Issues removing cutless bearing.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I suspect that the collets may not be making contact with the bearing sides but instead are wedged between the rubber.
This would certainly explain why you are having such a difficult time, my son and I did the bearing on his boat and we made our own puller, the collets were pieces of pipe cut lengthwise, the pusher was a bearing puller/splitter from Harbor Freight (Bearing Separator and Puller Set) and some 1/2" all thread. We put spacers under the home made collets to ensure they didn't slide into the bearing.

• Helpful
Jun 2, 2014
Catalina 30 mkII - 1987 Alamitos Bay Marina, LB, CA
No such thing ..........the only stupid question is the one not asked....the Cutlass bearing is the only prop end support the drive end is supported by the coupling which is bolted to the transmission output shaft coupling.
Thank you!! I assumed as much, but wanted to be sure.
What about the shaft/rudder question? Can I pull the entire shaft out without dropping the rudder?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Can I pull the entire shaft out without dropping the rudder?
Depends on the boat. Some yes, some no. If there is enough play in the rudder bearings or if like the E- 28 the engine is offset you can.

Jun 2, 2014
Depends on the boat. Some yes, some no. If there is enough play in the rudder bearings or if like the E- 28 the engine is offset you can.
How would I find out ahead of time? 1987 mkII, M25XP

May 19, 2016
Catalina 30 Riverside, NJ
Email from StrutPro recommends checking the shaft for equal clearance through strut, if not then decouple the shaft to remove tension from bad angle. I feel that the collets are wedged into rubber, between bearing and shaft, which would not allow me to reverse tool to push bearing back in and collets out, but instead would increase wedging.

I hope it’s nice this weekend, I feel it’s going to be long

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
How would I find out ahead of time? 1987 mkII, M25XP
I’ve never tried it on your boat, maybe someone else on here knows. Other than that I think it’s try it and see. Park her in a spot that has a soft spot under the rudder just in case. I was lucky with the E-28 , with the off set motor I didn’t even have to take the prop off. Might get enough angle taking the cutlass bearing out etc.
Not very helpfull, sorry

Jun 2, 2014
I was able to replace the shaft on my 1988 C30 without removing the rudder.
Thanks. Sounds like it's possible on mine then. Obviously, removing the prop etc would likely be required. But, maybe not since I have a two blade folding?

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks. Sounds like it's possible on mine then. Obviously, removing the prop etc would likely be required. But, maybe not since I have a two blade folding?
I cannot comment on that. My prop is a three blade AutoProp and it needed to be removed. Given the tapered shaft it came off without a struggle. The much harder part was removing the transmission coupling flange from the engine end of the shaft. I ended up needing to cut the old one off with my offset grinder. I put a split hub coupling on it so that it should be much easier next time.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
@snoopy_

When you ordered the Strut pro, did it come with multiple collets? When I looked into one, I thought it did...so are you sure you are using the right one?

It looks like your are using a tool for a 1 1/4” prop shaft....is that correct for your Catalina 30? My 32-foot boat has a 1” shaft...so just want to make sure.

What size bearing did you order for replacing the old one? Length, ID and OD?

if the strut doesn’t use set screws, then maybe the bearing is supposed to be a press fit...so it could be harder to push out(a d push in the new one) than a strut with set screws....

When I did mine (with a home-made tool and a strut with set screws) it pushed out easily...

Good luck, it can be very frustrating....you should have seen me change out the shaft coupling, stuffing box and shaft :banghead:

Greg

May 19, 2016
Tally Ho, shaft is 1”, bearing is 1” ID, 1.25” OD, 4” length.

I ordered the single set from StrutPro, single size collets for my boat, which was $350 vs $850 I think.

I am pretty sure I screwed the pooch. I think I should have ensured the collets were contacting the bearing shell before trying too hard. Having never done this before I wasn’t sure what resistance there would be, but I am guessing the the collets were driven into the rubber and wedged themselves. I will confirm Friday, which is my next day off.

Thanks,

May 19, 2016
Hello,

I screwed the pooch on this removal. I finally removed this bearing using 4' length of pipe as a lever. I soaked the thing for a week in PB Blaster, but it didn't help so I decided to just keep ratcheting away until it came fully out. Now, of course, the collets are jammed in the strut and the shaft won't rotate at all. Using a strap wrench I attempted to rotate it, but I am tired of playing with it and will enlist professional help tomorrow.

I think using the pipe on the strut also caused a crack in the fiberglass, which will have to be resolved as well.

I do not like boats anymore. ;)

Attachments

Last edited:
Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Hello,

I screwed the pooch on this removal. I finally removed this bearing using 4' length of pipe as a lever. I soaked the thing for a week in PB Blaster, but it didn't help so I decided to just keep ratcheting away until it came fully out. Now, of course, the collets are jammed in the strut and the shaft won't rotate at all. Using a strap wrench I attempted to rotate it, but I am tired of playing with it and will enlist professional help tomorrow.

I think using the pipe on the strut also caused a crack in the fiberglass, which will have to be resolved as well.

I do not like boats anymore. ;)
Yeah, that looks painful.

Can you get the collets out of the strut at this point? Banging on them in the strut isn’t going to help the strut at all.

Greg

May 19, 2016
Nah, they’re in there pretty good. I thought of using new collets to reverse the process, but I spoke to a guy next to me who gave me the name of a professional. I texted him and he is on it. I’ve got so many jobs to do before getting it back to the water, I can’t waste any more time on it.

May 19, 2016
Archimedes Quotes
Give me a lever long enough and a fulcrum on which to place it, and I shall move the world.

There are no set screws in this strut, so that waas not the issue. I soaked the strut with PB a few weeks before attempting the removal and I still screwed it up. I even made a hammock out of plastic zip lock bags and filled it with PB, but I think I screwed it up from the very start. It did not look like rocket science, I even paid what I though was the best took for the job, but it turned out badly for me. I turned it ocer to a professional boat shop, so I assume he will make it right. If not, I’m loading it with C4 and sinking it! :)

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Before you C4 it, give us all first dibs on parting it out. LOL.

It will be interesting to see if the pro can diagnose why she got stuck!!

May 19, 2016
Ha! You’ll have to buy it from the insurance company. But I’ll sink it someplace very shallow. ;)

P.S. StrutPro believes the shaft was not straight in the strut and suggested disconnecting it, which I didn’t do.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
If you applied a four foot lever to that strut you may have bent it. If so you might as well remove it and bring it to a prop shop to have the bearing replaced and the strut straightened. Alignment, even with the original strut, will be difficult. Good luck.

May 19, 2016
Bearing is replaced by professional. He did not indicate what he thought went wrong, but he had to install set screws as he thinks my actions stretched the strut diameter. He did not say that it was “bent” or needed any additional work. I dropped the prop off so he could install that when he was done. I will ask what could have caused the issue when I pick it up. Anyone want to buy a SrutPro? Only used once! :)