KEEL BOLTS

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Does anyone know what size the keel bolt nuts are on a 1990 Beneteau 36s5 and what they should torqued to?

Thanks!

Thetone

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
I would measure your bolt and nut size, confirm material and check with your boat yard on what torque they recommend for these specifications. You can also refer to the attached Table A7 from ISO/DIS 12215‐9.2 which defines the loads and specifies the scantlings of sailing craft appendages on monohull sailing craft with a length of hull of up to 24 meters. You also might find the following thread useful:

Attachments

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
Get a caliper measuring tool and measure them. My local beneteau dealer was very helpful with torque specs. Mine came with bolts, I was looking into replacing the bolts and was told they only make studs and double nuts now. I am still waiting on the replacements from the dealer. below is the info they gave me.

Attachments

Last edited:
Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
I changed mine out with dacromatised bolts from Fastenal, Beneteau used 8.8 which is equivalent to SAE grade 5.
I upgraded to 10.9 which is equivalent to grade 8 and also added stainless steel plates with gussets to spread the loads. My bolts were M20 and the tensile strength is 30,000 lbs more than 8.8
In your instructions it tells you to thread the rod in to 37 foot lbs ,however it does not tell you what to torque the nut too. Hopefully its not stainless ,as stainless cannot be used in cast iron as galvanic reaction will cause the cast to eat away ,unless the stainless is coated to prevent this.

Attachments

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
Get a caliper measuring tool and measure them. My local beneteau dealer was very helpful with torque specs. Mine came with bolts, I was looking into replacing the bolts and was told they only make studs and double nuts now. I am still waiting on the replacements from the dealer. below is the info they gave me.
I measured the bolts 30mm loosened and torqued 5 bolts. When I opened up the middle sole now I see 4 giant 70 mm bolts. Looks like I'll have to get a bigger socket.