big Yank or a short, violent jerk. If you cannot find either of these people, have a go yourself.

Last edited: