Is anyone going for one last cruise of the season

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Feast or famine. Wind peaked at 4.8 kts dead astern on our way up to Ladysmith today so all motoring. Looks like the feast part comes tonight and tomorrow.
D9F7EC36-3247-4701-9FDC-D6BC25E49979.png

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
“Next few days should be pretty nice. Best sailing days are Friday and maybe Saturday when the winds should provide time to stretch the sails and dip the lee rail. “
I think I shared that as a possible event. Sounds like it will be fresh up in the Georgia Strait. Enjoy. Let us know how it goes. @Hello Below

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
Best of luck Russ. You have a moment advantage.
It was a frigen AWESOME day! couldn't be happier with the new boat. this thing (Merit 22) is SO light on it's feet it seems to defy physics. I could barely feel or see wind on the water, and the telltales were hardly twitching, yet we were slipping along at 2 knots. During times of 0 wind, wile we were motoring, I would shut the motor down and be amazed at how far we would continue to coast. very slippery. also tacks like a dream. love it
!IMG_20191024_113040198_HDR.jpg

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
I'm happy even when doing 1.5 knots over ground. No hurry here. Did that a few weeks ago heading east through Harney channel from Blind Bay. Took forever to get over to the East Sound wind funnel, but once there, Belle-Vie really took off, like a sling shot racer, eh?

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Let us know how it goes. @Hello Below
We seem to be in the midst of it now with sustained wind of just over 20kt with gusts to 28 here just south of Nanaimo. The strait looks a little uglier. Supposed to die down a bit near midnight. Beautiful and sunny though.

558E6784-E630-4382-B32E-019D151EBEA3.jpeg
F56D0131-395B-4F27-8DF0-0838DC3A1698.png

Jul 25, 2018
O'day 19 MK-II Weekender Narragansett Bay
I am hoping to take one more dip in Narragansett Bay next week but the forecast is not looking so good.
Wednesday is a possibility but the winds look to be light.

Attachments

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Yep, have the crew all lined up for tomorrow, unfortunately its to put the cover over her, ah the season seems so short.

Oct 22, 2014
@Hello Below
You should have a pleasant day today. Breezy 10-11 gusts to 20kn. Sweater weather but sunny. Tomorrow look for the wind to drop 3-5kn and the temps in the 10C nice crisp October sunny day. about 4C on Sunday nite Monday AM. Fog possible in the AM as air temps are near Dew point and the water temps.

Tuesday early morning hours look for the wind to pick up gusts to the 30's as the High moves on to the coast north of you and draws a breeze down the Fraser valley.

Last edited:
May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
Nothing like a personalized weather forecast to squeeze the last few days out of the sailing season. Thanks very much John.

Oct 22, 2014
Enjoy... We will be punished all in due time as winter sets into the PacNW. But that is the prices we pay. I enjoy the burden. Hope the forecast plays out in your favor. Remember it is a SWAG and Mother Nature has her ways of screwing with us mere humans.

Enjoy these few days. Wish I was up there with you guys. Still think about the glorious cruise I took with @Stu Jackson in October 2017 through the Gulf Islands. Only boats about were the BC Ferries. They were tracking him down.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Wish I was up there with you guys. Still think about the glorious cruise I took with @Stu Jackson in October 2017 through the Gulf Islands. Only boats about were the BC Ferries. They were tracking him down.
They still are! :)

That was the very last week in October and was truly glorious, 70F temps.

It's only 55F today and blowing hard from the N. I've got inside things (HX zinc, some hose clamps, transmission fluid change) to do today after I freeze my buns off repairing the female hose connector to the dock hose bib that one of my less kindly neighbors managed to break and just leave broken. I'll warm up the water heater before I go out so I can mend the frostbite when I come back in!

Oct 22, 2014
@Tally Ho there is a “happy “ (avatar image) Sad ( winter ready image ) expressionist feeling to your post.

‘Tucked away for winter’

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
one of my less kindly neighbors
Speaking of thoughtful slip neighbors, drove to the boat Friday night for some puttering. Many of the dock lights were out, so a very dark surface to walk on. Another boater decided to run his water hose and filter across the dock surface without any kind of alert/warning. I'm carrying stuff when my foot catches the hose and throws me off balance. My body is heading for the drink when, just by chance, the marina installed life ring stanchion catches my fall. That was close.

That skipper comes out on the dock to find out what all the commotion is about. After he sees what he has caused, he apologizes profusely, gathers his hose up and goes back into his (not sail) boat muttering to himself. Got me to wondering had I gone into the water how difficult it would have been to get out and back onto the dock. Not an easy task. Just that side has life ladders. Had I gone in on the other side meant having to swim under the dock in order to reach the ladder.

Tried to reach out to John Lund's family for a visit Saturday, but no reply to my message. Perhaps another day. Spent most of yesterday visiting with Colin Banks on his boat in Anchor Cove. Had a delicious lunch at Mama Wing's Cafe, a few doors from the Brown Lantern. Very small hole in the wall asian diner where a very friendly Mama the cook and Wing the server treat their customers to large portion and tasteful asian dishes.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I got down to the boat Friday for a handful of hours. Reinstalled the windless and some other stuff. Not going to make it for this weather window. I have some testing coming up next week then after I think we are going to do a weekend trip regardless of weather. I need a break. I did though take a little shop time and did some adhesive work on my dink today. I had to glue the bottom back onto the side tube. Got to keep the old girl going!

Oct 22, 2014
I want to remind our friends who are attempting their last cruise of the season... The next couple of evenings will test your down comforter. Look for temps to drop tomorrow into low 40's and possibly get into the mid 30's early Wednesday morning hours.

For folks along the Rockies follow the local weather reports. There will be an Arctic blast heading down the Rockies and into the central part of the country. Forecast for Temps Wednesday morning to be sub zero in Northern Colorado.
Cold Wed 30 Oct.JPG
This is Mother Nature testing your preparedness for the coming winter.

Note that these cold temps will be associated with some strong winds.

Might want to turn a boat heater on just to take the chill off. It will be a great time to remember that "Hot Toddy and Hot Buttered Rum" recipes. Hot chocolate and marshmallows for the little gremlins and ghoulies.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Got my boat out of the water and covered just in time...
427B8B26-7D3B-4052-AA48-80951EDCE82D.jpeg

Snowed today...

3B26CDD0-DAF1-4E7B-8B6C-0A8E9FF575A7.jpeg

Damn...gonna be a long winter:(

Greg