I'm picking up a new to me '87 H23 tomorrow.

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
I've never been sailing, and never owned a boat. I've done a fair bit of research on what in general to look for on a simple survey, and noted a couple things to look for on the H23, but does anyone have suggestions on what issues to keep a better eye out for? Any that will mean a hard no?

I'll be bringing a non marring hammer to tap the hull and cabin top to search for soft spots. It comes with a galvanized trailer that looks in good condition as well.

As far as what to look for on the H23 specifically I saw an old review that mentioned the gudgeons cracking the glass where they bolt in, and the rudder frame itself cracking.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
A boat that old may be ugly… don’t let that be a deal killer…. The cosmetics can be fixed … If the hull is sound you are actually buying the sails … OB and trailer. Spend an equal amount of time inspecting those

conversly the boat may be clean and Look great…don’t forget that you are actually buying the sails … OB and trailer.

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
A boat that old may be ugly… don’t let that be a deal killer…. The cosmetics can be fixed … If the hull is sound you are actually buying the sails … OB and trailer. Spend an equal amount of time inspecting those

conversly the boat may be clean and Look great…don’t forget that you are actually buying the sails … OB and trailer.
Those are good tips. The trailer has to drive 6 hours back so inspecting it is definitely important. The whole deal is $2000 so having to buy new sails would probably be half the price of the boat.

Jan 19, 2010
$1500 for the pair

another $2000 for the outboard…. a new trailer is another $2000

you can find a nice boat under $3000 with serviceable sails trailer and OB

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
$1500 for the pair

another $2000 for the outboard…. a new trailer is another $2000

you can find a nice boat under $3000 with serviceable sails trailer and OB
Correct. I found one for $2000. The sails look good, the hull is solid, the trailer made it home, and the outboard is a Johnson sailmaster 6hp. Needs a bit here and there for a 35 year old boat.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
It will be hard to find parts for your motor as Johnson Marine was part of OMC Corporation that went out of business years ago.

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
I do understand that, but as long as it works and gets me into the wind or onto the trailer I'll be fine. I'm going to be sailing on Lake Champlain, and although it's a fairly large lake I should be within sight of shore at all times so it's not like I'll be stranded in the middle of the ocean if I get becalmed.

Mar 2, 2019
Oday 25 Milwaukee
Not hard to find parts for that outboard at all . They made so many for so long that there is quite a substantial amount of vendors to pick from . I use an 8 horse Johnson sail master and have not had any issues when it comes time to buy parts

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
I don't have a picture of it as I am going back to work but the masthead has an eye on the front of the mast. Being a fractional rig it's certainly not for the forestay or the jib halyard. Looking at parts suppliers for the hunter 23 it doesn't look like other mastheads have that part. Does anybody know what it might be for?

Jan 19, 2010
I don't have a picture of it as I am going back to work but the masthead has an eye on the front of the mast. Being a fractional rig it's certainly not for the forestay or the jib halyard. Looking at parts suppliers for the hunter 23 it doesn't look like other mastheads have that part. Does anybody know what it might be for?
:worthless:
Without pics... it is hard to guess what "an eye" looks like... but if it is one of these..

1665425897571.png

Most likely it was to shackle block for a flag halyard. If it is something more substantial, it may have been for a spinnaker block. Do you see any signs of spinnaker hardware?

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
:worthless:
Without pics... it is hard to guess what "an eye" looks like... but if it is one of these..

View attachment 209938

Most likely it was to shackle block for a flag halyard. If it is something more substantial, it may have been for a spinnaker block. Do you see any signs of spinnaker hardware?
Spinnaker block makes sense. It's a flat piece of 1/4" aluminum with a circle cut out and a rounded edge on the inside. Sticks out maybe 3 inches in front of the mast.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Is this thing mounted on the mast extrusion or is it part of the mast crane fitting? Not sure what you mean by "masthead". My 23 does not have anything like that attached to the aluminum mast extrusion. If it is something sticking out from the mast crane, maybe it's there to support a wind instrument or some type of antenna?

Oct 3, 2006
Hunter 23 Philadelphia
Please end some better pictures. And if i'm not mistaken it's a swing keel? so older than 87

Where did you get the boat from?

Wondering if it's my boat sold ~ 2013. I had some spinnaker rigging and that large masthead thing!

Though the stern railing seems gone, so likely not.

Tb0n3

Oct 8, 2022
Hunter 23 Backyard
Please end some better pictures. And if i'm not mistaken it's a swing keel? so older than 87

Where did you get the boat from?

Wondering if it's my boat sold ~ 2013. I had some spinnaker rigging and that large masthead thing!

Though the stern railing seems gone, so likely not.
It's a wing keel. I got it on Long Island and dragged it back to VT. Much gas was burned. I only have a few pictures as I'm usually only home on the weekends and was holding off further posts about the mast crane since I couldn't take a picture yet.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Better to have the wing keel but more difficult to launch.

Do you know anyone wk has experience raising masts by hand?

Jan 19, 2010
That looks like a fairly substantial tang. I'm going with a stay for a spinnaker.