ISO Catalina trailer options

Noah b

Jan 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Port canaveral
I am located in brevard county Florida and just acquired a Catalina 22! Besides obvious excitement it does need some work and I'd love to work on it out of the water and keep it in dry storage. I'm looking for a trailer that will work with my 88 swing keel. If anyone has any connections or advice please let me know. My email is noah1556@gmail.com or you can get me here.

Nov 19, 2008
Catalina C-22 MK-II Parrish, FL
Check the National C-22 web site want ad section. There has been a galvanized C-22 swing keel trailer on there for sale. Yes, a bit of a drive, but probably well worth the effort.

Don

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I am located in brevard county Florida and just acquired a Catalina 22! Besides obvious excitement it does need some work and I'd love to work on it out of the water and keep it in dry storage. I'm looking for a trailer that will work with my 88 swing keel. If anyone has any connections or advice please let me know. My email is noah1556@gmail.com or you can get me here.
Here's a good one near you for $850 OBO. It's set up for a fin keel, so you'd need to lower the bunk heights, but otherwise it looks like a great trailer at a great price. I own one identical to it, so I could provide you with whatever measurements you'd need for the bunks. This is the trailer Catalina Yachts sells with their current production C22's.

http://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bpo/5412813343.html

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2013
Oops, I meant fin keel, not wing. My previous post has now been corrected.

Sep 30, 2013
By the way, adjusting the bunks on that trailer is a SNAP. Just loosen the two stainless bolts and slide the support up or down.

Nov 19, 2008
Gene, I think you were right the first time, that boat looks like a wing keeled new design. Hey, you going to make the March C-22 cruise in Tampa?

(that's a nice trailer for that price!)

Don

Sep 30, 2013
Okay dang it, yep, it IS a wing keel! No matter, the trailer could be set up for a swing keel in fifteen minutes either way. It does look like a steal, the OP had better move fast. I just paid $3500-ish for the exact same trailer less than a year ago. And I easily sold my piece of sh*t rustbucket old painted trailer for a thousand dollars, BTW.

We can't make the March cruise, sadly; Carlotta's spring break vacation starts the day after the cruise ends. Looks like a great route though! Depending on weather, we might take the exact same cruise by ourselves March 20-26, or else head up to the panhandle, to Carrabelle or Panama City.

Nov 19, 2008
Okay dang it, yep, it IS a wing keel! No matter, the trailer could be set up for a swing keel in fifteen minutes either way. It does look like a steal, the OP had better move fast. I just paid $3500-ish for the exact same trailer less than a year ago. And I easily sold my piece of sh*t rustbucket old painted trailer for a thousand dollars, BTW.

We can't make the March cruise, sadly; Carlotta's spring break vacation starts the day after the cruise ends. Looks like a great route though! Depending on weather, we might take the exact same cruise by ourselves March 20-26, or else head up to the panhandle, to Carrabelle or Panama City.
If you guys come down to Tampa the week after, let us know, we haven't had the boat out since last May, with vacations, house staging, motor theft, and moving, it's been WAY to long since we've been out! By the way, I'm about ready to pull the trigger on a new Tohatsu Sail-Pro, again.....

Don

May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Don: I've been loving our Tohatsu since getting it last fall - so much nicer than my old Honda 5-hp. Quieter, easier to start, more thrust, lighter, and seems to be just as fuel efficient - I motor at half throttle and am nearly at hull speed - versus full throttle or so with the old Honda. I say go for it! If there is a better motor than the Tohatsu, I've not heard of it.

My Honda tried to kill me last summer on San Diego Bay. My daughter and I were just finishing a great day of sailing. We had just dropped our sails, and were slowly motoring along - stowing gear, putting out our fenders, and putting on sail covers - preparing to make the turn into Sweetwater Creek and back to Pier 32. One of those gigantic Walenius Wilhelmson car carriers just finished offloading cars by Pepper Park, and entered the channel under tow by two tugs. We were on the edge of the shipping channel but needed to give the ship more room to maneuver. Just then, the Honda randomly died and would not restart. We raised our jib and sailed clear in plenty of time, but definitely another "Honda" moment for me. A short while later, after the car carrier and tugs had passed, the Honda started right up and we motored into our slip without further incident. I've maintained that motor well, tried to love it for years, but it's too often given me issues.

I know that Gene has not been happy with his Tohatsu; but, I talked with a lot of people before buying mine, and everyone I spoke to really liked theirs.

- Bob

Sep 30, 2013
Bob, I must confess at least some of the problems I've had with my Tohatsu appear to have been of my own making. (Silly me, I greased the grease fittings. Don't ever do that!!:badbad:). I'm not happy with the lack of a reliable steering lock, but other than that, it has been a great motor. At least it starts reliably and doesn't mysteriously quit when a freighter is bearing down on you!! :yikes:

BUT, if you ever suddenly find yourself motoring straight into 30 knot winds and big, scary waves, you'd BETTER have a bungee system in place to hold that motor straight. Because the steering friction screw will not do it, nor was it designed to. I find this flaw unforgivable on a motor called the "SAILPRO", given the potential for tragic consequences when used on a SAILBOAT. So ... I guess it's the name of the motor I have a problem with, not the motor itself. ;)

Here's how I deal with the problem now: