I'm Throwing in the Towel .........................

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
.......................... because it's soaking wet from another leak on my Jabsco head. Up until now, I've put up with the leaks from every possible gasket, seal, and whatsit you can imagine. Usually, not too much trouble to repair and although a new pump repair kit is almost the same price as the complete head, it's still easier than installing a new, superior brand of head. And the Jabsco is a nice tidy fit. But no more :banghead:. The last unpleaesant surprise was a tiny little spray on my hand as I pumped it out. Huh ? Say what ? Finally traced it down to a microscopic leak from the piston rod seal. Everything had been slathered in Superlube at the beginning of the season and now this had given up. Aw crap (literally)

So the new replacement will be a Raritan PH Superflush Manual Marine Toilet P101.

P101.JPG

Same base bolts location as the old "Jabsco POC" (piece of crap). So far so good.

Now the hurdle. The old Jabsco is positioned quite near the rear wall as shown:

100_3859.jpg

and has a 45 deg discharge elbow which feeds the hose through a factory cut hole made back in 1999. All very neat and tidy.

The Jabsco manual shows the 45 deg discharge elbow as:

Head 1.JPG

And now, the problem with the Raritan P101. Their discharge elbow comes as either a 90 deg. elbow (41) or a straight discharge (42) as shown:

Head 2.JPG

Either of these two Raritan fittings are not going to allow for an easy installation of the discharge hose behind the new head. At this point, the only solution would be to bore a new hole for the discharge hose and leave a big old ugly hole behind.

My question is, "has anyone swapped out a Raritan head for a Jabsco head and were you able to swap the 45 deg Jabsco discharge elbow for the Raritan discharge elbow "ie. are they interchangeable ? Much of the Raritan appears to be a copy of the Jabsco so just maybe there's a one in a million chance of this working.

You know that any and all replies:cool:, snide remarks:biggrin:, disgusting jokes:ass:, and guffaws:p, will be appreciated:clap:. Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
First, I think you are doing the right thing by ditching the Jabsco, despite the short-term pain. You'll be glad you did.

But if the worst thing is that you'd have to bore a new hole, can't you come up with something to cover over the existing hole that isn't too cosmetically offensive? I agree that you probably don't want to just leave a hole there, but why would it be so bad to just cover it with some kind of plastic cover? And it is, after all, in a fairly inconspicuous spot to begin with.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
You are installing the head with the pump on the left side (as you look from the "front" of the head)?

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Don't know if those parts are interchangeable or not. Looks like there may be enough room to come straight out (short piece of hose) into a 45 degree elbow and go from there. Extra place to clog I guess. I don't like drilling holes in my boat either.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You are installing the head with the pump on the left side (as you look from the "front" of the head)?
Pump can go on either side. To put it on the left, you just have to rotate the base 180....BEFORE you put the bowl or the pump on it! :)

Same size fittings are pretty much interchangeable, so you should be able to re-use the 45 from your Jabsco. However, it looks like you've omitted something important when you installed the Jabsco that should also be installed with the Raritan: a vented loop in the intake...see Figure 5 on page 5 in the owners manual Raritan SuperFlush Owners Manual for the correct location, which is between the pump and the bowl. And if you'll be flushing directly overboard, you'll also need one in the discharge line...which MAY solve your fitting problem, 'cuz you'd aim the 90 straight up...use the 45 to go through the wall.

--Peggie

Jan 4, 2006
But if the worst thing is that you'd have to bore a new hole, can't you come up with something to cover over the existing hole that isn't too cosmetically offensive?
Too, too painful if one is OCD like myself. Actually, we like to be called CDO just to keep it alphabetical.

Time for a bigger boat. :beer:
I can hardly afford the new Raritan let alone a bigger boat. With my luck, the bigger boat would have a Jabsco and I'd be right back where I started from.

Yes. The relocation from a RH pump assembly to a LH assembly is fairly simple (so they say:yikes:). The exploded diagram seems to confirm that.

Looks like there may be enough room to come straight out (short piece of hose) into a 45 degree elbow and go from there. Extra place to clog I guess. I don't like drilling holes in my boat either.
Mike, you have covered every fear that I have if I cannot swap outlet fittings. With the extra clog point, everyone on board will be limited to a diet of prunes and extra hot chili tacos. No white bread, cheeses, or deep fried foods. And definitely no 2-ply toilet tissue either.

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
The Raritan is not a direct replacement for the Jabsco as you are finding out. If you check out the dimensions of the discharge location you will see that it won't work in some installations. Check out some of the previous threads about this issue. Here is just one of them.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
A worthy project, Ralph. Second most important boat system, after the anchoring system. Fortunately, our two 1991 Jabsco electric heads still work, albeit a bit noisy. Most recent project here was replacing the aft head discharge hose that was clogged with mineral deposits. Everything back in working order.

Jan 4, 2006
Same size fittings are pretty much interchangeable, so you should be able to re-use the 45 from your Jabsco.
Peggie, you have answered my prayers. I would like to repay you by giving you my first born. He gets out on parole next week and I can have him on a bus and down to you just as soon as I get your home address.

However, it looks like you've omitted something important when you installed the Jabsco that should also be installed with the Raritan: a vented loop in the intake
That is an original Hunter Marine installation from 1999 when the boat was built and I bought. The atmospheric vent in the supply loop is located about 36" above the bowl and behind the wall. Perfect location so you can't run the air inlet of the vent to a safe location. If the little check valve decides to fail, it's going to get wet in there.

But looking at the location of the atmospheric vent:

100_3859.jpg

DSC_2057.jpg

it's in the supply line between the pump and the bowl. Correct me if I'm wrong, but it would seem that when a siphon effect was created from water dropping down into the bowl (and the bowl being below the water line) the top of the loop would be below atmospheric pressure causing the little check valve to open, allowing air to enter the tube and all water would quickly fall from the tube into the bowl. End of siphon.

No problem with the discharge tube as it goes to a holding tank.

Jan 4, 2006
The Raritan is not a direct replacement for the Jabsco as you are finding out.
Yes, given the increased diameter of the pump body, that may cramp my style behind there. I'm still putting my money on being able to swap out the 45 deg. Jabsco discharge elbow on to the Raritan body. If that doesn't work, I'll mount the head on the outside deck where I'll be sure to have enough room to run the hoses. Anybody on board who doesn't like it can wait for darkness. Anyone who's offended by what they see doesn't have to look.

41 years a papermaker. No wet strength resins added to T.P. 2-ply shouldn't matter.
Interesting, but my crew just sees 2-ply as an excuse to use twice as much.

Did you consider a composter?
Just don't see myself as a composter. Too much of a city slicker, I guess.

Jan 4, 2006
Should be 1/2 as much, no?
Not really. They'll still use the same length of 2-ply as they would single ply. This is where the total mass (or mess) of toilet paper would then be double compared to single ply. I know, good help is hard to find these days.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
total mass (or mess) of toilet paper would then be double compared to single ply.
I've been retired for 14 years now but back in the day.... 2-ply was 2X 9.2 lb. ream weight and 1-ply was 14.7 lb. ream weight .Not a lot of difference and the 2-ply feels nicer.

Tim22

Jun 16, 2014
Hunter 310 Ottawa
Hi Ralph
For once I am ahead and “a head” of you! I swapped out the old Jabsco for a Raritan Sea Era electric. As I recall this had the same 90 degree elbow as your new toilet and I ended up having to re route the discharge hose. I will be out at the boat today so will take some photos. I liked the electric because it is a macerator which I think is easier on the holding tank and easier on my marriage. Not necessarily in that order!

Tim