I'm picking up a new to me '87 H23 tomorrow.

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
I have a feeling the winch eye broke on one of the sides at some point. It's very tight on the inside but the bottom moves in and out a little bit. I don't know how you guys managed to get a wrench in there to secure or loosen any fasteners though. While I was working under the chain locker I capped the thru hull and that old plastic broke really easy. I'm replacing that and the sink drain with bronze and sikaflex 291 so I figure it might be worth replacing the eye at the same time since I will have the sealant. After seeing what happened to the old plastic fittings I would be hesitant about replacing like for like. Any reason I shouldn't go with bronze?

As far as the trailer goes I am sure how to identify who made it. Are there any specific features to look for? It's mostly galvanized sea channel with square two going across, and the winch is tensioned with with wire rope pulling down in front.

Last edited:
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I used a socket wrench with a fairly long socket extension to get at the nuts in the narrow V area. It got the wrench out far enough to swing back and forth maybe 45 degrees, enough to work at the nut.

My trailer has a very faint label (almost worn off) that says KW Trailers or similar. That I think is Ken's Welding. I suspect they are no longer in business but Crazy Dave would know. See if you can find any trace of a label. Your photo is a bit different than mine; I have curved tubular extensions that support the hull boards, not sure if KW used different designs.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I don't know how you guys managed to get a wrench in there to secure or loosen any fasteners though.
If you can get enough room under the bolt's head, I have gotten a lot of use out of one of these...
1685641972302.png

Cut the head off of the bolt and get a new one.

While I was working under the chain locker I capped the thru hull and that old plastic broke really easy. Any reason I shouldn't go with bronze?
The only reason would be cost.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
KW is Ken’s Welding and Ken died years ago. Back in the late 90’s. @isaksp00 send me a pm with phone number if you neeed help.
will call later today as I am weed eating on side of a mountain

• Wow
Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
I don't need any help, but thanks Dave. I dealt with mine a while back.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
I use to call it a K Whopper with the issues. I had a 23 wing keel on a KW trailer one time get sideswiped by a tractor trailer that came left of center. The boat was forced off the trailer passing my car on its keel. I lost the boat and trailer and barely missed being broadsided by a tractor trailer. As a result, I started designing a boat which later became the 23.5

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
I pulled lightly on the chain locker drain and look what I got. I'm sure the plastic thru hulls are much better now but I just can't bring myself to trust it. Just have to wait for the sikaflex 291 and I'll be all set. Though I really should have thought it through and waited since I now have a drain directly into the bilge.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Are you saying the water is being drained from the anchor locker to the inside bilge? If so, not a wise choice. I have left it open if you want some good advice

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@JamesG161

I live on a mountain ridge with 325 degrees views of the Allegheny and Blue Rige mountains. Two months ago, a C 17 USAF cargo plane flew within 600 feet passing my home level with my house. Not long ago, another flew over my home by 300 feet. My home is in the trees to the upper right
IMG_5127.jpeg

Last edited:
  • Wow

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
Are you saying the water is being drained from the anchor locker to the inside bilge? If so, not a wise choice. I have left it open if you want some good advice
Sorry for seeming rather flippant about it all. I'm mostly posting in this thread since I have zero experience and I'm thinking out loud with a chance for someone to correct anything aggregious. I figure once I get my time in and learn the ropes I'll be able to contribute more. I also feel like talking to you now would just be a waste of your time since at most times I would only be operating on my memories instead of being at the boat.

I did look at the forecast and saw it was rain all week and did swap out to drain hose to the new thru hull and tightened it up. Even without caulking I suspect it should be fine for a few days until I get the proper adhesive on it.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
When I bought my first sailboat 60 plus years ago, several old salty sea dog sailors said there were no dumb questions as we all have been there too. I simply give back to the sailing community my experience and knowledge having been a dealer involved in designing and repairing too. I know the Hunter trailerable sailboats all too well and wanted to share with that knowledge and experience so you can have a safe and enjoyable time on your sailboat. Thank you for advising about the anchor locker drain overboard now. I am here to help