Is anyone going for one last cruise of the season

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Down here in So. Cal. it’s not so cold. I wouldn’t say the last cruise of the “season” if one means the sailing season, b/c that season never actually ends here. We’ve done a Thanksgiving weekend cruise for many years, including during the 11 years spent in FL. So, next week it will be the short hop to Newport Beach, about 16 n. mi. to the sea buoy. Lay at anchor for three nights in the Lido Key anchorage. It’s nice.:)
Had a side of delicious crow with Thanksgiving dinner sitting here in Long Beach :redface:Rained rather heavily Wednesday & Thursday; dropped into the 40’s overnight TGD. Seas 5 to 6 ft. We punted.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Had a side of delicious crow with Thanksgiving dinner sitting here in Long Beach :redface:Rained rather heavily Wednesday & Thursday; dropped into the 40’s overnight TGD. Seas 5 to 6 ft. We punted.
A little cooler here, makes you glad of the furnace. Clear skies and calm anchorage however.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
No Boating this weekend. Engine down for Maintenance. Chandler does not send all parts ordered.

Perhaps I can get the maintenance completed in Dec and be ready for a January 2020 weekend cruise.

Oct 22, 2014
Nothing unusual. It had been a couple of years since I had cleaned the HE. I tried remove the zinc and the nut was frozen. I had some hoses that were too old to feel safe about them, so dumped the coolant, removed the HE, and the various hoses. While at it I am going to clean up the water heater hoses as well. They came with an extension in to the cabin to run a heater, but no heater installed. I am going to remove the unused line and fittings. Limit possible leaks before they do.
IMG_0084.jpeg
The Perkins uses a wee bit of oil, but she purrs like a kitten. Was not over heating and moves the boat at about 6.8 to 6.9 knots at 85% WOT. Figured preventive maintenance is better than break down maintenance.

Jan 8, 2020
brentswain 31 31 twin keeler Heriot Bay BC
I don't stop cruising, just becasue it's winter. Good wheelhouse, wood stove and good insulation, makes the season irrelevant.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Mid winter break (2/15-23) approaching and hope to spend some time on the water. Counting on the weather honcho to order up some reeeeeeasonable conditions, unlike last year. :thumbup:

Oct 22, 2014
I’ll be looking at the weather forecasts tomorrow. Early info is looking cold. The concern is that the Pauxitani Phil rodent says only 4 more weeks of winter. But those weeks promise to remind us that winter means cold, wet, snow, slush.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Sunrise here. I was out on the bow watching some porpoises in my shorts, how they got into my shorts I’ll never know!

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
The report from Florida is that while doing some RC work Sunday I was sorry I didn't bring some gloves - in Florida! Today is starting at a poultry 54 degrees but this time no 15 kt. wind. RC again today and I think the Laser sailors will be paddling around the course! NW 3 kts.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
The report from Florida is that while doing some RC work Sunday I was sorry I didn't bring some gloves - in Florida! Today is starting at a poultry 54 degrees but this time no 15 kt. wind. RC again today and I think the Laser sailors will be paddling around the course! NW 3 kts.
I’ll turn on the fan in Vero.

Oct 22, 2014
With the electrical system down on SV Hadley for a refit I have been a land lubber.

The Pacific NW Has been sharing winter storms. Rain, snow, wind, and chilling mornings when coffee is so good to sip by a window.

What to do but surf the sailing vlogs.

And surprise. Nike of “Untie the Lines” is up cruising in the PacificNW.

Who says we are not a magnet area for sailors?

Oct 22, 2014
Hi Terry.. Hopefully you are home after the bussing of Mukilteo youth to their classrooms and are wondering... Can I dream of Sun and Sail filled days during my winter break...

Well Best I can do with only a 40% possibility is say on the 13th February (2 days before your planning to untie the lines) it could be cold, clear and breezy...

Here is the image of the Pacific based on the European model for the 13th. The colors are for temps. Blue-White-Purple "about 38-10 F" Cold.... The High will be delivering chilly winds NE, out of the Frazer Gap, and across the San Juans. The Water temps are in the high 40's to low 50's. Have plenty of diesel and be sure the Wallas is in working order.

4AADBA2C-2257-47F1-87D1-81EF2B6A405F.jpeg

My Friend Rufus, the Farmer's Weather guy says this about the Pacific NW and Oregon..."the models keep showing a winter event repeating itself mid-Feb., Thu Feb 13 may be the beginning.".

Take heed my fellow sailor. Time to dress for the winter not spring. Bring the sub zero sleeping bag. The one you would take to the woods in winter. Punxsutawney Phil saw his shadow and suggests the promise of an early spring... But there are still 4 more weeks of winter and Mother Nature may think she has been too lenient this year.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Who says we are not a magnet area for sailors?
So much fun to watch others movies of places you've been and will be again this coming summer. Like a guide to the first half of going around Vancouver Island John.