I'm Throwing in the Towel .........................

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
I've been retired for 14 years now but back in the day.... 2-ply was 2X 9.2 lb. ream weight and 1-ply was 14.7 lb. ream weight .Not a lot of difference and the 2-ply feels nicer.
It's not the weight of toilet paper that makes it suitable for use in most marine toilets or not ..."premium" TPs have added fibers for strength and creams for softness that prevent it from dissolving quickly and make it harder for macerator blades in most electric toilets to "chew up," resulting in clogs.

To find out whether a TP is suitable for use aboard, tear off a couple of sheets and put 'em in a mason jar or a glass of water. Come back in a hour and shake the jar or stir the water in the glass. If the water is milky and all you see is "snow," it's ok for use in any marine toilet...but if the sheets are still intact or mostly intact, try another brand.

Use any TP a lot more sparingly than you would at home, cause an "overload" of even quick-dissolve TP can cause a clog. But if it is quick-dissolve TP, it'll dissolve on its own fairly quickly...so don't panic, just wait 30 minutes and flush again.

--Peggie

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I have two jabsco electric heads on my boat and knock on wood all is good with them. However on last boat upgraded manual heads from jabsco to Raritan....... they are nice quality units.

Good luck!

Greg

Jan 4, 2006
Hunter 310 West Vancouver, B.C.
2-ply was 2X 9.2 lb. ream weight and 1-ply was 14.7 lb. ream weight
Now that's a fun fact that you're not going to find on Google. Now I don't feel quite so guilty using the stuff.

As I recall this had the same 90 degree elbow as your new toilet and I ended up having to re route the discharge hose.
Hi Tim,

Now you've got me starting to sweat. Were you not able to use the old Jabsco 45 deg. discharge fitting on the new Raritan to maintain the same hose configuration or is this a case of you talking apples and me talking coconuts ?

I'll be hovering over my computer all day waiting for those photos. Thanks.

I liked the electric because it is a macerator which I think is easier on the holding tank
Never really knew anyone rich enough to afford the electric model. Once knew a guy who knew a guy who was rich enough but no, never first hand. I can see several pros and cons. The luxury of just pushing a button. However, I truly believe the world would cease to exist if, for some reason, the pump failed during a month long trip up north. Out of curiosity, can you remember the approx. price difference between the electric and a manual ?

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I did this swap, and it came with no small number of additional geometry problems to solve on a H31. You can search for my thread, which has pics.

But to your question about the fitting. I seem to recall, but not with certainty, a similar problem. I called Raritan, and the folks sent me a fitting that had the shape I needed. This was at no cost, and after they had answered a zillion other questions, both pre and post purchase, and pre installation. Give them a call.

Jan 4, 2006
I called Raritan, and the folks sent me a fitting that had the shape I needed. This was at no cost, and after they had answered a zillion other questions, both pre and post purchase, and pre installation. Give them a call.
Thanks @SFS . Most impressed that they had an alternate fitting which fit your requirement.

Good to know this is one company that will answer your questions. So many don't ........ "here, buy our product and then take a flying leap, ya sucker:ass:". Those, I try to avoid.

I'll definitely them call if the Jabsco and Raritan fittings are not interchangeable.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
One time we found a complete, brand new pump assembly, for sale at a marine flea market and bought it as a spare. When the one in use sprung a leak we just switched the spare one for it and purchased a repair kit to repair the first pump and keep as a spare. When the time came we installed the repaired pump but sad to say only lasted about a year and a half before it was leaking again. We have since switched the head but my recommendation would be to purchase a pump assembly rather than a repair kit.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Ralph, the PHll fitting will not swap with the Jabsco. I called them to find out. However, I did find the rim of the tailpiece could be sanded down slightly to fit in the PHll clamping ring. I was not told they have a 45 degree tailpiece. BTW, it will take some serious modification of the hose routing for one to fit in my space.

Jan 4, 2006
When the one in use sprung a leak we just switched the spare one for it and purchased a repair kit to repair the first pump and keep as a spare.
When the time came we installed the repaired pump but sad to say only lasted about a year and a half before it was leaking again.
@Benny 17441, are you seeing a leak in the same place each time or is each leak from a different location ? Also, do you slather both inside and ouside of the pump (and whatever else gets in the way) with a liberal coating of Superlube ? Thanks.

And it helps you identify the lexdysics. :rolleyes:
Yeah, and now I think I'm going to go into some kind of shock.

Ralph, the PHll fitting will not swap with the Jabsco. I called them to find out. However, I did find the rim of the tailpiece could be sanded down slightly to fit in the PHll clamping ring.
"Hallelujah " I am saved. Thanks @Rick D for the first hand experience. The PHII is on its way as we speak from a US Amazon outlet (no more left up here) and I have an old spare Jabsco 45 deg. outlet in the shop to test it with when it arrives. Sounds like I'll only have to jig up the Jabsco piece in order to remove a small amount from the circumference.