Is There Such a Thing as 1:1 "Scope?"

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Re veering, the OED again has an answer. If you veiw the entries you get the complete history of usage.

[re. cable, I don't think whether the engine is used or not is part of the usage]
[ re. veering wind, a further detail in usage can be defining veering as a clockwise rotation and backing as a counter clockwise rotation, but it is not always used so strictly and the context usually makes the intent obvious (oh yeah--KG just said that)]

1721054971219.png

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
San Juan Charter company in Bellingham recommends (requires?) at least 4:1 scope for charters on its vessels. I’m usually on 3:1 scope for chain on my boat; but sometimes less.

Last edited:

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I'm sorry. I guess the firewall got it.

The nice thing about the on-line version (free through your public library) is that it contains ALL of the back up. A unabridged version of the OED is not a book, it is a volume that fills a room. Go to your library's page and look for it among the on-line resources. Or ask a librarian.
Yes indeed, I'm quite familiar with the huge OED. I have the unabridged version that is miniaturized. It is still two very large volumes, and requires a magnifying glass to read it. Back in my younger years, i could read it without the magnifying glass, but that is a different story ..

I tried to buy the full version a number of years ago, but the price was out of range. And indeed, the non-miniaturized edition is a whole wall...

But the local Public library suggestion is the best! When I'm back home from working on my boat down here on the Chesapeake - I'll go check it out at my library.

Many thanks!

dj

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
That is an oversimplified model of how a rode or chain falls. It actually falls as a cateenary, and therefore is never straight, except, I suppose, when there's infinite force and infinite holding power. Which is all the better for us, as it means the part attached to the anchor is more horizontal than it would be otherwise.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Re veering, the OED again has an answer. If you veiw the entries you get the complete history of usage.

[re. cable, I don't think whether the engine is used or not is part of the usage]
[ re. veering wind, a further detail in usage can be defining veering as a clockwise rotation and backing as a counter clockwise rotation, but it is not always used so strictly and the context usually makes the intent obvious (oh yeah--KG just said that)]

View attachment 226074
Now I’m wondering whether “veering” definition includes paying out rode using the windlass down button, rather than dropping only under the chain and anchor’s weight. I have had some recent discussion comparing the two. Veering is fast; down button is slow. Sometimes really slow.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Thanks, but can you net it out for me? Not in the mood to watch a 21 minute, over-produced anchor video. :)
The basic conclusion is that cantenary is real for all chain but is limited when you need it most because in the upper wind ranges, the cantenary is very small. It also provides limited shock absorption but not nearly enough to handle surge.
The conclusions start at 15:25.