interior wood treatment

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Hey All

I love the look and feel of the wood inside the 40.5. It was become quite weathered unfortunately and I'd like to restore it to its former glory. I've tried to apply teak oil in the past, but with mixed results. Would any have recommendations? I would also like to restore the floor boards at some point.

Many thanks!
Frederick
http://svpardonmyfrench.com

Apr 12, 2007
Hunter 420 Herrington Harbor South
Check out your owners manual there is a section on both floor and woodwork care and refinishing. If you don't have one the hunter owner website will have it in boat specific downloads.
good luck

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Check out your owners manual there is a section on both floor and woodwork care and refinishing. If you don't have one the hunter owner website will have it in boat specific downloads.
good luck
Thank you DRhoads - I did look in the owners manual and can't find that section; at least on the version that I downloaded from this site... any other pointers? thanks!

Sep 26, 2008
Hunter 340 0 Wickford, RI
Frederick,
The teak oil will try to give back the teak wood color more than condition the wood.
I use Old English Oil on all my interior woods. It penetrates into the wood, conditions and restores the dried out wood.
I have used it since I bought my boat new (2000 340). I apply it three times a year, once after sitting all winter, during the sailing season ( on one of those days when it's cool and we're just sitting around) and late in the season just before taking it out off the water. I just pour it on a rag and wipe down all the wood. It's got a nice smell and is good for wood as it has no alcohol in it. The wood looks like the day I was installed, as it's maintaining the original oils in the wood.

I use it on all my woods, gunstocks, grips (they take a beating), I've have antique 52 MGTD with a walnut dash and use it on that also. No cracks in the wood, no bleached out spots from the sun.
Avoid the alcohol based products, even with low content, that just draws out the finish and dries out the wood.
Try it, I think you'll like the results.

Attachments

splax

Nov 12, 2012
Hunter 34 Portsmouth
I prefer a two stage treatment, first scrubbing with Murphy's Oil Soap then wiping with teak oil days later. Removes dirt that the oil had captured in the wood and allows the wood to be ready to accept the oil treatment.

HMT2

Mar 20, 2014
Hunter 31 828 Shoreacres, TX
I have used lemon oil regularly, and I have used Formsby High gloss Tung Oil to bring back badly faded teak. I’m very pleased with the results. (Only on non varnished surfaces of course.) The wood on my ‘83 Hunter 31 was done originally in Daly’s Sea Fin Teak Oil.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Thanks all for the suggestions. I went with boiled Linseed Oil 50% diluted with pain thinner as suggested by Mike Honcho and after doing a bit of research online. I am done with the cleaning and first coat, and pretty happy with the preliminary results so far - almost looks new... will try to send pics when I am done. (PS: paying attention to proper rag disposal)

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
All above is fine for everything but the sole. Floorboards must be refinished with some type hard drying finish, varnish, poly, etc.

Nov 1, 2007
-Hunter -430 Shediac, N.B.
Hi Frederick what hunter was using on 40.5 and 430 was Dalys product. I had a 40.5 before the 430 it has the same interior.
I redid the wood inside the 430 a few year ago it came out great. If you are interest I will try to find the file it was posted on this forum.
Jean Guy

Attachments

nfg2u

Feb 13, 2016
Hunter Legend 35.5 Fort Pierce
I prefer a two stage treatment, first scrubbing with Murphy's Oil Soap then wiping with teak oil days later. Removes dirt that the oil had captured in the wood and allows the wood to be ready to accept the oil treatment.
I use Murphy’s Oil Soap as well with hot water and a blue 3m Scurbing pad that won’t scratch the teak vanear. Then two coats of Teak Oil. Removed years of oil and dirt. Interior looks great.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
Hi Frederick what hunter was using on 40.5 and 430 was Dalys product. I had a 40.5 before the 430 it has the same interior.
I redid the wood inside the 430 a few year ago it came out great. If you are interest I will try to find the file it was posted on this forum.
Jean Guy
Thank you Jean Guy - I am think I am ok for now! Like the results I got :)

Apr 8, 2010
Ericson Yachts Olson 34 28400 Portland OR
We cleaned off decades of old oil and dirt with Te-Ka cleaner/bleach. Then sanded with 200. Then lay on coats of thinned "Captains" label varnish. Five coats will yield a lifetime finish (on the inside of the boat). Sand between varnish coats with 300 or 400. Foam brush.
The natural golden color of the teak is sooooo wonderful.
Of course... this is subjective..... so all answers are equally correct for each owner! :)