Intermittent start issue

NM

Mar 14, 2009
O’Day 34 6225 Milwaukee, WI
OK, so we’re the proud new owners of an O’Day 34’ with Universal 25, which may or may not start, towed in yesterday than an hour later started just fine. Tried test push of start button, nothing happens. Starter rebuilt last year. Any trouble shooting suggestions?

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Any trouble shooting suggestions?
Ugh, intermittant issue. Toughie.
Check all grounding connections and the start button itself. You'll need wiring schematics.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
The fuse down by the starter is problematic. Check your cables and connections on the heavy battery cables. To help sort it out, next time it fails to turn over jumper the big lug on the starter to the push terminal also on the starter, if it crank, it wiring from the panel to the starter, if not it’s battery cables/switches.

Les

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
jvss may not like this, b ut I posted this just the other day: anything intermittent is usually a poor connection. For starters (pi!) check the ground leg first then go from there. Les is right about the fuse.

Try these:

Hard starting:

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.msg32211.html#msg32211

That comes from these posts:

Critical Upgrades http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5078.0.html

and

Engines 101 - The BIGGEST & BEST collection of M25 Series Universal Engine Information on the Internet, plus some M35, too :)

http://www.c34.org/wiki/index.php?title=Diesel_Engine

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
You can buy cheap push button starter switches that you hook up to the starter lugs mentioned above. This will allow you to be away from it when jumping the lugs and doesn't spark.

Jul 5, 2011
Oday 28 Madison, CT
When the engine won't start, do you hear the fuel pump running? I had a bad ground wire to my fuel pump and once fixed, all good.

Aug 7, 2018
Catalina 350 Great Sodus Bay, Lake Ontario
MN: When you say "it won't start" do you hear the "click" but no starter motor engaging? Or does the starter motor turn over the engine but no "fire"? I own a 34 that had a starting problem. It was the glow plug switch AND a bad ground. The #10 wire was replaced before we bought the boat.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
@daviddp if you haven’t done the GP relay mod you should - check out required mods on the C34.org or Catalina36.com site —- assuming you have an M25 or other model before glow plugs relays were installed stock — then you only need 14ga between the switch/button and GP relay.

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I would start at the engine panel an make sure you are getting power in and out of the push button, and all downstream connections, and do the same for the ground. I once replace the key and push start button on an m25. Even with new switches a loose connection and cause problems.

Apex

Jun 19, 2013
C&C 30 Elk Rapids
same problem 3yrs ago. ground wire at the engine was the issue. it felt tight at first wiggle, but loosen, clean and retighten did the trick. never a problem since.

Jan 28, 2017
Catalina 30 Mk II Yorktown, VA
I had a similar situation and replaced most components of the starting circuit including the starter. I found later that the new starter had a faulty solenoid .appar apparently the quality of aftermarket starters leave something to be desired .

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
If you press the starter button and nothing, no click, no cranking, check the harness wiring and connectors to the engine. Some guys add an auxiliary solenoid with its own wiring.

NM

Mar 14, 2009
OK, so as typical in my life when something is wrong I usually have a screw loose. So I went below and on the new terminal block installed by previous owner and beautifully labeled, I loosened and retightened each terminal screw. When I got to starter switch, top screw was tight (required torque to loosen, but lower screw had no resistance to loosen. Retorqed, and for good measure, did the same all the way to starter including grounds. One ground nut would not take socket, so I’ll take wrench set next time. In any case it starts!! Every time - knock on wood!! So thanks for all the input!

NM

Mar 14, 2009
Post note, Saturday she went on the rocks, damaged rudder, but otherwise superficial fiberglass damage. Turns out clevis pin on mooring ball chain dropped out! Now added to check list - double check tackle safety’s..

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Post note, Saturday she went on the rocks, damaged rudder, but otherwise superficial fiberglass damage. Turns out clevis pin on mooring ball chain dropped out! Now added to check list - double check tackle safety’s..
Really sorry to hear about your damage and that you can get back out on the water.

I assume you have a mooring behind the breakwall in Milwaukee?

I took possession of my first boat from the marina there. Never sailed more than 3 days in my life, had not seen the boat with th mast up (Hunter 280), and had my 2 boys with. Had no clue what a strong easterly wind meant on the Milwaukee side of the lake. Broker who sold me the boat kept asking where I was going to stop for the night (I was taking the boat to Indiana). Asked me to text him when we got in someplace safe....I had no idea why he was asking.

As we motored away from the dock, I kept asking myself why all the concern...and then we got out past the wall...we were all sick within 15 minutes...the waves were 6-8 feet, no way we were going to try to put the sail up in 25-30 knot winds....

The little Yanmar purred constantly and saved us from a disaster, and we made it to Winthrop Harbor for the night. Very thankful to be on solid ground after that day. Next day, winds shifted from the west, and we made it all the way to East Chicago marina.

Anyway, Lake Michigan can be a bear. Hope you get her fixed up and back on the water.

Greg

NM

Mar 14, 2009
Thanks Greg,
Sounds like you’ll not repeat a trip like that again! Yes we’re behind the breakwall and have been caught by a squall line a couple of times within the 3 mile Milwaukee harbor, but didn’t have the waves to deal with - just 20 - 30 kts of wind.
We’re hoping to get the boat back by 3rd week in August (ouch!) (rudder lead time) otherwise superficial damage elsewhere.
Nick