Installing a Scoop Strainer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Catalina 1980 C27 Meinke Marina on Lake Erie
I'm installing a scoop strainer on my 1980 C27. On the inside I will install a flanged seacock. Room is tight and I have a limited range in terms of the seacock orientation. As far as the scoop strainer there is a second option. I can install a normal mushroom through hull fitting and then a strainer plate over the through hull mushroom fitting. This can be done instead of the normal scoop strainer that has the through hull built into it.

Has anyone done the second option I mention above?

Dec 30, 2009
jeanneau 38 gin fizz sloop Summer- Keyport Yacht Club, Raritan Bay, NJ, Winter Viking Marina Verplanck, NY
I have a 3/4" intake for my raw water, and have had a round strainer on for years, it always gets covered with barnacles and growth. I don,t know if u have these issues with fresh water.I think it was mainesail who got me thinking we should not cover the intake. those tiny holes foul quick. Also if something is stuck u can pull the hose off the strainer and use a dowel or something to clear the opening, I think I am going naked this season....Red

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
The scoop strainer I'm talking about is here.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...st+Popular|0&keyword=scoop+strainer&searchBtn=
It's a slotted strainer not the type I think you are talking about which I think has a bunch of pinholes in it? No we don't have barnacles in fresh water but we do have zebra muscles but I don't think they are too bad.
This is the other type of strainer that has the through hull threaded tube attached. The problem using this one is that I can't control the orientation of the seacock.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...lar|0&keyword=through+hull+fittings&searchBtn=

jrowan

Mar 5, 2011
O'Day 35 Severn River, Mobjack Bay, Va.
I also have the scoop type slotted strainer that's in your pics that been on all my boats. They work fine. Just don't glob them up with bottom paint when doing a bottom job. One of my boats actually had a live oyster glued to one side of the intake scoop on a neglected S 2 that I bought, and the Yanmar still got enough water to it. I think that oyster actually filtered the water before it went into the engine! LOL.

Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
I remember someone doing an article, I think it was on Mainesails web site. It showed how a strainer became rapidly clogged with debri and marine critters and caused restricted water flow to an engine. The solution was a strainer style thru hull that had a flip open strainer assembly that could be swing open for better application of bottom paint and for easy cleaning.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
The scoop strainer I'm talking about is here.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wc...st+Popular|0&keyword=scoop+strainer&searchBtn=
It's a slotted strainer not the type I think you are talking about which I think has a bunch of pinholes in it? No we don't have barnacles in fresh water but we do have zebra muscles but I don't think they are too bad.
Directional or scoop strainers are best for power boats. Installed incorrectly on a sailboat, facing forward, they can hydrolock a genset or aux engine. If installed backwards they can cause cavitation and added vacuum on the water pump and you can speed impeller wear.

Sailboats should have a round non-directional type strainer. The best one I know of is made by Groco and it opens and is hinged. That said I much prefer an internal sea strainer and the ability to clean out the intake from inside the vessel.

This is one of the few external strainers I like..

Any why external strainers can be a PITA...

Dec 16, 2006
Hunter 25.5 Cayuga Lake, NY
OMG I remembered it right! And they say the mind is the first thing to go lol. Nasty looking engine killers in those pics from MS. Personally I would reconsider this "upgrade" but it's your boat and $$.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
OMG I remembered it right! And they say the mind is the first thing to go lol. Nasty looking engine killers in those pics from MS. Personally I would reconsider this "upgrade" but it's your boat and $$.
It's not an upgrade. I'm just replacing what was on the boat to begin with as fa as the strainer is concerned. What I'm upgrading is the seacock.

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
Maine Sail said: "Sailboats should have a round non-directional type strainer".

So based on your comment I would be OK (i.e., the engine would be getting the proper amount of water flow) putting in a mushroom through hull fitting and covering that with the slotted plate I referenced first in my post above. That would give me the non-directional effect.

Feb 6, 1998
Maine Sail said: "Sailboats should have a round non-directional type strainer".

So based on your comment I would be OK (i.e., the engine would be getting the proper amount of water flow) putting in a mushroom through hull fitting and covering that with the slotted plate I referenced first in my post above. That would give me the non-directional effect.
No you may not be. The one you linked to is a "scoop" and is a directional strainer. Under sail they can "scoop" water if installed with the slots facing forward and if you sail fast enough can push water up over the engines siphon break and fill the engine with water.

The round style with the holes are specifically designed for sailboats..

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
MS

I could cut the slots a little further so as to eliminate the scoop effect. In other words make it into a louver over the mushroom through hull.

Feb 6, 1998
MS

I could cut the slots a little further so as to eliminate the scoop effect. In other words make it into a louver over the mushroom through hull.

Slotted strainers suck up more grass etc. than do round hole strainers..

Do you already have an internal basket style strainer? Why not just order a sailboat strainer from Sailboatowners.com? Round Hinged Strainer or Round Non-Hinged Strainer

You help support this site and get the right strainer for a sailboat..

Keep in mind that any external strainer can prevent you from clearing the thru-hull in the event of a muscle family, eel grass etc. taking up residence and it then often requires a haul out.. With an internal "basket strainer" strainer you can ream the hose with a dowel and never have to get wet. Probably less of a concern on a lake but I understand zebra muscles will live anywhere.....

Ajay73

Jun 11, 2011
I looked at sailboats in my boatyard and invariably the scoop type strainer was used. That being said I ordered the round non-hinge strainer. Internal basket strainer will be a project for next year. Too many this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.